Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
FL Guy
FL Guy began at the beginning.

Device: TBD
Amazon Instant Video on Rooted Kindle Fire HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I only rooted it, no ROM was installed. As mewmartigan says, the Fire operates the same as usual but now I have access to apps from the Google Play store (some apps which are not available from Amazon). I also have an easier time using different launchers. The launchers will make it the Fire look like you're running a special ROM but you can easily jump back to the original launcher anytime (if need be).
That's probably a pretty good middle ground. Unfortunately, I've recently started encountering apps that I would like to use which require Android 4.0 or later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
... If you install a custom ROM, then you have essentially made yourself a Nexus 7 with surround sound....a stock android tablet cannot run Amazon VOD.
Unless I dual boot, which I'm thinking might be the best of both worlds, if/since I to be able to use the latest apps and still have access to Amazon's Instant Video.

I was curious if someone had found another way to access Amazon IV with more recent version of Android ...

It sound like it's feasible to keep access to Amazon's IV as long as one is content with the 95% of apps (so far) that will run on the old version Android that the KF uses. Not too bad really...

Thanks for the info. Any other ideas for how to have the best of both worlds would be welcome... Yeah, I've considered a Nexus 7, but I would prefer the medium sized screen of the KF, and of course, would prefer to have access to Amazon's Instant Video.

Guess I'll check again for an app that would let me us AIV with a custom ROM. Seems that might be another solution.
FL Guy is offline   Reply With Quote