Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #2431
dpsjunior
dpsjunior began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You MUST re-install all packages with an: update_*.bin format package name!

You MUST use MrPI to install all Mobileread packages!
You are attempting to use the procedure of installing Amazon update packages.

Also re-install any other add-in that that seems to be broke (it probably is).

Once you have done all of that -
Then read the "Troubleshooting" section of the first post, tell us each of those things you have done and the result of each.
I follow the Mobileread instructions using MRPI to Install the .bin files. I reinstall the Phython but I had to put it into the mrpackages and then use MRPI on Kual Launcher. It's working now, even tough sometimes it shows the wrong book cover.
dpsjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #2432
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsjunior View Post
I follow the Mobileread instructions using MRPI to Install the .bin files. I reinstall the Phython but I had to put it into the mrpackages and then use MRPI on Kual Launcher. It's working now, even tough sometimes it shows the wrong book cover.
Great.

Now open, read, and follow the troubleshooting directions.
Tell us which of those you do and the result of each.

- - - -

quote:
"using MRPI to Install the .bin files"
That is the same as writing,
quote:
"I had to put it into the /mrpackages"
because that is the directions for re-installing.

All the *.bin packages of OURS has to be put into the /mrpackages directory and use MrPI.
Only Amazon packages use UYK.

You could also use the menu bar command, it does the same thing, runs MrPI.

Last edited by knc1; 03-21-2017 at 09:11 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 AM   #2433
thebrogan
thebrogan began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 G090KB
mrpi destroys packages

First of all new to jailbreak. Glad to see thread still active.

Jailbreaked. Added python next. Tried linkss and no. Got KUAL with extensions and MRinstaller by following the thread. Got KOReader next by putting KOReader folder and .bin in mrpackages. Or folder was in root... Tried linkss and LibrarianSync, neither worked. ran unistall.bin for both and tried again. It says destroying packages before reboot. Obviously, I'm missing something

Read the readme file on linkss. There's alot of requirements more than just putting the .bin and running KUAL. Do I need start considering running KindleTool? Or did I cause a glitch somewhere along the line? This is my 2nd jailbreak attempt on it.
thebrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 AM   #2434
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrogan View Post
First of all new to jailbreak. Glad to see thread still active.

Jailbreaked. Added python next. Tried linkss and no. Got KUAL with extensions and MRinstaller by following the thread. Got KOReader next by putting KOReader folder and .bin in mrpackages. Or folder was in root... Tried linkss and LibrarianSync, neither worked. ran unistall.bin for both and tried again. It says destroying packages before reboot. Obviously, I'm missing something

Read the readme file on linkss. There's alot of requirements more than just putting the .bin and running KUAL. Do I need start considering running KindleTool? Or did I cause a glitch somewhere along the line? This is my 2nd jailbreak attempt on it.
the only thing you are missing is to get your add-in packages from NiLuJe's snapshot thread and to follow directions exactly and completely.
If you can't do that, you should not be modifying your Kindle, following directions is the bare minimum skill required.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #2435
lllusion
lllusion began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
^knc1, thanks so much for sticking around in this thread and helping those of us who are not very acquainted with this.

So there was a kindle update today that just made the screensavers hack not work. >_< What is the procedure to try to get it back up again when the kindle gets an update? Do you recommend turning kindle auto-updates off?
lllusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #2436
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PaperWhite 2
Luckily once jailbroken it's easy to get things going again after an update. Just reinstall the hacks. The Jailbreak survives, at least it has for some time.

Just drop all the hacks into MRR and bam, you're back up and running.

All that with the caveat that the jailbreak has so far survived, but KNC1 and NiLuje would better answer that part if things change
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #2437
lllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
Luckily once jailbroken it's easy to get things going again after an update. Just reinstall the hacks. The Jailbreak survives, at least it has for some time.

Just drop all the hacks into MRR and bam, you're back up and running.

All that with the caveat that the jailbreak has so far survived, but KNC1 and NiLuje would better answer that part if things change
Well the launcher app is gone. So it looks like I will have to try to fix it while it's connected to the computer... I'm sorry, MRR? Is there any link with a guide on what to do after an update? Apologies guys/gals, I'm so new to this stuff.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #2438
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PaperWhite 2
Launcher app? KUAL? that shouldn't disappear, it never has for me.

Have you installed this (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=251143) Sorry I picked up MRR, not sure where. LOL.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #2439
lllusion

Yeah.. I had KUAL and mrpackages and etc. This is a current screenshot when I plug it in:

I checked again - no launcher in my kindle books anymore. That sucks!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #2440
thebrogan
thebrogan began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 G090KB
mrpi destroys packages

Thanks knc1. I got linkss from another site. Went to NiLuJe's and it worked first time.
thebrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #2441
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllusion View Post
Yeah.. I had KUAL and mrpackages and etc. This is a current screenshot when I plug it in:

I checked again - no launcher in my kindle books anymore. That sucks!
Are you using the 'document' or the 'booklet' version of KUAL?
If using the 'document' version, it should be in /documents (which you do not show).

If that has disappeared from /documents during an update -
If you live in the USA -
Then you have caught Amazon committing a felony - notify Home Land Security and report their messing with your personal information and documents on your Kindle computer.

Last edited by knc1; 03-27-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #2442
lllusion

Looks like it was booklet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-cap.png
Views:	7
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	155876

So what should I do? Just delete everything and start from scratch?

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 03:02 PM. Reason: Image thumbnailed to comply with size restrictions
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #2443
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict

No.

That looks like a view of the files on your PC, not on the Kindle.

Put:
KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 in the /documents directory of the Kindle.
That would be found at the topmost visible level of USB storage.

NOT in a /documents directory on the PC - (yes, some people have tried that )
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #2444
lllusion

I was just showing that it was indeed booklet is all. And that's pretty funny. If I was that bad then everyone offering advice would need to be paid an hourly rate.

Well anyway, I already had that file in /documents on my kindle but I moved it in there again and replaced it. No discernible difference. Just let me know at any point if I should google a guide and start over, but it sure would be nice to revive the working launcher and all without going back to square one.
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #2445
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllusion View Post
I was just showing that it was indeed booklet is all. And that's pretty funny. If I was that bad then everyone offering advice would need to be paid an hourly rate.

Well anyway, I already had that file in /documents on my kindle but I moved it in there again and replaced it. No discernible difference. Just let me know at any point if I should google a guide and start over, but it sure would be nice to revive the working launcher and all without going back to square one.
In that case, you are using the "Document" version of KUAL, not the "Booklet" version.

Change the display filter to include all active documents.

Terms depend on firmware version, but most recently in the upper left of the home screen. What is the firmware version?

Do not start over, you can only make things worse.
Keep your finger away from the "Reset" button!

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch