Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Chirishman
Chirishman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Kindle GPS function

Just picked up a very lightly used kindle 1 to replace my broken Sony PRS-500 and I've spent the last day or so kicking the tires. Loaded content onto it, tried the image viewer, web browser, audioplayer. all of that. Works wonderfully and i'm happy with it especially for the price that i got it for ($160!)
Only problem is the GPS thing won't work. Is that normal? Did amazon stop supporting it? When i try to use it i get the google maps page only with “Not Avail, Not Avail” in the search box.
Chirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
They've never supported it. I think it's an almost implemented feature that they pulled at the last minute, which is too bad. It'd be useful if it ever worked.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
It's not really GPS -- just a routine that tries to estimate your location by triangulating off of the cell towers. It never worked for me.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
Chirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi;
It's not really GPS -- just a routine that tries to estimate your location by triangulating off of the cell towers. It never worked for me.
I know it's not actually a GPS. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't the only one who couldn't get it to work.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Chirishman

Problem Solved!

Ok, so i've gotten it working now by reasoning out how it must work. It based on my results it appears that the Kindle locates you passively. It doesn't send a ping out for your location when you hit the shortcuts, that would cost a fair bit of change and is pretty much restricted to Law Enforcement use. The kindle monitors signal strength from various towers (over a period of time for accuracy) and eventually deduces the location.

The upshot of this is that you have to have had your kindle on with whispernet activated for a little while for it to locate you. I surfed the web for about a half an hour and then tried the location function and it worked. I'm not sure if it relies on the amount of traffic that you generate as well or if it would work if you just left it on in sleep mode for a while. Anyway, this may be the reason why it was never really implemented. Most people would want to just flip it on and locate themselves.
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 03:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirishman View Post
Problem Solved!

Ok, so i've gotten it working now by reasoning out how it must work. It based on my results it appears that the Kindle locates you passively. It doesn't send a ping out for your location when you hit the shortcuts, that would cost a fair bit of change and is pretty much restricted to Law Enforcement use. The kindle monitors signal strength from various towers (over a period of time for accuracy) and eventually deduces the location.
That's precisely the way that "Google Maps" on the iPhone figures out where you are, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote