Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My daddy taught me to wind my watch every night before going to bed, then I got an LED watch that I had to change the battery every few months depending on how often I lit it up, then I got an LCD watch and the battery would last for a year or two, then I got a solar powered watch that I never had to change the battery on. Why in the world would I go back to charging da buggah up every week?
If the capacitor stops holding a charge you will have to replace it. And they are a lot more expensive than batteries.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I have a Pebble and the screen is much too small for comfortable reading. It's okay for reading text messages and the like but certainly not for Les Miserables.

Unlike most folks here, I actually find the Pebble to be pretty convenient. Oftentimes, I have my phone either inside my purse, in a (tight fitting) jeans pocket, charging or underneath a mound of papers. Basically, not easily accessible. With the Pebble I can just view notifications, read SMS and screen calls from my watch. No need to take out the phone. The Pebble is also water resistant up to 165 feet so you could take it swimming (although I can't imagine getting signal that far below ). Besides, the price tag isn't bad. Costs about the same as a decent watch.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Please tell us more. Do you feel that it useable or us it more of a trinket? Do you need to spend a lot of time on it to have settings the way you like?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Please tell us more. Do you feel that it useable or us it more of a trinket? Do you need to spend a lot of time on it to have settings the way you like?
Hmm, I'd say it's more a useful trinket? It's certainly convenient and set-up was pretty easy (paired with an iPhone). Not exactly a must-have but it's the only watch I've continuously worn for over a few months. Other watches I've gotten, I pretty much use for a month or so after which I tend to lose them and don't bother trying to find it. This one is useful enough beyond the time-telling functionality that I've missed it on the few times I've forgotten to wear it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
As for the name, I have a cat called Pebbles, so it must be good!

(A bit off thread, sorry!)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #21
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Fellow Pebble owner here...

For all practical purposes, I live in a cave, so I don't have a smartphone. Instead, my Pebble's paired with my iPad mini. Thus, I don't get notifications on it when I'm out and about (no wi-fi), but that aspect works just fine at home. What I like most is the ability to load up to eight custom watchfaces - in addition to the three that are part of the firmware - and switch between them at will.

This came in handy when I was at a convention last month and could let people scan my watch instead of taking a business card. (I built a one-off face that's just my name, the time, and a QR code that links to my online bio.)

As for reading on it...um, no. It's a 144-pixel (square) screen, straight black and white (no grayscale), and it's got a glossy finish. Not ideal for reading anything much longer than a tweet...and that assumes you find a way to load a book onto the thing. It just doesn't have the memory for it.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Can't imagine trying to read in such a small screen.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #23
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Can't imagine trying to read in such a small screen.
No kidding. And even if you could cram a document onto it, there's no infrastructure to handle formatting. I mean, it's a watch - there's no HTML rendering engine, no ZIP manager, no file system...nothing that even the most basic ereaders take for granted. About the only way you could manage would be to strip out all the formatting and turn the book into a text file, then turn that into a custom app that you could then load onto the watch. Even then, you've got strict size limits; each app's binaries are limited to 24K with 96K of resources.

So, no - I'd have to say that trying to read a book via Pebble is a nonstarter. The only way I could even think of to make it remotely feasible would be, once the two-way communication API is finalized, for the smartphone to handle the formatting tasks and have the Pebble act as a tiny window into the document. Use the up button to go back a screen, the down button to go forward, and have an app on the smartphone that sends the proper fragment.

You'd be much better off just reading the book on the smartphone.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a teacher i would imagine that this would be the ultimate cheat device for students.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #25
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a friend who has an RSS reader on his watch, so he can catch up with his feeds while not blatantly staring into his phone. That being said, I don't think the watch would really make a good e-reader either.

That being said, I've only had it for a couple of days but I can already tell it's going to be really convenient. Checking notifications while on my bike without having to dig the phone out of my pocket...pausing music after I get off my bike to walk into a restaurant without having to dig it out and unlock it...

As for the seven day battery life, many of the other smartwatches on the market won't even last a whole day. Seven is pretty darned good for all the things it does.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #26
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I have a friend who has an RSS reader on his watch, so he can catch up with his feeds while not blatantly staring into his phone. That being said, I don't think the watch would really make a good e-reader either.
So now he's blatantly watching his watch?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #27
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
As a teacher i would imagine that this would be the ultimate cheat device for students.
As an old fogey I would imagine that the return of oral exams could counter that completely.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
As an old fogey I would imagine that the return of oral exams could counter that completely.
Good luck trying to push that through a budget committee
Old 04-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #29
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Goodness, I can't imagine how sore my wrist would be holding it in a position suitable for reading long enough to read a book!
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Other watches I've gotten, I pretty much use for a month or so after which I tend to lose them and don't bother trying to find it.
How many watches have you owned? I have one watch which I've owned for over 30 years now. I put it on when I get up in the morning; I take it off when I go to bed at night. I've never lost it, nor felt any need to replace it. It's a good quality Swiss-made watch which keeps excellent time (so much so that the only occasions I ever adjust the time are when I go to a different time zone).

The only thing I ever have to do with it is get the battery replaced every few years.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-07-2015 at 05:54 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote