Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Bookeen SAGA (NOLIM in France & Spain) new approach to e-reader design

This makes me instantly want one!

PR: https://blog.bookeen.com/2017/10/18/...ket-with-saga/

Detail: https://bookeen.com/pages/bookeen-saga

Quote:
Key Features:

Technical Specifications
Multi Touch Paper-like Display
Screen: 6 ''/Resolution: 1024/DPI: 213
Technology: E-Ink
Touchscreen: Capacitive multi-touch

FrontLight System
Invisible Laminated Light Film Guide
Anti Glare Treatment/Led Lighting
20 levels of Lightning

Fast and Powerful Engine
CPU: Allwinner A13 Cortex A8 1 GHz

Elegant and compact Design
Dimensions: 134 x 155 x 15 mm
Weight: The Saga is an all-in-one ereader of 320 with cover

Storage
8 GB, more or less 8000 ebooks

Buttons
Mechanical buttons: Frontlight, page forward, page backward, menu, On/Off button

Connectivity
Wi-Fi (802 .11b/g/N)
Battery Life
Battery: 1900 mAh. /Battery Life approx. 1 month (can depend on Wi-Fi usage)

Gyro
Gyroscope Embedded for left and right handed

Components
On/off Thanks to Smart cover technology/Cable for charge and synchronization

Language
User interface available in 27 languages

Web Browser/OS: Linux/Adobe Reader Mobile: SDK 10/supported ebook standards: EPub, PDF, Adobe ® DRM, HTML, TXT, FB2,

Pictures: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, ICO, TIF, PS

Software
PDF reflow/Notes/bookmarks/highlights/dictionary (depends on language settings) search/20 font sizes/reading progress/export annotations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compo_v1-saga1.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	159862  

Last edited by issybird; 11-07-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Oversize image thumbnailed.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
That looks like a nice little reader. I didn't see any mention of price.

Screen seems similar to my Kobo Aura. No mention of waterproofing. With that silicone case, it seems like it should be, but I guess it isn't.

I do worry that the page forward, menu and page back buttons are bunched close together. Also, though you can flip it, if you are a lefty the bottom button is now page back.

Still, these are minor quibbles.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The bottom button is page back regardless of orientation. I do think it's odd that it's not page forward. I'd have to hold it to see how it feels.

Apparently, this SAGA is on display at an event in Germany at the moment, and release said November 2017 and we're here already so I hope they don't miss the Christmas selling period.

It was previously only available in France and Spain as the NOLIM from supermarket/retailer Carrefour.

There are reviews out there
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/liseus...9167/test.html

pricing for NOLIM is: €129.90
http://www.carrefour.fr/search/site/...can_redirect=1

it would be great if they go for €99 with the SAGA rebrand and wider launch.

NOLIM video review by goodereader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gULvHZr1RQ

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 11-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not overly enamoured by the raised bezel; my personal preference is for flush screens - much easier to keep clean. In a market where 300dpi screens are becoming increasingly the norm, using the older 213dpi screen is a strange choice - there's a noticeable difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
gingerbeardman
Zealot

They seem to be going for the mass market, impulse buy?

The reading experience and features look good.

The user interface feels really cramped, especially around the edges of the screen with buttons positioned right up against the (raised) bezel.

Hmm.

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 11-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's presumably the case, but it's in very much the same price bracket as the Kindle Paperwhite (which has 4GB storage rather than 8, but a 300dpi screen).
Old 11-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
gingerbeardman
Zealot

True. I need to load ePub and PDF so Kindle I've never seriously considered a Kindle.

Anyway, here's some other commentary: https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/05/bookeen/
Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
US only, but the new Nook has 300 dpi and 8 GB storage for $120.

I think everyone should be glad that there's still some vitality in the eink reader market. We all benefit in the long run.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i would presume the gyroscope feature would automatically flip the book, depending on if you hold it with your left or right hand? if this is so, good addition. but the kindle oasis has already done this. so i don't know how bookeen can claim it's innovative. and i think the addition of a non-removable silicone cover only detracts. these covers are dust magnets. and what if it breaks apart due to wear and tear. it would just not look good without any option to change out the cover. the alternative to a new cover reminds me of high school text books where i folded a brown paper bag over the book's actual front and back covers just to keep the book cover from getting dirty.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The gyroscope is obviously needed for the inertial navigation system.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i would presume the gyroscope feature would automatically flip the book, depending on if you hold it with your left or right hand? if this is so, good addition. but the kindle oasis has already done this. so i don't know how bookeen can claim it's innovative.
Bookeen did it with the Opus long before the Oasis was a gleam in Amazon's eye.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
The bottom button is page back regardless of orientation.
Doh! You're right.

Quote:
I do think it's odd that it's not page forward. I'd have to hold it to see how it feels.
Yeah, that seems like an odd choice.

At $120.00 the Nook seems like a better choice. It has most of the features of the Saga and a better screen that can change color.

I wish the Bookeen Saga was around $80-100.00. At that point, it would have a niche. I do think it is neat looking.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-07-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
If you want to buy one, be sure to get it in black:

Quote:
The SAGA range declines in 4 colors: black, green, yellow and blue.
(From the Bookeen blog.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:33 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
At $120.00 the Nook seems like a better choice. It has most of the features of the Saga and a better screen that can change color.
Needless to say, the Nook is not an option for the overwhelming majority of people. It's only sold in the US.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Needless to say, the Nook is not an option for the overwhelming majority of people. It's only sold in the US.
I guess. But then the Bookeen isn't exactly an option in the US, yet we still manage to get one if we want it bad enough