Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #706
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
The Sony software is reported to have several problems, both the software on PC/Mac and the firmware in the device. They have had several updates but not all problems seem to have been solved.

A good other choice is the Kobo Touch. User reports are favorable. I don't know if they are sold in all European countries, but at least here in the Netherlands they are.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #707
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
The Sony software is reported to have several problems, both the software on PC/Mac and the firmware in the device. They have had several updates but not all problems seem to have been solved.

A good other choice is the Kobo Touch. User reports are favorable. I don't know if they are sold in all European countries, but at least here in the Netherlands they are.
What kind of problems?
So severe it's not even possible to read books on it? Crashes a lot?
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #708
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post
What kind of problems?
Grain of salt warning. You will notice the previous post cites "tons of problems" but fails to give any specifics. That's just bashing. Everyone has their favorite readers.

The Sony's have been exceptionally dependable. I have not had a whit of problem with any including the original PRS-500, and I've owned every iteration up to the PRS-650. They are all awesome devices.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #709
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Grain of salt warning. You will notice the previous post cites "tons of problems" but fails to give any specifics. That's just bashing. Everyone has their favorite readers.

The Sony's have been exceptionally dependable. I have not had a whit of problem with any including the original PRS-500, and I've owned every iteration up to the PRS-650. They are all awesome devices.

-Pie
I have had 3 Sony devices (the 505, 350 and T1) and I have been extremely happy with all of them, as has my husband who inherits my older devices. I warmly recommend the PRS-T1. The Kobo is also not a bad device at all; my best friend has one and is very pleased with it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #710
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have had no problems with my PRS-T1. I love it.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #711
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:

There were, in fact, many problems with the T1 as originally released, as can be seen from the Sony forums here. There has been a relatively recent firmware update to address them.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #712
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

-Pie
In fairness, the T1 did have pretty horrendous problems when released, but they appear to have been fixed in a recent firmware upgrade.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #713
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS T1
Could anyone teach me how to check mirosd storage info on my T1 please
giosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #714
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
Could anyone teach me how to check mirosd storage info on my T1 please
You should ask questions about the Sony T1 in the Sony forum; don't "hijack" someone else's thread to ask unrelated questions.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #715
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
In all fairness, the T1 still has enormous problems when reading reflowed *text* PDFs. Will Sony ever fix it, or even acknowledge this issue?
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #716
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The T1 is not alone in this issue and for good reason. PDF's are documents and ereaders are designed primarily to read ebooks. These days that would be in the main ePUB or PRS/MOBI (Kindle).

If you are so desirous of reading PDF documents on a hand held device, then perhaps a tablet would better serve that task.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #717
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post
What kind of problems?
Sony has fixed the problems the T1 had when it originally came out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #718
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The T1 is not alone in this issue and for good reason. PDF's are documents and ereaders are designed primarily to read ebooks. These days that would be in the main ePUB or PRS/MOBI (Kindle).

If you are so desirous of reading PDF documents on a hand held device, then perhaps a tablet would better serve that task.
Sorry, but IMHO there is no excuse, because Sony has crafted such a great PDF experience on their x50 readers. Thank God I have two 950s.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #719
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Yeah, it is comparable. Sony always has made good readers, and the only complaint I'd say you could put against them is that they can be, at times, more expensive than the competition. However, how things are now, it isn't by much, if any (varies by region)
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #720
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Yeah, it is comparable. Sony always has made good readers, and the only complaint I'd say you could put against them is that they can be, at times, more expensive than the competition. However, how things are now, it isn't by much, if any (varies by region)
Sony are extremely expensive, compared with Amazon, everywhere except the US.

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs