Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Some questions about my new reader

So I picked up a Sony PRS-350 yesterday at Best Buy since it was on sale and I've been thinking about getting a e-reader for awhile. It doesn't have everything I want(expandable storage), but after moving about 50 books over to the device and still having 1.4 GB left, I'm pretty happy(most of my ebooks are in the .3-.5 mb range).

I have had issues with three pdfs though. The Sony will begin processing them to open, but eventually just goes back to the home screen. and I tried again and on one of them it worked and the pdf opened and on another it did the same processing thing again and keeps going back to the home screen. The third pdf opens, but whenever I try to zoom in to medium, it kicks me back to the home screen. I did convert each to epub and they have no more problems, but it is weird. Is it a formatting thing? Why does it only effect some pdfs?

I've been using Calibre to move my books over and it seems like the metadata is not traslating to the Sony Reader software, but it does show up on the reader. For example, the author tag shows up when I sort by author on the device, but in the Sony reader software, the author tag doesn't show and it just lists the original title from before I modified it using Calibre.

This brings me to my third problem. I can't seem to get it to default sort by author when viewing all books. I tried deleteing all the books on the reader and then enabling the Sony plugin as per another thread and then re-loading about 30 epubs and it still wants to sort by date.

All together I do love this device and am now totally sold on e-readers, but the default sort order may be a deal-breaker. It only takes a second to re-sort using the corner icon or the settings, but it annoys me to have to do that every time I go into the booklist. :-(

Does anyone have any ideas/solutions?
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Re the third problem, in the book list view tap on the top right corner and select how you want the books sorted. You have several options including sort by author.

I don't use the Sony software so I can't help you with that. perhaps you could try relying on Calibre instead.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the reply, but why doesn't it save that option? I have to select that every time I go into the list.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Mine keeps the way I wanna sort the books. This seems to be defective in yours.

Are the PDF's DRM protected? But even if they are, they should open. This sounds weird. Maybe you should better bring it back and get another unit.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
anabolina
Groupie

Thanks Poppaea. This is one of the reasons I went for the Sony over other readers, so I could buy from a brick and mortar store and return it to the store if it didn't measure up. After playing with the device more over lunch. I found that it does save the revised sort if you put it to sleep rather than turning it off. Restarting the device makes it sort by date again. That I can definitely live with.

The PDFs no longer have DRM (I only buy ebooks if I know how to break the DRM). In fact, they are quite old. I started buying ebooks in 2006 with most bought in 2008-2010. Yes I never delete anything. I'm not even sure what the original format was since they've been loaded onto many different devices and computers since then and the original file was lost in the great external hard drive disappearance of 2009. I'm thinking that I'll just use Calibre to convert everything before I put it on the Sony.
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know I like the old Sony format better than epub. It is called .lrf and I convert everything into it because there seems to be a much narrower step between the font sizes than in epub format. Don't ask me why... but it works.

I am glad you found out why it didn't work and to hear your unit is fine.

I never shut it down completely, I tend to reach for it whenever I can and love the standby very much.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you use calibre to convert your non-DRM files after you revise the metadata, then I think it will fix your problem with the Sony Reader Library software not reading the revised metadata. At least it works for me. The conversion process, even if it is EPUB to EPUB, makes the metadata "stick" to the file when you use it in the Sony software.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
anabolina
Groupie

Thanks Bookworm girl, it does makes sense for conversion to help the tags 'stick' (a great way to put it). And I've never actually tried to read a book in lrf format Poppaea, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Well maybe even later because officially I am supposed to be submitting some homework that's due tonight and should probably maybe do it.... It's so hard resisting the new toy :-)
Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
It's so hard resisting the new toy :-)
Tell ya girl, these little ones are damn sexy
Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Did you resolve the problem you were having with the three PDFs?

When I've had that problem, it was because the PDFs were defective.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
anabolina
Groupie

Yes Doreen, I'm going to put it down to there being a problem with the PDF even though I have no idea was the problem was (probably some esoteris encoding issue from years ago I guess). I'm just going to have to clean up my ebook library I guess :-) That was my intent when I downloaded Calibre a few months ago, it just hasn't happened yet.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Glad you have everything working. It's true that older PDFs don't always work on new readrs. In fact, I've had trouble getting some PDFs to work on Adobe Reader version 9 on the PC.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
anabolina
Groupie

So true, I did convert my pdf's to the sony proprietary format and I am really liking in on the device. It's an extra step, but as bookworm_girl mentioned, the metadata seems to stick better and it really navigates and looks great on the 350.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's good news! Glad you got your files to work in a format that's acceptable and that you are liking your 350. New gadgets are fun!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
anabolina
Groupie

I have trouble resisting gadgets and really wanted to buy an ereader last April/ May, but convinced myself it was too limited and bought the Archos 5 Internet Tablet instead and while I really like the tablet, I'm happy I caved and bought a new electronic device. I even got to go into work late today on account of the ice here in Dallas and was just told by my boss I can leave whenever I want to since the roads are supposed to get even worse this afternoon. It's hard to believe since I was slipping all over the place going 10 mph :shakes head: Still this does mean more time with my new toy.