Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
HHJT
HHJT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hiding endnotes after the last page of an epub2

Hello,

I converted a OO writer document into epub2 with Writer2epub. The document has endnotes which are now correctly in the epub (I've changed the style a little with Sigil).
Ofcourse every device/app deals with endnotes in a different way: My Kobo Glo shows a pop-up. iBooks switches to a screen where all the endnotes are listed. ADE switches to a screen with just the specific endnote. Calibre reader show the endnote at the bottom of the app.

All that is fine. But after the last page of the document my Kobo Glo lists all the endnotes. ADE even lists them on separate pages (there are twelve). Calibre does the same thing. Only iBooks does is correctly: the document ends at the last page—no endnotes!

Is there a way to hide endnotes at the end of a document, thus only showing them when clicked upon? I've tried hiding their visibility in CSS with no result (obviously).
HHJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You can mark the HTML file containing the endnotes as linear="no" in the spine, but according to the EPUB specification reading systems are allowed to ignore this.

I disagree about what it "correct". Personally, I like endnotes to be visible at the end of a book. It is easy to miss a reference to one while reading.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ADE ignores linear="no" so that's not a solution. I don't mind the endnotes being at the ennd.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't mind either. Indeed, like Jhowell I rather like it. It lets me down easy and, in the case of Kindle editions, puts off Jeff Bezos's irritating suggestions for further reading (and buying).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Well, it seems like you could use the linear="no" technique...which will work for all devices/apps that support it...then just make sure they are styled correctly so they are not too unpleasant to look at for those who use devices that don't support it.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I disagree about what it "correct". Personally, I like endnotes to be visible at the end of a book. It is easy to miss a reference to one while reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I don't mind either. Indeed, like Jhowell I rather like it. It lets me down easy and, in the case of Kindle editions, puts off Jeff Bezos's irritating suggestions for further reading (and buying).
What they said. (Both reasons.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
HHJT
HHJT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello and thanks for replying.

Since there is no solution for every device/app, is there a way to make them look more or less the same: a header followed with a list of the endnotes? ADE for example is showing a page with just the header followed by an endnote per page.
HHJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would think that is something peculiar to that epub...something in the css maybe?? Do you have an example of the html/css you could post here?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Well, it seems like you could use the linear="no" technique...which will work for all devices/apps that support it...then just make sure they are styled correctly so they are not too unpleasant to look at for those who use devices that don't support it.
RMSDK (ADE) is the most widely used software for reading ePub on a Reader. It does not support linear="no". So most of the time, it won't work.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHJT View Post
Hello and thanks for replying.

Since there is no solution for every device/app, is there a way to make them look more or less the same: a header followed with a list of the endnotes? ADE for example is showing a page with just the header followed by an endnote per page.
ADE does not show headers.

You could use one file with pagebreaks to separate the endnotes or one file for each endnote.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE does not show headers.

You could use one file with pagebreaks to separate the endnotes or one file for each endnote.
Seems like ADE is fairly limited... lolz
Old 02-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I would think that is something peculiar to that epub...something in the css maybe?? Do you have an example of the html/css you could post here?
Agreed. We do scads of books with endnotes, and I've never had that occur, with each endnote on its own page. ???

BTW: good god, where would endnotes GO, if they were effectively invisible? In a print book, they--gasp--go at the END, those sneaky bastards. Why wouldn't they appear in the same place in an eBook?

Am I simply being thick as two planks? Endnotes can either go at the end of a chapter, or the end of the book. Amazingly, some folks don't like to read the endnotes on the fly; they read them (cough) at the END. for those folks, if yon endnotes were invisible, or hidden, when would they get their opportunity to read them?

Me, I'm a devourer of endnotes and footnotes, references, the whole schmear. So, I read them on the go. But a lot of ppl don't, and they need them in a reliable spot, I should think.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-21-2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Because (sob), Better Red made fun of my typo. I'm crushed, I tell you--CRUSHED!
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For a moment I was thinking we had a new type of book. Is Hitch referring to one diminutive in size, or one where the story flows from start to finish without any stops or starts. Or has a big brewer followed a well known British butcher into the ebook business

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:10 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For a moment I was thinking we had a new type of book. Is Hitch referring to one diminutive in size, or one where the story flows from start to finish without any stops or starts. Or has a big brewer followed a well known British butcher into the ebook business

BR

Snort...yes, now they come in pints, either dark or light, lager or ale.

Geeze, can't you cut a girl a break? I'll go fix it. (hangs head in shame--a TYPO, ye gad!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Snort...yes, now they come in pints, either dark or light, lager or ale.

Geeze, can't you cut a girl a break? I'll go fix it. (hangs head in shame--a TYPO, ye gad!)
Cut you a break, you should be thankful that someone is even bothering to read your posts To relieve the boredom of having to take one breath after another with no respite I sometimes make deliberate mistakes, but rarely does anyone notice

Added : Now I have a smartphone, I use it for reading the endnotes whilst reading the main text on a tablet or PC. The sort of stuff I read often has multiple endnotes for the same passage; also means I can look back when I perceive a contradiction or anomaly, and take sneak peeks at what's coming up.

It's the only useful thing I've found it can do that I couldn't do before. I've browbeaten the telco into turning mobile data off - permanently.

Picked up a copy of Anna Beer's Milton biography recently from a streetside library. If I can figure out how to scan the 40+ pages of endnotes and references I can do the same.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-21-2018 at 03:24 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endnote, epub, hide