Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Books from the public library?

After investigating ereaders for the better part of a week, it's become clear to me that the Kindle 2 would meet my needs better than any other ereader. Except that it won't allow me to read ebooks from the public library.

Is it possible to run some sort of software program to permit me to read library books on the Kindle 2?

If not, is there a good chance that Amazon will be including this feature in the Kindle 2 via firmware in the near future? Or releasing a new ereader that will allow this?

Thanks for your help.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
There are already numerous posts on this topic - do a search. The short answer is no. Search with library books and Kindle or OverDrive and Kindle.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The long answer is only if you're willing to use certain python scripts to make the library books readable on your Kindle.

For Mobipocket format books, one set of scripts will a) generate a valid PID for the standard Mobipocket DRM scheme and b) make a minor change to the downloaded file to trick the Kindle into opening it.

This doesn't actually crack the DRM, and the book will still expire on time, so this is generally considered reasonably legal.

For ePub and PDF files, you do have to crack the DRM, and convert the ePub ones at least. Under current US law as I understand it, this is probably considered illegal, fair use arguments aside. Under other countries' laws, it depends.

It's up to you how comfortable you are doing this.

I myself have no problems with it, but then I don't live in the US and don't have to deal with the DMCA (despite our Minister of Heritage's attempts to steamroller similar legislation into place), and my local library is well-stocked enough with Mobipocket ebooks that I've yet to try any of their ePub/PDF selections.

As for the likelihood of Amazon updating their stuff to allow library use, I seriously doubt it.

They own Mobipocket outright now, and haven't even bothered to make the Kindle (which uses a modified Mobipocket format) accept users' possible earlier Mobipocket purchases, despite it probably being fairly trivial for them to implement some form of compatibility.

If they're not willing to allow a very slightly different version of their very own bought-and-paid-for format to work on their readers, I don't see them shelling out the bucks to license a competitor's.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote