Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Touch Screen & Footnotes on the PRS-700

I am currently ambivalent about upgrading from my Sony PRS-505 to the new 700 but one thing that would make a difference to me would be if the 700 made footnotes accessible by a tap.

I am currently reading (and enjoying very much) Taylor Branch's Parting the Waters, the first of 3 volumes dealing with the civil rights era during the Martin Luther King years. Frequently in the book there will be an asterisk to indicate an explanatory note, but the note is not accessible (only God knows where to find it in the book itself ).

My question is this: Does anyone know if the 700 will enable me to tap the asterisk and have the explanatory note appear? (Presumably if it does, it will enable a similar popup for standard footnotes/endnotes.) If no one knows, does anyone know who I can contact who might have the answer?

Thanks.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Hyperlinks are tappable. From your post I understand that the asterisks currently are not set up as hyperlinks, so you will need to do this manually. But once you do, then yes, a tap will take you to the note.

Last edited by Dave Berk; 10-15-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Hyperlinks are tappable. From your post I understand that the asterisks currently are not set up as hyperlinks, so you will need to do this manually. But once you do, then yes, a tap will take you to the note.
Dave, I purchased the book from Sony Connect, so I have no idea if the asterisks are currently set up as hyperlinks. If they were, would there be some way to access them in the 505?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If they're set up as hyper links, they should be navigable with the jogpad (assuming you haven't hacked it to do something else, of course ), and selectable by clicking the jogpad. In fact, the first one on each page ought to be automatically highlighted.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Nat they are highlighted, which I thought odd. (I haven't hacked my 505 -- I don't have the sophistication or the courage to do so.) I assume by the jogpad you mean the button at the bottom left of the 505. I have been using that to change pages. I didn't realize it would work for viewing the notes as well. I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The jogpad is the one on the bottom right corner.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
What WillAdams said. When one of your asterisks is highlighted, try clicking the center of that lower, right hand button, that should take you to the relevant note. Usually the note will have a similar high-lightable place that will take you back, or you can click left on that same jogpad, and it should return you to your previous page.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
And you can use up/down arrows to switch between links if there are several on the page.
It's all mentioned in the manual BTW.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Thank you, thank you

Thank you all for your responses.

I tried it (and once I got the Reader in front of me, I realized it was on the right not the left ) and it works just as I had hoped/needed. It was so frustrating to be 2000 pages into the book and not have been able to read any of the notes. Of course, I didn't think to look in the manual. That would be much too easy and obvious.

Once again, I can take the PRS-700 off my list -- my 505 does all I need -- at least for the moment.

Again, thanks for all your help. MR is the greatest.