Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Content For My Illiad : BBC Headline News

Hi,

As I previously mentioned I've been experimenting with RSS feeds and the Illiads... The goal is currently to give myself something to read on my daily commute... I would like to share my first steps... BBC News on the Illiad. For my own use I auto-generate feeds available from the BBC... You can download it from http://www.syngrithy.org.uk/index.php?pT=2 .

I'm currently finding it better than the free newspapers that are handed out on Londons public transport network...

Let me know what you think... The next stage is to download it via the IDS...

Enjoy...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
MikeB
MikeB began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Loox 720
Excellent! Will you be updating every day?

Regards

Mike
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
Excellent! Will you be updating every day?
Yes... Its auto-updated every few hours or so...
Old 10-11-2006, 05:14 AM   #4
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
.Edited.

I have opened with winrar. Saved under: the newspapers folder of ILiad.
Unfortunately pictures does not appear. Not in IExplorer not even on iLiad.
Could you have a look at it?
Otherwise perfect.

Last edited by Mambo; 10-11-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Excellent Work,

As mambo pointed out the pictures are broken. The other problem is I keep getting cannot create directories in Winrar.
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
.Edited.

I have opened with winrar. Saved under: the newspapers folder of ILiad.
Unfortunately pictures does not appear. Not in IExplorer not even on iLiad.
Could you have a look at it?
Otherwise perfect.
Ok... Will take a look...! Thanks for the feedback..!

Edited:

Ah, I see the problem... But its going to have to wait until my net connection stops bouncing up and down before I upload a new version of the script...!

Last edited by jęd; 10-11-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlar
Excellent Work,

As mambo pointed out the pictures are broken. The other problem is I keep getting cannot create directories in Winrar.
The error messages in winrar are true but did not seem to affect usability - that is why I did not report.

One more thing: Could you put all the newsreel in one tar as well, it would save me time when downloading.

Once again, I have to express thanks for the solution, it is really impressive, though I was not so much interested in news before, I am starting to like the idea.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Your project is great jęd! The only thing i dont like is that theres no pics showing;
I understand that you will take a look at it.

Theres on emore thing: it would be great if there were more newspapers supported, maybe allow users to (somehow) choose their newspaper;

I know this is too far and your project is just at its beginning, but i just wanted to throw this idea out there, so maybe you can consider it someday (hopefully soon )
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
@jaed

Did you actually reed their RSS license before you did this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/rss/4498287.stm

They are very specific about copyrights, attributions, link display requirements etc ... so far you seem to have ignored one each of everything they requested and they're one of the "nicer" licenses out there.

Do everyone a favor, pull it down, fix it, put it back up. We don't need the BBC getting a bad impression of the iLiad community e.g. don't make it harder for those of us doing it correctly!
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
@jaed

Did you actually reed their RSS license before you did this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/rss/4498287.stm

They are very specific about copyrights, attributions, link display requirements etc ... so far you seem to have ignored one each of everything they requested and they're one of the "nicer" licenses out there.

Do everyone a favor, pull it down, fix it, put it back up. We don't need the BBC getting a bad impression of the iLiad community e.g. don't make it harder for those of us doing it correctly!
A quick look at the license shows that I am not in substantial breach of any of the terms... But I will correct my script, and double check the display of articles...!

Thanks for everyone-else's kind words...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
why not contact them (BBC) and get their blessing, if they give it - pass it on to iRex and see if they will feed it into iDS? (OK, unlikely, but user pressure can be a good thing, especially when you have something as useful as this!)
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Actually you are in clear violation of many of their terms.

You can lead a horse to water... oh well.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #13
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdam
why not contact them (BBC) and get their blessing, if they give it - pass it on to iRex and see if they will feed it into iDS? (OK, unlikely, but user pressure can be a good thing, especially when you have something as useful as this!)
Thank you for your *constructive* advice...! Right at the moment its more of a technology demo than any regular service... There is very, very little actual content being generated specifically for the Illiad and I hoping that this gives back to the community. If anything, it gives a look at how the html browser included with the Illiad can be used to provide a "newspaper" style service...

Right at the moment the biggest problem is my time more than anything... But I obviously welcome any *constructive* suggestions that people have...!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #14
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Your project is great jęd! The only thing i dont like is that theres no pics showing;
I understand that you will take a look at it.
This has been fixed... I need to roll out a release real, soon, now but have other time constraints... That and a really dodgy network connection...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Theres on emore thing: it would be great if there were more newspapers supported, maybe allow users to (somehow) choose their newspaper;
Which other newspapers are you interested in...? Thank you for useful and constructive comments...!

Last edited by jęd; 10-12-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
OK - I was being flipant .. but this is a good initiative :-)
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote