Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
History
Enthusiast
History began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
tablet for reading news/forums

Hi all,

I am looking to get a tablet to read (mostly text) news, forums, wikipedia ...
I have two Kobo ereaders to do serious book reading. But I found that even the new Kobo Kobo Aura HD was no where near usable for web read. So I will get a tablet for web read while the e-ink technology evolving. I never owned any tablet (did playing with them at shop, of friends, but they are quite different from long reading sections)

purpose: mostly reading web pages (on wifi) and mostly on bed, (occasionally playing some simple board games such as chess)

spend: up to $500 (less is better) for a good reading experience

(1) what is the optimal screen resolution for reading? (too low blurry, too high more money for less battery life?)

(2) any recommendation?

PS: I am not in US so most of special deals such as $200 ipad (older models) is out of question
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I'd recommend the Nexus 7 (2nd gen, the 2013 version). It is very affordable ($225'ish), has over 300 dpi, pretty good battery life, and the 7" format makes it very portable (fits in the pockets of baggy jeans). Being a Google product, it always gets the latest Android versions, too. It's also powerful and can run non-simple games, too, and is beefy enough to serve as a competent chess partner.

It doesn't really have any competition at that price. I much prefer reading on my e-book devices, but the N7 is the only tablet that I felt somewhat comfortable reading books on due to the high resolution. I use mine for browsing and "light" work (such as answering mail when I'm on the couch), and I stream video wirelessly to it (from the laptop).

If you want something larger (and less portable), I'd wait for the Nexus 9. Long-term support is important to me, so for tablets I'd really only get a Nexus or an Apple product (but find them too expensive and too locked-in).
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I'd recommend the Nexus 7 (2nd gen, the 2013 version). It is very affordable ($225'ish), has over 300 dpi, pretty good battery life, and the 7" format makes it very portable
I second that. It is one tablet I have never regretted purchasing!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
History
Enthusiast

Thanks Mivo & booklover,

I am a bit concerning about site/forum without mobile version and how 7" screen can cope. (all major ones should have mobile version now?)

Cheers
Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If you are talking about the MobileRead forum, I look at it on 7" tablets all the time. I just use two fingers to enlarge. I prefer not to do a lot of typing that way, but I will read posts and it's fine for that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
My experience is the same as Booklover's. I use the N7 to browse and even post on many forums, and I never use the mobile versions even if offered. I don't have the best eyes, and don't wear glasses in bed, and it's really not a problem (if you're normal- or short-sighted anyway!). If a forum has tiny links, you can just quickly zoom in with two fingers, as Booklover wrote, and the Chrome browser will also automatically magnify a portion of the screen if it isn't sure which element you meant to touch. It sounds cumbersome, but is very fluid in practice.

I had all the same concerns before getting the N7 (I had used an iPad 2), and after the first few days of "hrm, this is pretty narrow!", it became my favorite tablet. Now all larger formats feel bulky and heavy to me. On average, I spend about two hours a day browsing or doing mail on the device.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Being a Google product, it always gets the latest Android versions, too. I
I'm going to disagree with that.

I have a Google Experience Device, and it took more than year for it to be updated to the version of Android that was current when the device was released. It is currently two or three versions behind the current version of Android.

Then there are the annoyances, like the inability to write to the micro-sd card.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I give a third vote to the Nexus 7 (2013). Very affordable, high quality, great for reading with it's 1920x1200 screen. And it is pretty holdable: very thin, about 10 oz., and very narrow if you want to hold it like a phone. There is not much bezel on the right and left so holding it by the sides (like you might with a book, where one hand holds the bottom and one holds the side, or both hold the sides) is not the easiest thing ever... but it is still doable.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
The Nexus 7 is a great device to read on, to do web browsing, puzzle type games, just about anything actually. For forums I prefer Tapatalk, but also use non mobile sites at times.

Edit: I always use non mobile sites for all browsing.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 09-30-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agree with the recommendation for the Nexus 7. Great for web browsing and reading on. It's what I'm reading MR on right now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #11
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Me too. I agree with Nexus 7. Thumbs up!
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
History
Enthusiast

thanks all,

if 7" (Nexus) is good enough for this forum, then I do not have to worry about the size then; (and Wikipedia mobile version is good enough even on my children ipod touch).

PS: I love this forum, a lot of quick helpful respond
Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi+3G
Hey, History!

You could have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247151

In this thread I discussed with other members tablet options with the same needs in mind. In the end, I went for a £129 Nook HD+ (9" 256 dpi screen!). I put Cyanogen mod 11 on it and it runs like clockwork!

The other option is pretty solid, too £80 for Hisense Sero 8 (8", 188 dpi) - the body of that tablet is as big as a normal 7" tablet - it just has a smaller bezel.

Just my 2c thrown in the pond.

Last edited by horizon21; 10-02-2014 at 08:35 PM.
horizon21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reading, tablet, web browsing