Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #31
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What is that second thing?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #32
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Did someone say grits?

http://communalskillet.com/2012/03/1...-shrimp-gravy/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6972638789_5c540b29a9_z.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	94163  
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What is that second thing?
It's a biscuit in Australia.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #34
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Poutine!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Poutine!

Sloppy fries!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...Here's a thought: you know that frozen garlic bread that's sold in the supermarket and goes so well when baked in the oven and served with lasagna or spaghetti? I wonder how it would taste topped with creamed chipped beef? Think I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
And try it I did, and it was some powerful good eating. The brand names may mean little to folks in other geographical locations, but I poured an 11 oz. package of Stouffer's creamed chipped beef over half a package (4 pieces) of Pepperidge Farms Texas Toast garlic bread. uuMMMMM-Um!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Let me get this straight. We've got a two page thread here of mobilereaders licking their chops over beef on toast! And even more curiouser, gravy on a biscuit!
Obviously a staple for the nation. Now how about I mention grits and see where the thread goes because I know you yanks love grits. Or at least talking about them.
Grits is good stuff!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Let me get this straight. We've got a two page thread here of mobilereaders licking their chops over beef on toast! And even more curiouser, gravy on a biscuit!
Obviously a staple for the nation. Now how about I mention grits and see where the thread goes because I know you yanks love grits. Or at least talking about them.
I loathe and despise grits. nothing says basic training louder than the enforced consumption of grits (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #38
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Chipped means sliced, biscuits means scones, cilantro means coriander, but only if it's the green bits, if it's the seeds it's called coriander -anything else I should know before going on holiday to northern California?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Chipped means sliced, biscuits means scones, cilantro means coriander, but only if it's the green bits, if it's the seeds it's called coriander -anything else I should know before going on holiday to northern California?
If we're talking food, the chips/crisps thing is important.

Also the difference in pronounciation of "herbs", "oregano" and "basil".
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #40
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
If we're talking food, the chips/crisps thing is important.
I've lived in Denmark for four years, where they don't know what long pieces of potato deep fried until crisp round the edges and covered in salt and vinegar are called, and I still get excited and then immediately disappointed when my wife says to me, "Do you want some chips?"
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #41
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've lived in Denmark for four years, where they don't know what long pieces of potato deep fried until crisp round the edges and covered in salt and vinegar are called, and I still get excited and then immediately disappointed when my wife says to me, "Do you want some chips?"
Ah, I didn't know it was the same in Denmark. I remember being in Canada and getting caught out by the crisps/chips issue in a Subway - I was equally disappointed
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #42
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
French fries means pommes frites, or maybe you already know that? Oh, and french fries are served with ketchup. No beer anywhere that does not have a license to sell it.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #43
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Grits?

How about hominy grits?

Mom would put a big dab of butter in the middle, and it would melt into a delicious pool.

Also a slice of cheese on top of the grits or hominy, and then of course sides of eggs, bacon, sausage, and buttered toast. We didn't really have biscuits then.

When I went into the Army, they might have given me SOS, but never any of the above. You gotta make do with what you got.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #44
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
ground coriander is called cumin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Grits?

How about hominy grits?

Mom would put a big dab of butter in the middle, and it would melt into a delicious pool.

Also a slice of cheese on top of the grits or hominy, and then of course sides of eggs, bacon, sausage, and buttered toast. We didn't really have biscuits then.

When I went into the Army, they might have given me SOS, but never any of the above. You gotta make do with what you got.
grits are grits no matter what. I think what you got largely depended on where you went to basic. I was at Ft. Jackson
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
ground coriander is called cumin
Coriander (ground or not) and cumin are entirely different spices aren't they? I certainly make recipes that call for both cumin and ground coriander, which wouldn't make sense if they were the same thing.