Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
Stollenkuh Toli
Stollenkuh Toli began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Python with W10 and USB 3.0

Hi,
Calibre portable worked so far perfect. I have a new computer with W10 instead of W7.
By this change, I shifted my library on a new USB 3.0 hard disc. And I get the "Python function terminated" feedback. When I install the same V2.82.00 on my old USB 2.0 HDD, it works again.
Is there something in general with USB 3.0 or something special with my configuration?
Thank you in advance
Stollenkuh Toli
Stollenkuh Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenkuh Toli View Post
Hi,
Calibre portable worked so far perfect. I have a new computer with W10 instead of W7.
By this change, I shifted my library on a new USB 3.0 hard disc. And I get the "Python function terminated" feedback. When I install the same V2.82.00 on my old USB 2.0 HDD, it works again.
Is there something in general with USB 3.0 or something special with my configuration?
Thank you in advance
Stollenkuh Toli
We need the EXACT error output (copy & Paste. Please use [spoiler] tags)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi,
Thank you in advance
Stollenkuh Toli
FWIW - I access calibre libraries on disks I mount in a USB 3.0 disk dock, they're formatted for NTFS and they're compressed. No problems, quick too, faster than same drives (2TB WD Black Caviar) on internal SATA 2.

That suggests it's something with your config, is it a built in USB 3.0 controller or separate, mine is a 2 port Hitachi card on an aging gigabyte mobo.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Stollenkuh Toli

Python with W10 and USB 3.0

I translate the German message:
Python function terminated unexpectedly DLL load failed: The mentioned modul was not found (Error Code 1). Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
I have W10, 64 bit.
The extarnal Hard disc is a WD Element 10B8 USB Device, NTFS. Driver 10.0.14393.0 which is confirmed to be the latest version.
The USB controller is built in the HP Laptop.
Intel (R) USB 3.0 eXtensible - Hostcontroller- 1.0 Microsoft
Driver: 10.0.14393.0 ( Same as WD HD??)
If you need further information let me know.
BR from
Stollenkuh Toli
Old 04-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Stollenkuh Toli - Can you post the message verbatim

If it's a calibre message, there will be a "Copy to clipboard" button, click that and post clipboard contents here,

If its a windows message, take a screen shot of it and post here - in advanced mode, click the paper clip to upload the image to here.

BR
Old 04-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
Stollenkuh Toli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Stollenkuh Toli - Can you post the message verbatim

If it's a calibre message, there will be a "Copy to clipboard" button, click that and post clipboard contents here,

If its a windows message, take a screen shot of it and post here - in advanced mode, click the paper clip to upload the image to here.

BR
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Fehlermeldung.PNG
Views:	175
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	156192
The message pops up after Calibre asks if the programm should be launched.
Or when I try to start Calibre with the ususal "start icon"
BR
Stollenkuh Toli
Old 04-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW I have a Elements, connected to a USB3 port on W10x64. it behaves
Old 04-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Stollenkuh Toli

@ the ducks,
your reply inspired me to install Calibre on another USB 3.0 ( Seagate 2TB) and it works promptly.
What might be helpful with the WD?
Right now, the scan is running. Then I start the defrag. I don't want to format the WD.
If all does not help, I install Calibre on the Seagate.
If you have any other idea, let me know.
Anyway, I reply with the result of my efforts.
Happy Easter holiday
Stollenkuh Toli
Old 04-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@ the ducks,
your reply inspired me to install Calibre on another USB 3.0 ( Seagate 2TB) and it works promptly.
What might be helpful with the WD?
Right now, the scan is running. Then I start the defrag. I don't want to format the WD.
If all does not help, I install Calibre on the Seagate.
If you have any other idea, let me know.
Anyway, I reply with the result of my efforts.
Happy Easter holiday
Stollenkuh Toli
Only idea, is to exclude the Elements from being used for Windows Cache.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Stollenkuh Toli

Hmmm,
How can I do this?
That's beyond my own knowledge and experience.
Scan and defrag was done without success.
BR
Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Only idea, is to exclude the Elements from being used for Windows Cache.
If you mean Super Fetch that uses a real RAM. If you mean Ready Boost, it shouldn't even be available on a spinning drive. Nor should it if the system drive is an SSD (SSD + Super Fetch should always trump Ready Boost).

@Stollenkuh Toli - go to Control Panel->Device Manager->Disks right click the external drive and look at Properties, IMO you should not see a Ready Boost Tab, if you do click the Do not use this device (topmost) radio button.

To be Ready Boost compatible, the device must:
  • Be at least 256 MB in size, with at least 64 KB of free space.
  • Have an access time of 1 ms or less.
  • Have at least a 2.5 MB/sec throughput for 4 KB random reads.
  • Have at least a 1.75 MB/sec throughput for 1 MB random writes.

I moved this to a separate thread because I wondered how Elements got into the act - I was assuming you were referring to Adobe Elements And it deserves its own thread anyway.

BR
Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
Stollenkuh Toli

Hi all,
Suddenly it worked. I created another file path and it worked.
Thanks to all of you for your time and support.
Stollenkuh Toli