Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #76
mduijkers
Edge User

@emen and janvvangastel

Sure, it depends on the way one uses the edge I guess.
I am in a school class and for me it makes sense to use both screens at the same time to be able to work as fast as possible.
Thats what the edge promised in the first place, interaction between the screens.
ymmv ofcourse as proven in your posts.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #77
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduijkers View Post
With dingo, its not clear if I the e-reader is in annotation mode or not.
Pre-dingo it would be clear because the annotation toolbar would be shown as a second row.
With dingo, I have to use the tool menu, which is slow, and check if "annotation" is checked on.
When the annotation is on you can see that in the top bar: the annotation-icon is "selected" and/or you can see it in the bottumbar: there is a pencil left and right of the middlepart. So you don't have to use the toolmenu.

Last edited by sjarrel; 09-12-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #78
dcubed2
Edge User

I am having trouble reliably using the snapshot tool on the reader. It doesn't seem to work if the image viewer is already up, and it often takes several tries to select it and use it successfully. In all earlier software releases, double tapping the snapshot icon brought up the whole page image quickly and reliably. Now, the most reliable way is to finally get the camera icon in the toolbar and swiping the image. But, even so, it usually takes several times before it works.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #79
borisb
Edge User

I've noticed, too, that you have to often close the current image view before you can view another page/image.

As for the double-tap, it's been replaced by simply tapping the Camera icon once, and then tapping the page once (i.e., if you don't specify start and end coordinates, the preview is of the whole page).

Old 09-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #80
dcubed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I've noticed, too, that you have to often close the current image view before you can view another page/image.

As for the double-tap, it's been replaced by simply tapping the Camera icon once, and then tapping the page once (i.e., if you don't specify start and end coordinates, the preview is of the whole page).
For some reason, this rarely works for me. I did read this instruction in the new help files, but usually can't get it to work. It's not uncommon for me to have to try 5 or more times to get an image in the viewer. Heck, I have a hard time getting the camera icon to stay in the bottom menu long enough to tap and/or swipe. The menu seems to take forever to acknowledge, and even though I've tapped the camera icon on the pop-up menu several times, it'll collapse and not have the camera in the bottom menu - like I wasn't tapping at all. Right now, I tap, tap, tap until the pop up collapses and see if the camera icon is in the menu. If so, I rush to tap/swipe before it goes back to the selector icon. Then I wait to see if it worked (about 50% success if I made it this far). Otherwise, I start again. And again.

Perhaps it is just mine, or I'm doing things too fast, incorrectly or something. Boy, I hope I'm doing something wrong - then I can fix it ;-).

Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #81
borisb
Edge User

Try toggling and using the top toolbar instead (tap the icon at the top left corner of the Journal). You'll see a Camera icon there, too, and it may work better. One thing I have found (more or less always so since Day 1 of the eDGe, i.e., even before Dingo), is that taps on the eInk side do need to be forceful rather than light, otherwise they won't register.

It seems that the new menu system is a "Version 1.0" and will need refinement over an update or two

Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #82
dcubed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Try toggling and using the top toolbar instead (tap the icon at the top left corner of the Journal). You'll see a Camera icon there, too, and it may work better. One thing I have found (more or less always so since Day 1 of the eDGe, i.e., even before Dingo), is that taps on the eInk side do need to be forceful rather than light, otherwise they won't register.

It seems that the new menu system is a "Version 1.0" and will need refinement over an update or two
Oh, that works much better! Thanks, Boris !

Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #83
alefor
Edge User

The "Tags" are a real problem in Dingo. After installation, I had to delete and re-create all the tags. Annoying, but not that bad. However, Dingo tags are not working well. In particular, the fact that if you try to look at all "untagged" items..... you get nothing. Figuring out what remains "untagged" is a real pain.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #84
kenjennings
Edge User

The Reader Snapshot to LCD function appears to only work if a snapshot is currently NOT being displayed. ( Or is it just me? )
I'm pretty sure I used to do this all the time pre-Dingo -- banging on the snapshot frequently during annotation to see what the updated annotations/colors look like. It used to update/replace the previous snapshot view with the new one.

Last edited by kenjennings; 09-20-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #85
janvangastel
Edge User

Yes, it also happens on my Edge and on the Edge of others, so I have read. It's not really a problem to me, but I don't understand why this has been changed.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #86
dcubed2
Edge User

Yes, it's annoying to have to close the viewer to see another picture. I wish that the image viewer was an app, so I could check email or something and come back to it (without having to find the image again in the reader). I also wish that the viewer was higher resolution - the 1% of my pdfs that work on Docs-to-Go look a whole lot better there than the default viewer.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #87
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Last night I decided to try the calendar widget. When it loaded I got an initial message popup saying problem loading widget, and this morning it had not refreshed to the new date. I trashed it and reloaded, but got the same popup.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #88
emen
Edge User

I've found a way to completely disable automatic turning off of the LCD side. There is an app called MySettings that enables you to do this and it can be found on the SlideMe.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #89
emen
Edge User

Also, I've been doing some heavy research lately and noticed that after 6 or 7 hrs of continuous use, the Edge slows down, so that I have to restart it. Besides, when I turn several web pages (five or six) to epub one after another, the reader first shuts down and displays the welcome message. When I reopen the file, the e-ink side freezes, so I have to restart the Edge.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #90
sjarrel
Edge User

Browser problems

There are still strange things happening with the native browser:
The native browser closes itself is regulary. Clearing cache and data does not always help.

When I open the browser with the "Store-icon" I get the EE-site with the 6 icons, but if I choose community I get a blank page with only the top and bottom bar.
With the menu-button in this version of the browser I can only refresh or close.

When I open the browser with the "Browser-icon" and I choose the EE-site I have the same problem with the community site: blank with only the top and bottom bar.
In this version of the browser I can send the page to e-reader, but even then top and bottom bar with the rest blank.
However, strangely, the text of the beams on the e-reader are in different order on the tablet side.

After a few days everything is suddenly back to normal. Nothing special done. So is there an Edge-Ghost or what?