Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Apple announces new cheaper iPad to replace Air 2 & red iPhones, etc.

Apple announces new $329 9.7-inch iPad, replaces iPad Air 2, goes on sale Friday
Quote:
The Apple Store is back up and Apple has just announced a new cheaper iPad, going on sale Friday for $329. The product replaces the iPad Air 2 in the lineup and is simply called ‘iPad’, available in three colors with 32 GB storage.

The $329 iPad features older internal components to enable the lower price point, featuring an Apple A9 chip although the 9.7-inch Retina display is brighter. It does not support Apple Pencil or include a Smart Connector like the ‘iPad Pro’ line. Apple has also increased the storage capacity on iPad mini …

The best, strongest, Lightning cables ... buy braided cables here
In a statement, Apple SVP Phil Schiller said that the new iPad will appeal to new users and old iPad owners, looking for a new tablet to use at home, school or at work.

The $329 iPad includes a brighter 9.7-inch Retina display than the iPad Air 2 that it replaces. It’s $70 cheaper than the iPad Air 2, which is no longer on sale. The new iPad has an A9 chip whereas the iPad Air 2 had an A8X;. Unfortunately, the new iPad is about 20% thicker than the iPad Air 2 which is a little disappointing.

Apple officially announces (RED) iPhone 7 & 7 Plus, updated iPhone SE with double the storage
Quote:
Apple today has taken the wraps off of a new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The device was unveiled alongside a new iPad and a new social video editing app.

Apple made the announcement in a press release, which contained quotes from Tim Cook and offered up more details on the (RED) initiative.

In the press release, Apple CEO Tim Cook explained that (RED) gives customers an unprecedented way to contribute to the Global Fund for AIDS research. Cook explained that thus far, the (RED) initiative has been very successful and the new iPhone 7 color variant will further lend to the growth of the effort:

Everything Apple announced today (and what we’re still waiting for)
Quote:
Apple may not have held an event for its latest announcements, but it has certainly been an eventful morning in terms of rumored products launching. There’s also a lot left in the product pipeline that didn’t get announced (and would warrant an event). Here’s what we learned from today’s announcements:

For starters, we now know that Apple actually will pre-announce when the Apple Online Store is going down for several hours of ‘maintenance’ to update product pages. I was skeptical but optimistic yesterday. The mystery created hype like a small-scale Apple event, although anyone waiting for an iPad Pro 2 was disappointed.

Shortly before the store came back online, we saw the still rumored red iPhone teased by a Chinese retailer without confirmation one was coming today. Then came this year’s March iPhone announcement: Product RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in 128GB and 256GB capacities.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if they will announce anything else? There was a lot of speculation for a new iPad Pro with a slightly larger screen than the 9.7 inch model. I always thought that was a strange prediction. They thought it would basically be the size of the 9.7 but with a thinner bezzle. I'm not sure how you would hold it if it had a nearly non-existent bezzle. At any rate the wow factor of their announcements is pretty close to zero as far as I'm concerned. Woopity doo da they introduced a RED iPhone. And the Air 2 replacement is no big deal to me either. I'm sure some will go gaga over them though. More minor updates without innovation. I think they also bumped up the minimum memory of the iPad Mini 4.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-21-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Bit of a non-event, really. I'm interested in the increased capacity of the SE but would have liked to see a spec bump too. REd iphone? Who cares... and I'll stick with my iPad Air2.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I'm also going to stick with my iPad Air 2 for the time being. It works as a nice tablet and part time laptop well enough right now and still supports the latest versions of iOS and all of the software that I use. If I get any sort of upgrade for the iPad in the future it will almost certainly be one of the Pro models... but the Air 2 is plenty of iPad for me right now so even that is not going to happen for quite some time.

But that new $329 price point for the basic 9.7 inch iPad is a very tempting price for anyone who has been holding on to their iPad for a very long time or who have been wanting one in this size class but just can't stomach the typical iPad 9.7 price tag. But we will have to see what the market for tablets does... because for the last 12 quarters or so people have been indicating that they are either content with their current iPads or just don't give a darn about them anymore.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Nothing that really impresses me. I might consider an ipad mini with more memory and thumb print unlock. My big want is a new iMac to replace my 5 year old iMac.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a short YouTube video from Mac Rumors showing everything Apple announced in what I will call their Mega-Meh Non-Event. BTW, the new iPad that replaces the iPad Air 2 is definitely a step backwards as it it thicker, heavier, the screen is not fully laminated, lacks a non-reflective screen, etc. It is the new entry level, stripped down iPad. So don't get too excited by its low price--there is a reason they will sell them for that price.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-22-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have built a page for the iPad 2017 in our wiki. As compared to the iPad Air it is the same size and weight (The Air 2 is thinner and lighter). The 64G option has be dropped. Reviews say the new unit is missing the anti-reflective coating on the surface. It has an A9 processor versus the Air 2 with an 8X. I will keep my Air 2.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have built a page for the iPad 2017 in our wiki. As compared to the iPad Air it is the same size and weight (The Air 2 is thinner and lighter). The 64G option has be dropped. Reviews say the new unit is missing the anti-reflective coating on the surface. It has an A9 processor versus the Air 2 with an 8X. I will keep my Air 2.
This sentence contradicts itself. The last part is correct. The Air 2 is lighter and thinner, but the width and height are perhaps the same as the new iPad. Need to verify width and height. If you read my previous post you will see the screen on the new iPad, simply named iPad, is not fully laminated and lacks a non-reflective screen.

So in summation, the new iPad, named by Apple as simply the iPad, has the following comparison to the iPad Air 2 which it replaces:
  • Width the same (verify)
  • Height the same (verify)
  • Thicker than Air 2
  • Heavier than Air 2
  • Screen is not fully laminated
  • Lacks a non-reflective screen

Truly a bland iPad designed to satisfy newcomers and force the rest of us to upgrade to a Pro model. With iPad sales declining, I guess Apple had to rethink the low end model.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-23-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I don't see the contradiction. The first highlighted sentence is about the iPad Air and the parenthetical one is about the Air 2.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I expect new iPad Pro models will arrive within a few months, maybe along with iPhone 8 and iOS 11 etc. They really needed to simplify the offerings (note iPad mini 2 is gone, and there is only one memory configuration for iPad mini 4 now). Certainly the new iPad is attractive upgrade option if you have an iPad prior to iPad Air, given the lower entry cost.

It would be nice if the iPad Pro price points drop a little as well when they ship those.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
It's not very much of an up grade for me, since I have the Air now, only the A9 processor. I would rather up grade to an Air 2, I was hoping they would be going on sale.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
It's not very much of an up grade for me, since I have the Air now, only the A9 processor. I would rather up grade to an Air 2, I was hoping they would be going on sale.
I wasn't really looking before , I thought Apple would continue with an Air 3. I'll pick up an Air 2, at some point , for the most part they can be found new on sale on different sites. The Pro is nice too. I think I'll be happy with the Air 2, instead.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don't see the contradiction. The first highlighted sentence is about the iPad Air and the parenthetical one is about the Air 2.
Ummmmmmmmm, there are only two iPads being compared, and they are the new iPad (simply called iPad) and the replaced iPad Air 2. The sentence structure makes it seem as those are being compared, and those two are not the same size or weight. If he was comparing the new iPad to the original Air then that was not at all clear. Perhaps just an awkwardly worded sentence. At any rate, we need the Wiki to be spot on for accuracy as far as the size of the new iPad, and it is important that people understand that the new iPad is thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2. Consumer do not need a comparison to discontinued iPads, they only need a comparison with the current iPad Air 2.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-27-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Truly a bland iPad designed to satisfy newcomers and force the rest of us to upgrade to a Pro model.
If they show up at your door with guns drawn telling you to get a Pro model let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Sentence seems fine to me as well. I understood the sentence to be directly comparing the size of the iPad with the first Air while the Air 2 is thinner and lighter.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Ummmmmmmmm, there are only two iPads being compared, and they are the new iPad (simply called iPad) and the replaced iPad Air 2. The sentence structure makes it seem as those are being compared, and those two are not the same size or weight. If he was comparing the new iPad to the original Air then that was not at all clear. Perhaps just an awkwardly worded sentence. At any rate, we need the Wiki to be spot on for accuracy as far as the size of the new iPad, and it is important that people understand that the new iPad is thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2. Consumer do not need a comparison to discontinued iPads, they only need a comparison with the current iPad Air 2.
IHMO a comparison to the Air is very justified. Many Air users may want to upgrade and they need to know what they are getting. This version of the iPad is very special in that the new iPad is actually built inside an Air case with an Air battery and an Air screen. This means also that covers for the Air will fit. The only part that is new is the PC board. The Air 2 is also fair to compare since, as you mentioned it is being replaced. Yes I noticed the similarity to the Air right off and led with that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote