Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Sony Reader Library for Android and iOS?

Has anyone heard any updated news regarding when Sony plans to launch their reader software for the Android and iOS products?
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I was wondering about that too. Considering the lack of enthusiasm on Sony's part for the release of this generation of readers, I guess we will be lucky if they release the apps by the first of the year. At any rate I'm not too excited about the release of the apps as the apps for Kindle and Nook have been lackluster and I suspect Sony will follow along that line. Besides that, the biggest complaint I read about Sony readers is the terrible software, not on the readers (firmware) but the Sony Reader Library app. I have zero confidence in Sony's ability or commitment to produce good apps for the smartphones , PC, or Mac.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't mind the Nook or the Kindle App at least to me they are better than their pc versions, so maybe the Sony android and iOS version will be better than the pc version as well.

Last edited by trevgriff; 11-09-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
trevgriff
Zealot

Does anyone know if the Sony Reader Library App is waiting for the iOS 4.2 release?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Is there anyone who isn't waiting for the iOS 4.2 release?! But seriously, I suspect Sony is probably just behind in development which is why they never gave a specific date when they announced the new apps.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
trevgriff
Zealot

So how do you like the 950 vs 900? I have the 900 but am thinking of getting the 950.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
So how do you like the 950 vs 900? I have the 900 but am thinking of getting the 950.
LOVE my new 950! I am glad that I upgraded from the 900. My top 3 likes compared to the 900 are:

1) New screen: The reduced glare and improved contrast are obvious. However, the sensitivity of the touch screen is my favorite improvement. Now it is more like how touch should be. I rarely need to use the stylus anymore.

2) Wikipedia integration is excellent. Highlight a word / phrase and when it opens the dictionary menu there is a special icon to launch a Wikipedia search. I haven't found much use for the browser otherwise since Sony won't let you download from anywhere but their store (grumble, grumble).

3) Better PDF viewing. It has a new "Page Mode" with quadrant viewing so it's much easier to read 2 or 3 column PDF files. Also you can lock zoom now.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
trevgriff
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
LOVE my new 950! I am glad that I upgraded from the 900. My top 3 likes compared to the 900 are:

1) New screen: The reduced glare and improved contrast are obvious. However, the sensitivity of the touch screen is my favorite improvement. Now it is more like how touch should be. I rarely need to use the stylus anymore.

2) Wikipedia integration is excellent. Highlight a word / phrase and when it opens the dictionary menu there is a special icon to launch a Wikipedia search. I haven't found much use for the browser otherwise since Sony won't let you download from anywhere but their store (grumble, grumble).

3) Better PDF viewing. It has a new "Page Mode" with quadrant viewing so it's much easier to read 2 or 3 column PDF files. Also you can lock zoom now.
Thank you.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
I would assume that the android version will come first since sony actually releases android products, at least thats what I hope since I would love it for my EVO!!!!

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

iOS 4.2 is available today at last! So where are those apps? Actually, the Sony apps should be coming in December. Check out this link which I just discovered today. It even shows what the apps will look like.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/rme/
Old 11-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Good find. I sure hope Sony includes the ability to adjust the margins as those in the image are way too big, especially for a phone screen!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
trevgriff
Zealot

Any additional news on the android and ios software, outside of the december date?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Not that I have seen. The website still says Available in December...
Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

For the iPhone (iOS4.x) version Sony will have to submit it to Apple and await their approval. So I suspect the Android version might appear first. But that is just a guess.

However, I'm not anticipating any more than another lackluster phone app by a major reader manufacturer. The Kindle and Nook apps are lackluster. Plus Sony cannot even produce a decent Reader Library app nor a decent Reader Store website. Sony is about hardware and they do that very well, but their software tends to be terrible.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
someone on another board here said they contacted Sony and were told it would be the week of the 6th (this week!). We'll see. I feel like jswinden, I don't have high hopes, plus since my reader doesn't have wifi, the sync can't be all that great!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote