Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbug View Post
In fact, I believe that the bug is related to the conversion of an .epub file to a .kepub.file while calibre is sideloading the book to the device. I manually deleted the .kepub.epub file in the device and manually copied the .epub file from calibre's library and the bug disappeared. Calibre version is 1.16.0 and firmware is 3.1.1.
No, the bug is in the reader application on the device. The reason it went away when you changed from kepub to epub is that the different reader applications are used for these two formats. Both have bugs, but they are different bugs. Only the kepub reader (based on ACCESS) has the freeze when reopening a book. And the bug happens with both sideloaded and purchased kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #62
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Is it the same bug? I have two ePubs that don't have embedded fonts that the reporter says freezes their device after conversion. I can't reproduce this though...
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #63
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi all,

I just wanted to know how to have on my reader two versions of the same document, one as epub, and one as kepub.epub.

It seems that even when I "send to sdcard specific format", I only get a kobo epub file.

I guess something gets mixed up between the kobo plugin and the converting plugin...

Can anyone describe their setup to have this?

Regards,

François
PS: I also have this "loading [name of the file]" freezing problem, which seems to disappear when I reimport the corresponding file into Calibre with the "convert at import" option set to yes... (to be confirmed)
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #64
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
I guess something gets mixed up between the kobo plugin and the converting plugin...
Nope, the two plugins are completely independent. The shared code is included in each package, and neither plugin touches the other during normal operation.

Quote:
I just wanted to know how to have on my reader two versions of the same document, one as epub, and one as kepub.epub.

It seems that even when I "send to sdcard specific format", I only get a kobo epub file.
That sounds like a bug with the driver plugin, not the conversion plugin. Please see the first post for how to file a bug. Either this thread or the driver plugin thread, the two plugins share the same bug tracker and the same directions for submitting bugs. Make sure to note whether this also happens if you send a specific format to main memory instead of the SD card.

Quote:
PS: I also have this "loading [name of the file]" freezing problem, which seems to disappear when I reimport the corresponding file into Calibre with the "convert at import" option set to yes... (to be confirmed)
Please go to https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre-k...r/+bug/1258521 and give more details about this. What do you mean "convert at import"? I've never come across this setting, but I haven't changed any of my conversion settings from their default values either It's very odd that it would be different, since the conversion plugin and the driver plugin call the exact same function that does all the Kobo-ification work the exact same way.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Is it the same bug? I have two ePubs that don't have embedded fonts that the reporter says freezes their device after conversion. I can't reproduce this though...
There might be two ways of triggering the problem. But, I am pretty sure both happen with sideloaded and purchased kepubs.

One thing I have been meaning to check is if this happens with sideloaded fonts. Or if someone has fiddled with the advanced settings of the fonts.
Advert
Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That sounds like a bug with the driver plugin, not the conversion plugin. Please see the first post for how to file a bug. Either this thread or the driver plugin thread, the two plugins share the same bug tracker and the same directions for submitting bugs. Make sure to note whether this also happens if you send a specific format to main memory instead of the SD card.
If the extended plugin is installed and the extended features are enabled, is it possible to send an epub to the device without a conversion? I assumed it always converted them no matter how the epub was sent.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #67
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There might be two ways of triggering the problem. But, I am pretty sure both happen with sideloaded and purchased kepubs.

One thing I have been meaning to check is if this happens with sideloaded fonts. Or if someone has fiddled with the advanced settings of the fonts.
I haven't been able to reproduce it with these ePubs and I've tried side loaded fonts, "Document Default", and playing with the advanced font settings as much as I can (side loaded fonts don't let me go into the real advanced settings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If the extended plugin is installed and the extended features are enabled, is it possible to send an epub to the device without a conversion? I assumed it always converted them no matter how the epub was sent.
At the moment it does. I've never used the specific format feature before, didn't really even know about it, so I've never considered it. I'm happy to see if I can somehow tell when that specific format is chosen and not do the conversion for that case though.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I haven't been able to reproduce it with these ePubs and I've tried side loaded fonts, "Document Default", and playing with the advanced font settings as much as I can (side loaded fonts don't let me go into the real advanced settings).
That does blow that theory.
Quote:
At the moment it does. I've never used the specific format feature before, didn't really even know about it, so I've never considered it. I'm happy to see if I can somehow tell when that specific format is chosen and not do the conversion for that case though.
By the time you get to see the file, I don't think you will be able to tell. I would tend to say that anyone wanting this should do the conversion, and either use the main driver or turn the extended features option off. In both cases, the kepub will be sent if it exists, but it can be overridden with the send specific format.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #69
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Fair enough. Works for me
Old 12-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #70
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

Quote:
What do you mean "convert at import"? I've never come across this setting, but I haven't changed any of my conversion settings from their default values either It's very odd that it would be different, since the conversion plugin and the driver plugin call the exact same function that does all the Kobo-ification work the exact same way.
I meant:
Calibre / preferences / Adding Books / Automatically convert added books to the current output format

Of course, I will try to clarify my problem before sending a bug report.

Regards

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #71
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Yup, not one I've ever used before

Also check what font you're using on your Kobo device.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #72
MrFido
MrFido began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Arc 7, Kobo Vox
Compatible with Kobo Arc 7HD?

I'm sorry if this has been asked but I'm very confused and I can't seem to find any answer to this anywhere...

I have a Kobo Vox that has the Reading Life mode, which I really like. I can see all kinds of reading stats when I stop reading. I bought a Kobo Arc 7HD for my daughter and whether it's a sideloaded book or a book that came straight from Indigo, I can't find this Reading Life anywhere?!

I then learned about this plugin that I installed on my computer. I converted 2 sideloaded books to the kepub format with Calibre and I loaded them (send to device) on the Kobo Arc 7HD device but it was the same as before.

When I convert to kepub with Calibre, it says that the book is available in 2 formats: epub and kepub. If I want to send a specific format to the device, it doesn't offer kepub (which I think I read somewhere because I guess Calibre doesn't natively support this format), so once the ebook is formatted as an kepub, what exactly am I supposed to do with it? If I put the kepub file in a folder on the Kobo and try to import books, it doesn't find it.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist anymore (and if so, why???), or am I doing something wrong? ANY help in understanding this will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MrFido; 12-29-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added a few words
MrFido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #73
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

You need to put the KePub file wherever it is on the Vox that you put side loaded books. Probably not with the normal books. Don't look for reading stats though, you won't get them, but you should get Reading Life awards.

With all that said, neither of my plugins have ever been tested on a Vox and no one has ever said whether either plugin works or not with a Vox.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #74
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to remember that when people have looked at the file structure on the Android devices, that the kEpubs are stored differently than on the eReaders.

** UPDATE **

Just looked on my Nexus and in the folder /sdcard/Kobo/epubs there are three folders; each one named as being an UUID. Within each folder are the contents of the kEpub "expanded".

If this works the same way as the Kobo eReaders operate, then, any "foreign" directories will get removed during the SYNC process.

Last edited by PeterT; 12-29-2013 at 10:10 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #75
MrFido
MrFido began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Arc 7, Kobo Vox
Thank you very much for your post.

Quote:
You need to put the KePub file wherever it is on the Vox that you put side loaded books. Probably not with the normal books.
I assume you meant the Arc since my Vox works well without the plugin (I get Reading Life and everything on the Vox). I've always put my sideloaded books in the Downloads folder, or some other folder, and figured it didn't really matter where I put them because the Kobo would always find them when I try to import them. Are you now saying that it really matters where I put the books on the Kobo? And when we're talking about files, are we only talking about the .kepub ones? Assuming that I put them in the right place, will I simply import them (and if I only copied .kepub files, will my Kobo find them?)? I did put a .kepub file in my downloads yesterday and my Kobo never found it when I wanted to import. Finally, is this the only way of doing it or can I send to device using Calibre (that's what your instructions say, so I was trying to follow them)?

Quote:
Don't look for reading stats though, you won't get them, but you should get Reading Life awards.
I think this may answer my biggest question: no matter how much work I put into this mission, I will never get what I'm really after, and that is the full reading stats that I like so much. I have 2 questions then: if I manage to get this to work well on my Kobo Arc, where will I see the Awards (since the Reading Life page that I'm used to is nowhere to be found)? And the other advantage of using the plugin is to be able to look up words in the dictionary as you're reading, correct?

Quote:
With all that said, neither of my plugins have ever been tested on a Vox and no one has ever said whether either plugin works or not with a Vox.
Again, you're probably talking about the Arc, not the Vox, but I get your point. Let's assume that it works so I can at least make sure I do everything correctly, and then I can tell you if the Arc supports it or not.

One last question: should I install both plugins (the kepub one AND the TouchExtended one)? I only installed the kepub plugin because I thought that's all I needed and having both could cause problems.

Many thanks!

EDIT***

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I seem to remember that when people have looked at the file structure on the Android devices, that the kEpubs are stored differently than on the eReaders.

** UPDATE **

Just looked on my Nexus and in the folder /sdcard/Kobo/epubs there are three folders; each one named as being an UUID. Within each folder are the contents of the kEpub "expanded".

If this works the same way as the Kobo eReaders operate, then, any "foreign" directories will get removed during the SYNC process.
Thanks PeterT. So I guess you're saying that it matters where I put the files, or at least I should make sure to always put them in an existing folder.

Last edited by MrFido; 12-29-2013 at 10:19 AM.
MrFido is offline   Reply With Quote