Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
sweeticemountain
sweeticemountain began at the beginning.

Device: kobo-desktop.deb
Help with installing kobo-desktop.deb on ubuntu 32 bit

I'm having trouble getting kobo-desktop.deb to work on ubuntu.
When I go to kobo and download a book using .deb to open it I get the message
"Could not open the file /home/Documents/kobo-desktop.deb."
and " gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again."

I am computer illiterate, so if anyone can walk me through fixing this, much appreciated. Synaptic says kobo-desktop is installed, but I've only just discovered synaptic and terminal exist so...
sweeticemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
tbear
tbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeticemountain View Post
Synaptic says kobo-desktop is installed, but I've only just discovered synaptic and terminal exist so...
I am also a ubuntu 32bit user. I don't know why your computer tries to open .deb file using gedit.
Do you see "Kobo Desktop eReader" program in the Applications menu/other category? Or you can type Kobo in the terminal if it is properly installed.
tbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Right-click on the kobo-desktop.deb file and select "Open With GDebi Package Installer" and follow the prompts.

Seems a little strange that your system is wanting to use GEdit to open a .deb (to fix that right click a .deb and go Properties and select the Open With tab then select the radio button for Ubuntu Software of GDebi (your choice) and hit close).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote