Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #1981
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Kumabjorn: Possibly not being psychic and knowing what you actually want to call it? .

Kidding aside: if it's doable, probably could put a text box+button to create it instead of instructions on how to it manually. Patch welcome .
Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #1982
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
User could always change it later, I just believe that software should always aspire to make it as easy for the end user as possible, but I also realize that there are other approaches to UI, such as minimizing CPU resources.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #1983
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is there some reason the plug-in can't create a column on its own?
That is dangerous.

What if you already had a column with that name, but not associated with the PI? A mess if the PI did manage to run
Besides, Adding a column requires a calibre restart before it can be used

I do believe in cases of user defined column usage, that any PI uses them should do basic sanity check and report errors in simple terms (not rely on a crash report).

1) The PI has been initially configured (valid at the time).
2) When starting, the configuration is checked against the current Library to be sure that the columns exist and are of the correct types.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #1984
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks: Thanks for the gory details .
Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #1985
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is dangerous.

What if you already had a column with that name, but not associated with the PI? A mess if the PI did manage to run
Besides, Adding a column requires a calibre restart before it can be used

I do believe in cases of user defined column usage, that any PI uses them should do basic sanity check and report errors in simple terms (not rely on a crash report).

1) The PI has been initially configured (valid at the time).
2) When starting, the configuration is checked against the current Library to be sure that the columns exist and are of the correct types.
See, this makes sense, now I understand why it is the way it is. From a laywoman's perspective this begs two questions:
1. Can a plug-in scan the columns and determine their names?
2. Is there a specific reason Calibre needs to restart when a column is added?

Thank you for a rational explanation. I'd send you karma if I wasn't on Tapatalk.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #1986
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
See, this makes sense, now I understand why it is the way it is. From a laywoman's perspective this begs two questions:
1. Can a plug-in scan the columns and determine their names?
2. Is there a specific reason Calibre needs to restart when a column is added?

Thank you for a rational explanation. I'd send you karma if I wasn't on Tapatalk.
When you 'add' a column in the GUI and click Apply, that only sets up the task.
The db must be detached, then the field is created (and all the linkage custom column magick happens)
The restart allows the GUI to 'discover' and display the column .

#1 can't happen until the column exists from #2 restart (attach horse to cart)

BTW You probably noticed the many plugins need a restart when first installed. Same sort of thing. Get all the pieces in place then 'discover' them while building up the GUI.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #1987
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

My comparison is with Excel, the db in Calibre looks exactly like a data sheet and you don't need to name those because each cell has a preordained moniker (z.34 etc) so can I assume that those don't exist in Calibre?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #1988
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
My comparison is with Excel, the db in Calibre looks exactly like a data sheet and you don't need to name those because each cell has a preordained moniker (z.34 etc) so can I assume that those don't exist in Calibre?
The underlying metaphor for a spreadsheet is a ledger book

Being a database application, the underlying metaphor for Calibre is a card index

Your file manager can present a tabular list of your files rather like Calibre presents your books, the underlying structure of your file system has a lot more in common with a calibres database than with a spreadsheet.

The Properties sheet of a file is not dissimilar to the Book Information panel in calibre (press 'i') - I can't think of a parallel in a spreadsheet. A spreadsheet can do arithmetic inherently - a database can't, someone has to write some code

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-20-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #1989
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Spreadsheets are 'Cell Oriented'
Databases are Record Oriented (a whole row) in a flat file
Calibre is a Relational database that is presented as a flat file.
The card analogy is close (dead on if calibre had been done as an inefficient Flat file)

(very simplified) You have :
Books (titles). Books Have Authors, Publishers, Tags and may belong to Series with a Index position. Each of these is represented by a Key number.
(the books table does not actually have the Publishers Name in it, it has the key number of the Publisher name that is in the Publishers table ( a Many to 1).
Tags is a little more tricky. There is an intermediate table that has a record (line) for each tag (again a Key # from the Tags Table) that is assigned to the book (which is a link key to the book (a 1 to Many))

In a spreadsheet: if you don't use care when you sort on a column, you scramble the column because the cell is not locked to the row
In a DB, the row is always kept together.

Kovid has done a very nice job here. The way custom columns was implemented is Brilliant because it attaches to the core DB rather than modify the basic DB (You probably don't care how,as long as it works )
Old 03-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #1990
s.lee.f
s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4 non touch
wher can i actually download it? on the internet
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #1991
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.lee.f View Post
wher can i actually download it? on the internet
@s.lee.f From within calibre - Preferences->Plug-ins->Get new plug-ins - sort the list by clicking on the Plug-in Name column header. Scroll down to find it, double click it

BR
Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #1992
kalkenji
kalkenji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm not sure if anyone have experienced this, but whenever i imported collection from calibre using collection manager, only one collection i have contain more than 1000 books, doesn't sync into the device (the collection is shown on the device but there are no books inside). Other collections work fine.

I assume it has something to do with large number of books that exceed the limit but may be i'm wrong. I can try to half the number of books in that collection and sync in, then do another batch to fill up, but i'm afraid all collections will rebuild itself rather than update the content within it and this will not work. Any solution please help !!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #1993
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kalkenji: I recall someone in the Kindle forum mentioning a similar issue with bog-standard collections with over 999 items, so I guess that, yeah, we can assume 999 is a hard limit.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #1994
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235353

Final resolution:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I checked with Amazon and it is indeed a limitation to cap the collections at 999.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #1995
kalkenji
kalkenji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks NiLuJe. You just save my next 24hrs of frustration. i guess i will split the collection in half and name each differently.
Closed Thread