Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Compare a paper white 1 to a paper white 2

Would someone who has ordered a new paper white 2, who also owns a paper white 1 please write a comparison of the two models. The comparison would be interesting to me.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm also interested in knowing this.
Sassapphras is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm sure several people will. They're not shipping for a couple of weeks yet.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I saw a table listing the differences on one of the sites where a review was done, but I can't remember where. Use Google and you will probably find it.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am sure Goodereader will put a comparison side by side. They frequently do this when a new model comes out. Here's an example for a comparison between PW and Aura HD

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Wifi Paperwhite and a 3G Paperwhite and I've wished they were both 3G. I bought the Wifi one when they first came out and it was all I could afford at the time. I was very eager to get the light.

I've been thinking of getting another 3G Paperwhite for a long time but that doesn't have a really high priority for me, but with the new one coming out and my curiosity about it added into the mix, I'll probably get one. I want to read a few user reviews and wait at least a couple of weeks to see if there are any problems but then I'll probably get one.

The main worry I have about this is that it'll be so very much better that I'll want a second new one instead of my old one.

Why can't life be easier.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I am sure Goodereader will put a comparison side by side. They frequently do this when a new model comes out. Here's an example for a comparison between PW and Aura HD
Considering how bad Goodereader is with tests and comparisons, you could also ask your cat. He'd end up doing a better one.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The main worry I have about this is that it'll be so very much better that I'll want a second new one instead of my old one.

Why can't life be easier.

Barry
Exactly. This is the all time problem and you will know it if you have an iPhone or an iPad, you'll be always getting the latest.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #9
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post

Personally, I'd rather have root canal treatment than suffer watching these 2 numpties.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Would someone who has ordered a new paper white 2, who also owns a paper white 1 please write a comparison of the two models. The comparison would be interesting to me.
Hardware wise it's suppose to be 25% faster than PW1. The lighting has been improved but there is no real info on what they did.
It has a new screen. The new PW has a Carta Screen. The old one is Pearl.
Compare Carta vs Pearl in the PW here Also it suppose to respond better to touch. I have no touch issues with my PW. I think it's too sensitive at times so this worries me.

One reviewer who owns both said it is lighter but Amazon specs hasn't change. It could be they distribute the weight different or the new screen makes it lighter. We will have to see.

Software wise there is PageFlip, Inline Foot Notes, Flash Cards and Free Time (For the Kiddies) And later integration with Goodreads. The word lookup feature has changed its look with X-Ray accessible where the dictionary window is. We suspect that some of these features will be ported over to the Old PW later on.

So basically the new PW2 is Faster, improved lighting and a new screen with better contrast. Possibly lighter in weight. The firmware it uses may or may not be released for the PW1.

Not a huge update but considering their hasn't been a new screen released since Pearl to me it's a major release. Amazon showed up close of the letters on the Carta Screen and there was no pixelation whatsoever!

Last edited by Blossom; 09-12-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hardware wise it's suppose to be 25% faster than PW1. The lighting has been improved but there is no real info on what they did.
Compare Carta vs Pearl in the PW here Also it suppose to respond better to touch. I have no touch issues with my PW. I think it's too sensitive at times so this worries me.

One reviewer who owns both said it is lighter but Amazon specs hasn't change. It could be they distribute the weight different or the new screen makes it lighter. We will have to see.

Software wise there is PageFlip, Inline Foot Notes, Flash Cards and Free Time (For the Kiddies) And later integration with Goodreads. The word lookup feature has changed its look with X-Ray accessible where the dictionary window is. We suspect that some of these features will be ported over to the Old PW later on.

So basically the new PW2 is Faster, improved lighting and a new screen with better contrast. Possibly lighter in weight. The firmware it uses may or may not be released for the PW1.

Not a huge update but considering their hasn't been a new screen released since Pearl to me it's a major release. Amazon showed up close of the letters on the Carta Screen and there was no pixelation whatsoever!
As far as I can see, Inline Foot Notes and Free Time are only available in the US. Why is a mystery to me....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
As far as I can see, Inline Foot Notes and Free Time are only available in the US. Why is a mystery to me....
More than likely they just forgot to add it in the description.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
What is published so far, I'll be more interested in the software upgrades. For me, the supposed hardware improvements don't justify to to upgrade of my PW1 yet. Hope Amazon will offer the new features to PW1 users.
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Compare Carta vs Pearl in the PW here
I agree. The new Carta screen was enough for me to justify an upgrade. That, and I am a tech junkie (at least when it comes to ereaders). It will be the first ereader on the market with the new screen. Also, I expect they improved the lighting considerably. I am also looking forward to Regal technology. It will be my first experience with that. No whole-page refreshes, I am intrigued. I also use Goodreads a lot so I see myself using that integration to sync my Amazon books with my Goodreads account. I think the PW2 will be a worthy upgrade.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Considering how bad Goodereader is with tests and comparisons, you could also ask your cat. He'd end up doing a better one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Personally, I'd rather have root canal treatment than suffer watching these 2 numpties.
But not that funny since you are both absolutely spot on about the worth of those video reviews.

Quote:
More than likely they just forgot to add it in the description.
Once maybe but not in two different pages. The pop-up advert like "What's New... Show me" link and from the actual feature list on the product page are both different. So that doesn't look like an oversight. The 'In-line Footnotes' maybe, but perhaps the fact that the other two, 'Share with Friends on Goodreads' & 'Kindle FreeTime' are both listed as coming soon, so perhaps deliberately left out or are there licence or privacy issues with these options that would restrict it to the US only to start with?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-12-2013 at 10:47 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote