Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josch91 View Post
I'm also sure that my Windows 7 is 64bit.
And my Windows 7 isn't an update from Vista. I'installed it the normal way.
That... complicates matters. I honestly don't know what could be the problem... try reinstalling the vcredist libraries.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That... complicates matters. I honestly don't know what could be the problem... try reinstalling the vcredist libraries.
This doesn't change anything.
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
I always wipe my machines and do a clean install to get rid of the crapware so many OEMs put on their machines.
They way I do it is.

3) Backup the current state of the machine (Windows Backup/Acronis True Image/Norton Ghost) so that if I f**k up I can just restore and try again. Miss out this step and things WILL go wrong, you have been warned!

Thanks!
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
This doesn't change anything.
Hmmm...maybe for now, I'll just use the 32 bit on my other machine! I want to embed fonts in my epub and I understand Sigil is my best bet.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm out of ideas.

It has to be something with your computer, there are hundreds of people using x64 versions of Sigil without issues (and for 0.1.x, thousands). This thread is the first I've heard of someone being able to run Sigil x86, but not x64.

Let's try eliminating some variables.
  1. Uninstall Sigil.
  2. Go to Start->Run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes).
  3. Find the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Strahinja Markovic" folder.
  4. Delete it.
  5. Download beta3 x64 from the project site.
  6. Install it to the default location.
  7. Try running it now.
Then report back.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #21
JaneFancher
Zealot

Valloric, I really appreciate your time and know this has to be incredibly frustrating.

I don't think that last post was aimed at me, but I have one more thing to add. I finally got Windows to cough up some information on the "sigil has stopped working" front. The files it's sending to Microsoft that are "relevant" are:

...\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2D9E.tmp.WERInternalMeta data.xml
...\AppData\Local\Temp\WER42A5.tmp.appcompat.txt
...\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4362.tmp.mdmp

Does that mean anything to you? I could send them to you if you'd like.

Thanks again
Old 04-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #22
Valloric

Attach them here if you can, yes. Also, there should be a "more info" button or something in the dialog from Windows informing you that the application has crashed. If you can provide that info, that would be great.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #23
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
Valloric, I really appreciate your time and know this has to be incredibly frustrating.

I don't think that last post was aimed at me, but I have one more thing to add. I finally got Windows to cough up some information on the "sigil has stopped working" front. The files it's sending to Microsoft that are "relevant" are:

...\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2D9E.tmp.WERInternalMeta data.xml
...\AppData\Local\Temp\WER42A5.tmp.appcompat.txt
...\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4362.tmp.mdmp

Does that mean anything to you? I could send them to you if you'd like.
I'm getting the same error. Here are the files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Error.zip (113.6 KB, 326 views)
Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #24
Valloric

Do both of you have a drawing tablet connected to your computer?

JaneFancher, please attach your files too when you find the time, having two data points would be very valuable.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #25
Josch91
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Do both of you have a drawing tablet connected to your computer?
Yes, I have one, but it is not connected. The Software and drivers are installed.

Edit:
Valloric, you find the source of the error.
I ended the service "TabletServicePen" and now Sigil 64bit is starting without any problem.

Last edited by Josch91; 04-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
Valloric

Quote:
Yes, I have one, but it is not connected. The Software and drivers are installed.

Edit:
Valloric, you find the source of the error.
I ended the service "TabletServicePen" and now Sigil 64bit is starting without any problem.
That was one bizarre bug. Must be something with the tablet driver.

EDIT: Actually I think I get it. 64 bit applications are not allowed to load 32 bit DLLs, and the tablet driver is injecting itself into the application. I can clearly see that from the files you posted.

Try installing the 64 bit version of that driver, or just leave the tablet service turned off.

JaneFancher, do you have Wacom tablet drivers installed too?

Last edited by Valloric; 04-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
JaneFancher
Zealot

Josch91, thanks for the heads up! I got distracted last night and forgot to check back.

Valloric, you're great. Yes, I've got a wacom...couldn't live without it. It won't let me shut down the service...maybe because firefox is engaged and "using" it? but I'll give it a try. I'll also go after the 64 bit drivers. Wacom must have them.

Hmmmm...wonder what then happens with 32 bit programs that call on the wacom. ARGH. This 64 bit machine is a never-ending source of excitement.

Thanks again to both of you!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
JaneFancher
Zealot

Poo poo poo...it works if I turn off the tablet, but I went and got the new drivers...32 and 64 in same download...and tried starting it up with the tablet and the same thing happened. I've got the right drivers, could something be triggering the wrong ones to load? I mean, I dunno nothin' about it, but here are the files from the error msg

If you want to just forget this Valloric, that's cool. At least I know how to make it run. Thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip WER31DA.tmp.appcompat.zip (116.2 KB, 305 views)
Old 04-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #29
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
I've got the right drivers, could something be triggering the wrong ones to load?
I've got and idea what might be causing it. Try installing Sigil into the "Program Files" directory, and not the "Program Files (x86)" directory which Sigil picks by default.

If that doesn't work, then I'm really out of ideas. Either way, it's a Wacom issue because if this does work, then someone at Wacom is dumb enough to assume that an application's installation directory is any indication of its target architecture.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #30
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I know this may seem a bit dumb but unless you are working on HUGE data files (gigabyte+) running 64bit software on a 64bit operating system in not a great benefit.

In fact it can be a hindrance, due to the memory footprint increasing.

My point here is, if the 32bit version of Sigil works with the Wacom drivers you have installed then stay with that.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, load, sigil, slow