Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #31
Lynx-lynx
Grace Cossington Smith
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Google thinks that's in Swahili...
Swahili heh ... Well it was google translate that converted the English phrase into Japanese.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #32
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
The fix to .cbz is good enough to update my Wife's H2O.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #33
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that it also accepts Gift Cards;

Unfortunately, it would seem that Gift Cards are not available in the Netherlands (See https://support.google.com/googlepla..._topic=3421698 )
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My bank card functions as a debit card or a credit card. Can you get such a bank card from her bank?
No, in our country creditcards are separated from bankcards, a creditcard is not such a common good as it is on other country's, you can pay everywhere with the chip on the bankcard and by NFC, and the creditcard company's no longer accepts the paper slip,so if you are not paying cash then the seller uses a portable terminal where to put the creditcard in,but then u can use your bankcard also.
Beside that,the creditcard costs 5 euro's a month even when u don't use it.
I think I use mine once in 3 months or so,and the giftcards don't work either so the suggestion to use my card on a own account is think the best.
But,we are sliding offtopic here.. it is a bad case Kobo left a lot of problems there only to introduce the ratings, a lot of Touch owners rather would see that they fixed the bug of the SD cards but sales and book promotions are higher on the list.. money first.. and they build a profile of you with every book u rate..whats in 3.13.0.. commercials based on your interest ??
Did Mark Zuckerberg buyed Kobo ?
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #34
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I think 3.12.0 is worth installing on Touch, and if it is only for the "connected and charging (or charged)" screen.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #35
ewphoenix123
Groupie
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PRS-700, PRS-650, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O
Does the hide header & footer option still cut off text at the right side, or has the this been fixed?

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 12-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.
ewphoenix123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #36
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Does the hide header & footer option still cut off text at the right side, or has the this been fixed?
Unless you are speaking of yet another bug I don't know about, the trimmed fonts in the right margin (and also in the left, look at italic j's) is not related to that option. It always happens in kepubs (not in epubs) when the book doesn't have margins/padding.
But it's true that sometimes the book pagination goes FUBAR when you turn on/off that feature, or just on book exiting to home screen and reopening. A font size or margin modification usually fixes the layout.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Yes, it still has problems with some kepub. Epubs have never had the problem
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #38
Lynx-lynx
Grace Cossington Smith
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if the issue I have with my book is to do with this new firmware version or the book ..... (What I do know is that instead of continuing to sit down and read the book I'm now on the pc and telling you lot about my problem, lol!!)

The book: Paul Fussell's The Great War and modern Memory. I bought it from Kobo as an epub2, so I didn't need to convert it when I put it into Calibre.

I've gotten about 90 pages in and whammo I can no longer read the book.

What happens is that every time I go to turn a page the book closes to the device home screen showing that it's finished.

So, at various times I've gone into the book and opened the Table of Contents and successfully moved to the next chapter (from where it got stuck), and when I swipe to move to the next page the book closes and goes to the device home screen. I've also tried opening the book using the page slide bar, and irrespective of what number page it's supposed to open at, it actually opens at page 53 (or thereabouts), and then bombs out when I swipe to go to the next screen.

I've also done a pin re-set and nothing changes. In fact the book comes back up showing finished.

I've also deleted the book from the device and re-loaded it afresh from Calibre - again I can't get past either page 1 or whatever chapter I go to because when I swipe the book closes and goes back to the device home screen showing book finished.

I've checked the pages of the book in Calibre and can successfully read the area where the book fell over, and anywhere else for that matter.

One thing to note is that earlier in the book from where it fell over I had made two highlights. Before I deleted the book from the device I used the Calibre feature of moving the Annotations into Calibre - and that happened successfully.

So what the darn is going on?????
Old 12-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #39
Lynx-lynx
Grace Cossington Smith

Something else: even though I'd used the delete book from the device option, the book didn't delete!

I could see the book when I plugged it into my PC (My Computer). So I deleted it from there and deleted the Calibre version (oh well so much for the parts of the book that I'd highlighted, eh!).

I then freshly installed the book from Sony Reader for PC into Calibre and sideloaded once again onto my Glo. And I know you'll believe this when I tell you that instead of a clean copy showing up I got a copy with 17 bookmarks and two highlights!

What the stuff!

Well, it seems that I'm not going to be successful in reading this book at this point in time, so I'm moving on to something else. What a weird scenario ....
Old 12-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds like an error in the code in the book. The calibre viewer is not good for finding this sort of thing as it tends to handle the error quietly and display the book. If this is the case, the error checking in the calibre editor might show the error. Or Sigil might if you prefer that. An epub-to-epub conversion will probably fix it.

There is a case that I haven't quite worked out that annotations can cause a problem like this. What I think is if the locations in the annotation no longer exist in the chapter, they will cause this problem when you try to go to that page. I don't think this will have an effect on navigating to a later chapter, so that might not be the problem here. But, if it is, deleting the annotations should fix the problem. And using the Annotations plugin shouldn't cause a problem. It only read the annotations from the database and doesn't change anything on the device.

If you want to send me the book, I'll have a look and see if I can see what is wrong.

Edit: OK, it was fixed by going back to the original source. Maybe something corrupted it the last time and that has been fixed.

The annotations reappearing is expected. For epubs in the main memory, the annotations are written to an annotations file as well as the database. Deleting the book does not remove this file. And the file is linked to the book by the file names of both. When you opened the new copy of the book, as the file name was the same, the annotations file was read from the annotations file.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-07-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #41
Lynx-lynx
Grace Cossington Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That sounds like an error in the code in the book. The calibre viewer is not good for finding this sort of thing as it tends to handle the error quietly and display the book. If this is the case, the error checking in the calibre editor might show the error. Or Sigil might if you prefer that. An epub-to-epub conversion will probably fix it.

There is a case that I haven't quite worked out that annotations can cause a problem like this. What I think is if the locations in the annotation no longer exist in the chapter, they will cause this problem when you try to go to that page. I don't think this will have an effect on navigating to a later chapter, so that might not be the problem here. But, if it is, deleting the annotations should fix the problem. And using the Annotations plugin shouldn't cause a problem. It only read the annotations from the database and doesn't change anything on the device.

If you want to send me the book, I'll have a look and see if I can see what is wrong.

Edit: OK, it was fixed by going back to the original source. Maybe something corrupted it the last time and that has been fixed.

The annotations reappearing is expected. For epubs in the main memory, the annotations are written to an annotations file as well as the database. Deleting the book does not remove this file. And the file is linked to the book by the file names of both. When you opened the new copy of the book, as the file name was the same, the annotations file was read from the annotations file.
Thanks for your help David

Nope, nothing that I've done has fixed it.

Emailing you ....
Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #42
Squarty
Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.Squarty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
where should i put "upgrade" folder ?
Squarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarty View Post
where should i put "upgrade" folder ?
The instructions for manually installing the firmware are in an early post in the thread that has the download links. I suggest you read that before you do anything else.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #44
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
You should only sideload the firmware if you really, really need the latest version.

Since this version offers almost nothing new, not sideloading it is an extremely valid option.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #45
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
There's some difference in how 3.12.0 handles fonts though, it's been mentioned in GeoffR's patch thread. In 3.11.0 with his patch, some fonts still didn't work correctly when you went to the Advanced Settings. In 3.12.0 it seems all fonts now correctly change as they should through the Advanced Settings, even your sideloaded extra fonts. For that alone it might be worth the upgrade for most. I haven't noticed that it's broken anything yet as well, which is always a plus!

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-07-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote