Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Does Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 have a USB Port?

I see it has a micro-SD slot. Does it also have a USB port so I can connect it to a computer via a USB cable? I have looked online, but I'm not quite sure? Does it require and adapter?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I see it has a micro-SD slot. Does it also have a USB port so I can connect it to a computer via a USB cable? I have looked online, but I'm not quite sure? Does it require and adapter?
Yes, it does have a micro USB port.
Updated: Sorry, it does NOT have a micro USB port. I was mixing up my Samsung devices. My Samsung Galaxy SII has a micro USB port.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 12-14-2012 at 08:57 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I have both the 7.0 and the 10.1 Galaxy Tab 2 and neither has a micro USB port. It comes with the 30 pin USB cord which will plug into the computer USB port or the wall adapter to charge it. You can get an OTG adapter which will accept a USB- flash drive, mouse, keyboard, etc. Look on Amazon or eBay for the OTG. Or Check Fry's. I found some there for about $7?.

http://www.frys.com/product/7146712?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Dongle...galaxy+tab+otg

I have found the OTG dongles extremely useful for transfering things through a flash drive. I can watch movies from the flash drive that way also. I find it easier than connecting the cord to the computer.

Last edited by NoName; 12-13-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added links
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
I have both the 7.0 and the 10.1 Galaxy Tab 2 and neither has a micro USB port. It comes with the 30 pin USB cord which will plug into the computer USB port or the wall adapter to charge it. You can get an OTG adapter which will accept a USB- flash drive, mouse, keyboard, etc. Look on Amazon or eBay for the OTG. Or Check Fry's. I found some there for about $7?.
Thanks for your very full and clear reply.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post

http://www.frys.com/product/7146712?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Dongle...galaxy+tab+otg

I have found the OTG dongles extremely useful for transfering things through a flash drive. I can watch movies from the flash drive that way also. I find it easier than connecting the cord to the computer.
Thanks for catching my mistake.

The OP didn't specify which Tab 2 they were considering, but if it is the 7", I'd recommend searching to see if any places are clearancing out the Student Edition. I picked that up in September... includes a white Tab 2, keyboard dock, and USB dongle.

The keyboard dock is high quality and coupled with either a USB or bluetooth mouse, it makes a nice little workstation. (keyboard dock also has a headphone jack so speakers or headphones can be attached to that rather than the device itself)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Although Samsung tablets use a custom connector, not standard USB, you can buy third-party cables extremely cheaply on Amazon. I bought a third-party OTG cable for my Galaxy Tab 2 7" from Amazon UK for the equivalent of under US$2 and it works perfectly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
I purchased a 3 port usb hub & card reader adapter from ebay for mine. All in one adapter makes everything accessable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130777321318...318%26_rdc%3D1

Last edited by Tabatha; 12-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 2 XL, Basic Kindle
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and recently bought one of these on Amazon, which has 3 USB-2 ports, SD(HC) and TF slot, and MS/M2 slots which I don't use at all. It works with USB drives, a 32GB micro SD (TF) card I had, and my USB keyboard, including supporting the media keys for volume and play/stop.

The USB cable works as a MPT device, not a USB drive, which is fairly standard, I believe. It requires a special driver, available for windows and Mac. For Linux, it doesn't seem to be recognized by the OS, but Calibre seems to recognize it OK.
Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Guy View Post
The USB cable works as a MPT device, not a USB drive, which is fairly standard, I believe. It requires a special driver, available for windows and Mac. For Linux, it doesn't seem to be recognized by the OS, but Calibre seems to recognize it OK.
No special driver needed for Windows 7 - it's supported out of the box.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
doronryt5ry7
doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doronryt5ry7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Adivce needed

Hello everyone
Holidays in the doorway and I want to indulge in some family cool gadget. My family is addicted to all this nonsense  So I thought about all sorts of things: streamer innovative massage robot, or something like Samsung Galaxy 2 . Anyone happen to know something good ride? How much is a good media can put it as a built-in? My car a few years old so I do hope it will be possible to implement the system.

Thanks in advance
Danny
doronryt5ry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
I purchased a 3 port usb hub & card reader adapter from ebay for mine. All in one adapter makes everything accessable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130777321318...318%26_rdc%3D1
Right on!

Added. Also, I don't want to be advertising a vendor, but this product is reasonable, available and does everything except milk the cow, collect the eggs, and till the garden. The Descript below is minimal.

GrayBean T-Flash SD(HC) MMC MS/MS DUO M2, 3 USB Ports,1 DC Input port for High Power Mobile HDD, USB 2.0 Keyboard, USB Mouse, USB Flash disk (OTG), Card Reader & USB HUB, Connection Kit For SamSung Galaxy Tab P7300 / P7310 / P7500 / 7510 / Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch/10inch
by Samsung

Besides these, your power/data cable that came with your tablet should go either to the included charger or to the computer. Just unplug it from the charger to have it available for the computer. Some USB2 ports on the computer will charge devices. (ie. some might be high power, others low.)

(added some pointers and descriptors in paragraph above)

Last edited by SeaKing; 02-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
dsnillo
dsnillo began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I have purchased an OTG cable for my P-3113, and although ES Explorer shows several USB ports, they all appear empty. Samsung Canada implied to me that I cannot access a USB drive with this model. Do I need to root the tablet and/or install a driver?

Last edited by dsnillo; 03-21-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: New information
dsnillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnillo View Post
I have purchased an OTG cable, and although ES Explorer shows several USB ports, they all appear empty. Do I need to root the tablet and/or install a driver?
I have the Galaxy 2 7.0 - not rooted. When I plug in the OTG it automatically opens My Files (the explorer that came with the Tab) and it shows up as usbDriveA. In Astro File Manager it shows up as MyFiles 3. I can't get it to show up at all in ES File Explorer.

You don't need to install a driver, but what are you trying to use it for? It works for flash drives and card readers but it won't work on an external hard drive.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
dsnillo
dsnillo began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Problem Solved

The OTG connector needed to be pushed in just that last half millimeter
dsnillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnillo View Post
The OTG connector needed to be pushed in just that last half millimeter
Glad I'm (father in law, really) not the only one who had this happen. Tried getting the connector to work, didn't work. Tried it again. Didn't work. Pushed it a bit harder, it moved in further...bam. Chocolate cake.

Felt like I went full poo-brain.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote