Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #121
Drake
reading everywhere
Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CyBook Gen3, PocketBook Touch Lux
Since my youth I adore the stories written by Lem, Heinlein and Philipp K Dick,
but when you force me to choose the best one I have read (until now)
I'd say The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuin.

Why? Because the book made me think. Think about concepts of life, sense of our living like we do and I read this battered old volume nearly every year again.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #122
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
A Canticle for Leibowitz or 1984 would be my top choices. Those books stuck with me long after I put them down.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #123
wdi
wdi began at the beginning.

Device: asus transformer; kindle touch
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
wdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #124
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just finished the Ringworld audiobook (great stuff, maybe not 'best,' but I'll pick up the sequels) and started in on Altered Carbon, but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. Opening with a munitions catalog and a generically described gun-totin' mama putting on black stockings is not the best way to convince me to keep reading, insofar as it comes across as a ham-handed ploy to convince me to keep reading.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #125
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I think that's the second or third nomination, and I actually read the book on the basis of the earlier one(s), and I just don't get it. It was good pulp: enjoyable, action-packed, and wearing its themes on its sleeve. It was a fun read and I appreciate the recommendation, but how is above-average Starship Troopers fanfic anyone's "best of" anything?

As discussed above, we'd appreciate some exploration of why you consider it the best.
Because if you strip off the futuristic trappings, it explores the dynamic which often grows between high command and troops in the field pretty well. Also, the whole "engine" thing gives an experiential description of operating in a dissociated state with PTSD.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #126
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Because if you strip off the futuristic trappings, it explores the dynamic which often grows between high command and troops in the field pretty well. Also, the whole "engine" thing gives an experiential description of operating in a dissociated state with PTSD.
Fair enough. I can see how if either your interests or experiences skew toward the military, the book would make a bigger impression. It did have decent human realism, but it still didn't add up to much more than well-executed Starship Troopers fanfic.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #127
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
For those of you just getting into SF, go to The Fifth Imperium. Joe has kindly put up all the Baen cd's for anyone to download.

Don't go wild and try to dl them all, a) there's no need to try and blow up his server and b) the cd's supersede. Just go to the latest Weber, #19 I believe, and dl that. Cruise the site and you'll get the hang of it. On there are quite a few really good authors like Lackey, Bradley, Ringo, Weber... It's worth your time.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #128
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
An almost impossible choice, and so subjective in any event. I won't give reasons for my choices here as they would require a lengthy essay in themselves. There is so much that is good. I too read Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the Dead" many years ago, and would put it right up there with the best. Ender's Game was a good read, but I don't think in the same class as Speaker. The other books in the series were basically unmemorable.

The Legacy of Heorot (Niven, Barnes and Pournelle) is also up there with the best, as is Footfall (Niven and Pournelle) and the previously mentioned "Mote in God's Eye" (Niven and Pournelle).

Finally, who can forget Orwell's "1984".

I also can't escape that nagging feeling that I have overlooked something for this top category.

There are many many novels which are very close, including many of those mentioned here. I searched out Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination" as a young teen after coming across a reference to it in, of all things, a Stephen King short story. An excellent read. I read "The Sparrow" only recently and found the storyline intriguing, though it falls just short of greatness. "Armour" and "Starship Troopers" are both also very good. "2001" is a classic. I loved "Childhood's End" as a Teen, but it is not as good on re-reading it now. Clarke felt compelled to later add a note that he no longer gave any credence to some of the "paranormal" type aspects of the Book.

I plan to start another thread for short stories as so many wonderful authors and ideas have no place here.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #129
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Dune
Old Mans War
War of the worlds
A fire upon the deep
The forever war
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #130
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasch18 View Post
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
OK, but not that film version,
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #131
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Davy - for sure

Long out of print, but special, very special.
"A Canticle for Liebowitz", probably ranks right up there too.
Heinlien's "Farnhams Freehold"

And a prediction for this same thread 20 years from now:
"The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #132
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
My top picks in no particular order would be:

Dune - Frank Herbert
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
1984 - George Orwell
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #133
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
A few more:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars Series --- truly epic, and very well written.
I'm glad somebody beat me to it: this is one of the best trilogies of the past decade. It's definitely on my best list, along with (in random order)

Time enough for love, The moon is a harsh mistress, and others (almost all) by Robert Heinlein
The peace war, Joe Haldeman
The Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
Singularity Sky by Charles Stross
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
Earth by David Brin

My first post to this forum but I have been reading for a while since I got my Kobo. Brilliant place! Thanks to all.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #134
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome ballfresno!
Time Enough for Love is one of my all time favorites!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #135
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
My Personal Favorite: Theodore Sturgeon's "More Than Human"

Interesting thread.

Many of my favorites mentioned, others not.

Parenthetically, I wonder if anyone heard of either of the following: a sci-fi novel with a female character named Superba, and a novel with a plot based on time travel, where the murderer/protagonist travels to the end of time and back to the site of the murder. I read both as a pre to early teenager in the early fifties and haven't been able to recall or retrieve the titles.

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi novel