Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
The Economist on the future of e-reader displays

Interesting stuff on where e-reader display technology is/might be going

http://www.economist.com/sciencetech...ry_id=15048695

<hoping this isn't behind the paywall>
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sad.

Lots of the usual irrelevant guff about colour and video (yes, I know, shiny fluff sells), nothing about improving the borderline resolution that we have currently.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
or about it being a good or bad purchase which I thought the Economist was all about... advice for the thouroughly stuffy and overly wealthy
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
How about fixing the annoying lag and flash that all e-readers have. I finally managed to get my hands on a Sony ereader the other day and yep, I didn't like it. Not near as nice as my Jetbook LCD screen
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
that doesn't seem to be an issue with the Kindle
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is the best summary of the competing screen technologies that might make it into mainstream Readers I have seen. Most of this stuff is 1-2 years out at least and don't forget (as the article says):
Quote:
Now for a reality check: in the history of ingenious display technologies, only a handful have ever made it into mass production.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
or about it being a good or bad purchase which I thought the Economist was all about... advice for the thouroughly stuffy and overly wealthy
Not sure where that comes from: it's not a financial advice or consumer buying magazine; it's a news and current affairs magazine that runs regular technology surveys. The surveys focus on tech trends and ideas, not on product reviews and advice.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think a large part of the Economist's readership are more worried about whether the stock is a good or bad purchase .
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I do wonder a lot about these technologies. Mirasol may well be put into use in 2010 as they plan, but their literature tends to offer varying numbers for contrast/reflectance. They seem to boast 60% reflectance and 15:1 contrast in one place, then change that to 50% and 8:1 in other places.

Liquavista also claims to have improved contrast and brightness a bit over EPDs like Vizplex, though they don't really offer much current information about the state of the tech, and their site and videos are a bit lacking. On the other hand, there was a really interesting picture shown here. I wish they had a larger, higher quality picture, but even the small one shows quite an advantage next to e-ink (mostly in black state, but even white is about 10% better in the pic), even if it continues to fall noticeably short of paper.

Pixel Qi is going to be interesting and I will probably opt for some kind of device with it as long as the device is useful, but for a dedicated reader, it does not seem to resolve my primary problem with current EPD: Poor white-state reflectance and contrast. It does, however, resolve the speed issue, which is great. Since full operating systems now allow some control over the text anti-aliasing methods, it's possible that fonts can be tweaked to display better on Pixel Qi than on standard EPD-bearing hardware. That's one of the big questions I have about Pixel Qi's readability, and I look forward to trying it out in the future.

Yes it's certainly possible that these techs won't make it far, or will only see commercial products in a few years, but some of these techs already have fabs running and are nearly, if not already, prepared for production.

Of course, E-Ink and other EPDs could keep their hold on the market, and I just hope that if they do, they'll take care of their problems...brighter whites, much blacker blacks, higher resolutions, and quicker refreshes (even if not video speeds)
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I think a large part of the Economist's readership are more worried about whether the stock is a good or bad purchase .
I'm a long-time subscriber to The Economist and I must be missing something: I have yet to read/see an article that gives me advice about a stock. What I do read/see are articles that discuss current events and news in depth, something that magazines like Time and Newsweek did in the 1960s, but no longer do. I'm not sure where people get the idea that The Economist is a financial magazine unless it is from its name.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
let's hope high quality color ebooks are around the corner. 2011? mirasol looks promising.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm a long-time subscriber to The Economist and I must be missing something: I have yet to read/see an article that gives me advice about a stock. What I do read/see are articles that discuss current events and news in depth, something that magazines like Time and Newsweek did in the 1960s, but no longer do. I'm not sure where people get the idea that The Economist is a financial magazine unless it is from its name.
I have to agree...that was an article from the "before time" when news pieces were not dumbed down for the "soundbite" sorts that we have today. It reminded not so much of the old Newsweek or Time, I just did not read them much, but of the old Byte Magazine where the tech articles really explained what was what, going to great lengths to NOT be biased.

I took away a lot of information from the article and sense it was a nice impartial presentation of the state of the display panel world today. Also there was a glimpse as to what might be just around the corner.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
LCDs also have a long way to go don't forget. They are trying to develop smaller crystals, tighter resolutions. Apparently when you view a super high resolution and a high refresh rate on a device, that eye strain problem doesn't occur. Also eventually there becomes a point when the resolution is high enough that it begins to feel like reading from a plain piece of paper.

When they reach that state they will be supurb for reading from. LCD will clearly be the victor because e-ink doesn't play videos, computer games, do color screen internet, 1080p movie playback. LCD will. Because of that the market will overwhelmingly buy an LCD device and also use that for e-books. Only the hardcore reading niche will stick with e-ink once those super high res screens come out.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote