Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
pg111
Connoisseur
pg111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Do you use calibre to manage your printed books library?

Hi everybody,

My subject may seem irrelevant to this place but I would be curious to know if some of you use calibre to manage their printed books library.

Cheers.

Patrik
pg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg111 View Post
Hi everybody,

My subject may seem irrelevant to this place but I would be curious to know if some of you use calibre to manage their printed books library.

Cheers.

Patrik
Yes. That was the first (empty) books I added, Followed by the Baen Free Library.
I tagged (you can set a tag in the Add from ISBN) <In Paper Library> and I even made a rule to color the titles with that tag GREEN
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yes. That was the first (empty) books I added, Followed by the Baen Free Library.
I tagged (you can set a tag in the Add from ISBN) <In Paper Library> and I even made a rule to color the titles with that tag GREEN
And do you continue using calibre for your paper library?

I'm asking because for my paper library I'm a happy user of BookCATs although its development has been stopped for a while now.

I'd be interested in having one single place to manage all my books whatever eBooks or printed books.

This is why I would be interested in knowing other people's experience about the subject.

Cheers.

Patrik
Old 08-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
more or less.

I buy more commercial paper books than I buy commercial ebooks, but I keep very few of them. Once I've read them I drop them into streetside share libraries. I carry a list of books I've read on my phone. The list is from calibre's CSV Catalogue tool, prettified into HTML with CSV File View.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
pg111
Connoisseur

Thanks, BR, but what I have on mind is a wider case of use. My final goal would be unifying my two digital books and paper books libraries into a single management system that features the best from BookCAT but in calibre UI.

Is it what custom columns are made for?

Patrik

Last edited by pg111; 08-15-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Minor updates
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg111 View Post
Thanks,BR, but what I have on mind is a more wide case of use. My final goal would be unifying my two digital books and paper books libraries into a single management system that features the best from BookCAT but in calibre UI.

Is it what custom columns are made for?

Patrik
In this case there is no requirement to use any custom columns, the Add Books drop down has two relevant options, viz

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	165622

I mainly use the first one with silly values in author and title e.g. fred and blah, this will add a line to the top of the list which I then edit. I do all my metadata editing on the book list lines, rather than the modal dialogue boxes.

I have an Admin Tags custom column in which I put values such as Paper Book, Wanted Book, EBook etc. I prefer to only put Subject descriptors into the built-in Tags column.

If you can get a CSV file from BookCAT you could use the Import List plugin to replicate the BookCAT catalogue in calibre,

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-15-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
pg111
Connoisseur

@BR, I should have been more specific in my question about custom columns. I think that there are a number of features in BookCAT that calibre may lack. So if I want to have the same convenience in managing paper books in calibre as in BookCAT, then I should create custom columns so I can use needed fields that are missing in calibre (if any, since I first have to step by step compare the book info provided by both apps and check what is missing).
Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Calibre's built in columns map to the subset of Dublin Core elements most commonly supported by typical ebook reading software and devices + the series column, from memory that's about 12.

However, its custom column feature provides a rich set of data types and there's no practical limit on the number of custom columns you can add. FX: readers of FanFiction have all sorts of custom columns - who's sleeping with who, cross-overs (???), universes, etc, etc. My Test library has over 50 custom columns (it's a mess).

BR
Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 AM   #9
pg111
Connoisseur

@BR, Thanks for your reply.

Now as I said I will have to create in calibre an empty book that already exists in BookCAT and step by step check if some BookCAT fields are missing in calibre. If so I will have to create any missing fields as custom columns in calibre. When I have completed this stage I will try to figure out a field mapping so I can import my exported BookCAT library into calibre.

Do you think that it makes sense?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@pg111: That sounds about right. And if BookCAT can produce a CSV of the book details, have a look at the Import List plugin. It can do the mapping of the CSV to columns in calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:38 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@pg111 - yes, that makes sense. If you give the calibre custom columns you want to copy from BookCAT the same name then there's no mapping to do. But be careful you don't copy BookCAT's shortcomings, calibre's flexibility may offer more efficient/convenient alternatives.

I get the impression you may be over-thinking it. I suggest you select a representative subset of books (probably about 30) from the BookCAT catalogue and add them manually to an "Experimental" calibre library. You can then add/remove/change custom columns as you see fit, play around with Preference settings to see what they do, try out some of the plugins etc etc.

@davidfor - I already gave IL a plug

BR
Old 08-16-2018, 03:55 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But, that was hours ago. You don't expect me to remember that far back do you?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:07 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, that was hours ago. You don't expect me to remember that far back do you?
Ah, the old short-term memory failure excuse, eh?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@pg111 - yes, that makes sense. If you give the calibre custom columns you want to copy from BookCAT the same name then there's no mapping to do. But be careful you don't copy BookCAT's shortcomings, calibre's flexibility may offer more efficient/convenient alternatives.

I get the impression you may be over-thinking it. I suggest you select a representative subset of books (probably about 30) from the BookCAT catalogue and add them manually to an "Experimental" calibre library. You can then add/remove/change custom columns as you see fit, play around with Preference settings to see what they do, try out some of the plugins etc etc.

BR
@BR Thanks for the tip but it is exactly what I want to do. I always work on test and trials first until I'm 100pct sure everything works just fine.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@pg111: That sounds about right. And if BookCAT can produce a CSV of the book details, have a look at the Import List plugin. It can do the mapping of the CSV to columns in calibre.
Thanks. Actually a few months ago I created a csv export from calibre to be imported into BookCAT. Now I'm considering following the reverse way from BookCAT to calibre. Of course I will make sure to first work on a test calibre library and try to import a subset of my BookCAT paper books library into calibre.

I promise to keep everybody here posted about the outcome but for a number of reasons that may be in several weeks ahead.

Last edited by pg111; 08-16-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Improvement