Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
kkasmire
kkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Ads Refresh Rate (wifi and 3G)

How often does the Ads refresh on the Kindle?

Does it display a new ad only when it goes to sleep, or does it continue to get new ads while in low-power sleep mode?
kkasmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasmire View Post
How often does the Ads refresh on the Kindle?

Does it display a new ad only when it goes to sleep, or does it continue to get new ads while in low-power sleep mode?
They refresh each time you put it to sleep. You get new ads at random it use to be like every 4 days but lately it's been random.

The Kindle chooses from the offers in the special offers section. Some are nice and some are just photos. More photos then anything lately. This is due to Amazon deciding to let people vote on which screensavers make it to the Kindle. It seems alot of people just like pictures of people instead of artsy looking ones. One poster posted at the Kindle Forum on Amazon. "I just vote for all hot babes."

Personally I prefer artsy and creative Ads but AdMash has ruin the chances by letting anyone vote on them. *sigh*

The only thing Admash is good for is to see the upcoming offers.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
What about the feature that allows you to edit your screensaver preferences? Does that actually work?

I changed mine to the following:

Quote:
Kindle Screensaver Preferences
I want to see more: Architecture, Landscapes/Scenery, Literary references, Nature
I want to see less: Family/Kids, Modern, People
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What about the feature that allows you to edit your screensaver preferences? Does that actually work?

I changed mine to the following:
Nope it doesn't. I wish it did. I think that was put in there before AdMash took over.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
kkasmire
kkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You get new ads at random it use to be like every 4 days but lately it's been random.
Does the screen actually wake up by itself (unattended) when it gets the ad? Or does it stay dormant until you hit the power button?

I'm trying to understand if the Kindle can do stuff autonomously while in the sleep state.

Once we get inside the Kindle Touch, a nifty hack would be for the device to occasionally wake itself up to refresh the "screensaver" with the daily weather, maybe a little calendar with the today's date highlighted, and a stock report. Since the e-ink sticks, the device could wake up long enough to connect to wireless, write the information to the screen, and fall back asleep ... if the device is capable of waking itself up.
kkasmire is offline   Reply With Quote