Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
Kevon513
Kevon513 began at the beginning.

Location: In a house quaintly situated between my front and back yards.
Device: Kindle
DIY Kindle Cover that will last forEVER

I like to think of myself as "crafty" and not "completely bored stiff on a long excruciatingly slow night at work"

Yes, crafty, that's a good word

So here is my homemade Kindle cover, the best part is, if it gets damaged, scuffed, dirty, dull, anything really... Just put a fresh layer of duct tape on it and it's good as new!

I probably should have taken some pictures as I made it, but I was a whirlwind of duct tape and it was done before I knew it.
It was pretty simple,
The front and back covers are rectangles of cardboard cut from an Amazon shipping box. I used that box for the irony, it's not the one the kindle came in. It was a box that diapers came in which makes it even more ironic considering my choice in reading material is often referred to as the same as what goes into said diapers.
Behind the Kindle and the opposite side (the black parts) are cut from 1/8in crafting foam, the crafting foam was also used in the bottom triangle shaped holders and in a 1/4in wide strip down the spine to give the duct tape a little rigidity.
I used half inch braided elastic to make the top holders and the strap used to keep the case closed.

The Kindle fits quite snugly and is in no danger of falling out. However, if, in time, it should ever begin to get loose ..... it's easily fixed, with a little mo' duct tape.

Thanks for reading/looking.
Kevon513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Welcome to the forum man! Well, you protected it really well, this is what I call DIY, not some fancy stuff with with part bought at store
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
Nice. I like duct tape too.

Get some aluminium sheet for extra protection.
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

TERRIFIC and thanks for sharing. Very relevant; I just finished making a website on how I made my duct-tape wallet!
http://www.sticksite.com/wallet/
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
haha! I knew it was just a matter of time!

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMaker View Post
TERRIFIC and thanks for sharing. Very relevant; I just finished making a website on how I made my duct-tape wallet!
http://www.sticksite.com/wallet/
Doesn't the duct tape "bleed" the sticky glue at its edges if it warms up? I'm not suggesting anything about the temp of your a$$ by the way!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I dig it.

Welcome to the forums!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
very crafty
Welcome.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Doesn't the duct tape "bleed" the sticky glue at its edges if it warms up? I'm not suggesting anything about the temp of your a$$ by the way!
I made a wallet with duct tape AND tinfoil, uffcaws, but NO problems yet.
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
cegrundler
Enthusiast
cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Got to love duct-tape! I did something similar, though to give some contrast I used Gorilla Tape on the edges.

http://cegrundler.wordpress.com/2010...-kindle-cover/

I have a few other covers I've done, all made from stuff around the house.

http://cegrundler.wordpress.com/diy-kindle-covers/
cegrundler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Next thing you know these will be popping up on fleaBay!
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
fettpett
Enthusiast
fettpett began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
Next thing you know these will be popping up on fleaBay!
haha, yeah, $40 each
fettpett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I might get the left over tape when my daughter finishes her prom dress and make myself a cover. It would be very colorful, to say the least. I dont' even remember how many colors of tape we bought, but it was at least 5.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
cegrundler
Enthusiast
cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I just put together a padded DIY cover that is so simple most anyone could make it. It's not duct-tape but it is quick, easy, there's no sewing, it cost less than $11 and it took me under a half-hour from start to finish.

I posted the full tutorial on my blog: http://cegrundler.wordpress.com/2011...over-tutorial/ I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!

And I'm giving it away, if anyone is interested. (Kindle and kitty not included)
cegrundler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I made this Kindle Touch cover from a hollowed hard cover book. Although, I'm not sure if it provides enough protection. What do you think? I'm just going to use it when I'm outside. I basically glued the sides of the book (the pages) and cut out the pages in the center.

Last edited by markbot; 11-22-2011 at 11:45 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote