Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #181
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
What I find aggravating, is that you can't put a Kindle copy on your wish-list. So, I have a ton of paperback books on my Amazon wish-list, which I end up purchasing elsewhere to avoid DRM.
there are quite a few things not on Kindle that are frustrating/irritating. I had started reading a George R.R. Martin series a ways back and for whatever reasons, all of the books took a hike before I could read them (or I did). I just re-purchased them for my Kindle knowing full well that it is only the first 4 or 6 or somesuch of the set. I'm not sure what I'll do when I come to the end of these... fret?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #182
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've been happy with my Sony -- so I've emptied my Amazon treebook wishlist. Even if I had a Kindle, I don't think the Amazon store wishlist system has an ebook option yet. Hoots. Neil
Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #183
MattP
MattP began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
March 2010, still no Muslim country other than Albania and Bosnia

I have just noticed this while browsing through the countries that Kindle is shipped and Kindle ebooks can be downloaded. Many of the countries such as Canada that are listed here as non-available can received Kindles. However, the situation with Muslim countries other than Albania and Bosnia still hold. The entire Muslim world is 1.6 billion with many rich, secular, democratic, and English-literate countries. I can understand why Iran is excluded because of US sanctions but what explains the absence of Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Egypt among others. None of these countries are in the list. Israel and S. Korea is listed as no-shipping but ebook downloadable country. So no Kindles to them but they can buy kindle ebooks. this is not true for Muslims. I see this a bad image for the company. I emailed amazon asking for clarification and will send you if I receive an explanation. Even though I am based in the United States, I will not do business with amazon if there is no clear explanation for this odd situation. Maybe it is not the company policy as it is possible to buy physical books from amazon shipped to many of Muslim countries, a fact that refutes many of the culture-based arguments listed here. but it is our right to know why amazon excludes Muslim nations when the book is electronic.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #184
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
That is a big assumption really. There are a great deal of ebooks that are geographically restricted that Australian residents cannot buy for instance. Do I assume that that is because I drive a car on the opposite side to US drivers or that I put the "u" in colour I am targeted for exclusion?

As mentioned many times on MR, ebook restrictions affect everyone and Amazon or publishers would assuredly not deliberately target any group of people for exclusion religious or otherwise. Geographic restrictions are purely distribution based (outdated business practices or not), not application of religious persecution.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 AM   #185
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
I have just noticed this while browsing through the countries that Kindle is shipped and Kindle ebooks can be downloaded. Many of the countries such as Canada that are listed here as non-available can received Kindles. However, the situation with Muslim countries other than Albania and Bosnia still hold. The entire Muslim world is 1.6 billion with many rich, secular, democratic, and English-literate countries. I can understand why Iran is excluded because of US sanctions but what explains the absence of Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Egypt among others. None of these countries are in the list. Israel and S. Korea is listed as no-shipping but ebook downloadable country. So no Kindles to them but they can buy kindle ebooks. this is not true for Muslims. I see this a bad image for the company. I emailed amazon asking for clarification and will send you if I receive an explanation. Even though I am based in the United States, I will not do business with amazon if there is no clear explanation for this odd situation. Maybe it is not the company policy as it is possible to buy physical books from amazon shipped to many of Muslim countries, a fact that refutes many of the culture-based arguments listed here. but it is our right to know why amazon excludes Muslim nations when the book is electronic.
I think you are looking at this the wrong way. Actually what you should be considering is how many of these very conservative countries would like their citizens to have access to Kindle ebooks? The governments and major parts of Muslim societies would be deeply offended. I am sure Amazon would be more than happy to take their money, if they could.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 AM   #186
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Sure, but shouldn't this be easy for Amazon to clarify or explain?

"We would like to sell to these countries but
a.) aren't allowed to due to contractual terms / jurisdictional issues
b.) consider local censorship a grave issue for our readers
c.) simply didn't think about it yet"

Or won't AT&T provide coverage for those countries?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 AM   #187
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Amazon is in it for the money... not for any political reasons.... They're a business - here to make money...

The fact that I can't buy certain books from Amazon is due to the publishers, not Amazon itself.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #188
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Sure, but shouldn't this be easy for Amazon to clarify or explain?

"We would like to sell to these countries but
a.) aren't allowed to due to contractual terms / jurisdictional issues
b.) consider local censorship a grave issue for our readers
c.) simply didn't think about it yet"

Or won't AT&T provide coverage for those countries?
Explaining that local censorship is a grave issue again might offend a lot of people, too. Think about Singapore. How can they win, whatever they say, someone will pounce on them. Keeping silent may be the best option.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #189
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Just another troll.
He wants to incite the flame. 1 post and in such topic.
Ignore him please.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #190
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I don't know that we can be sure about that, Astra. It's also true that new members join because they want to give their views on controversial issues, and it prompts them to stop lurking.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #191
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I don't know that we can be sure about that, Astra. It's also true that new members join because they want to give their views on controversial issues, and it prompts them to stop lurking.
If you honestly believe in it
Whatever...
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #192
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
I guess Amazon hates country people...my mom lives out in the country. She could buy a Kindle but she wouldn't be able to download books!..No internet no Cell coverage most of the time...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #193
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
The problem may be with what could be inside.

Harlequin Romances

Has anyone checked to see if ANY ereaders are allowed in Muslim countries?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harlequin romances.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	48078  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #194
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Everyoone, please stop replying to this thread so it can die in peace and we can get back to the business of e-readers and not personal biases
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #195
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
The problem may be with what could be inside.

Harlequin Romances

Has anyone checked to see if ANY ereaders are allowed in Muslim countries?
I would agree that Censorship could play a role in releasing eBooks but there are eBook Readers in Turkey. Check Walkbook in our wiki. Of course it was done by a local company.

Dale
Closed Thread

Tags
censorship, international, islam, kindle, muslim