Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do we read with a smart phone or dedicated ereader?
Smart Phone 25 16.34%
EReader 128 83.66%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Read with a smart phone or dedicated ereader?

What do we all read with?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Surface Pro 4, so neither.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
I use 50% dedicated reader and 50% tablet. I like the tablet and the ability to carry my whole library with me, but it gets hard on my eyes after a while. Love the e-Ink as its easier on the eyes, but get frustrated with it's limited ability to handle a lot of files. I never seem to have the books I want loaded at any particular time.

Favorite tablet is the iPad mini and the program Marvin. Favorite dedicated reader is the Kobo Aura One, and side loading.

I could do use a smart phone in a pinch, but really only use it for audio books.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Neither. I read on a Windows 10 tablet.

Previously, I read on a dedicated ereader (K3) and before that a series of "tablets" (PalmOS & WinCEv2). I've never read on a phone, flip or smart.

Last edited by dwig; 01-16-2017 at 08:20 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
e-reader except for PDF. TABLET for that.
Phone is for reading SMS only b
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I take my Kindle Keyboard with me almost everywhere.

I did read news and books on Palm devices many years ago, including the Z22, which probably has a smaller screen than any currently marketed smart phone.

I will only read a book on my Fire HD if it is a library borrow that isn't available in Kindle format (such as if from the Brooklyn Public Library Cloud Library, formerly 3M).

I notice that paper books aren't among the choices. I do still read them as well

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Dedicated e-reader. Kobo Aura ONE currently, with Kobo Aura HD as backup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
You need more possible answers. I do my long reading sessions on my Kindle at home and my short sessions when I'm elsewhere on my phone. I'm in a retirement home and elsewhere includes our community room so I get a lot of short sessions on the phone.

I'm really not sure which I do more reading on these days. I recently got a phone with an AMOLED screen and it's much easier on my eyes than LCD. With LCD I was limited to about 15 or 20 minutes per session without risking eyestrain. With the AMOLED screen I can manage 30 to 45 minutes. Any longer than that and I'm done for a few hours. On the Kindle I can read as long as I like.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Phone mostly. Now that I have a phone with a 5.5 inch screen, I can read on it all day long. Sometimes I use a tablet. On the very rare occasions I read outdoors, I might use a non-lighted Kindle.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Aura HD, iPhone 6, a couple of different tablets, Windows Laptop.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
99 % of time my reading is done on a dedicated e-ink reader. Always kindles.

I cannot read on a tablet. And I use my phone on the rare occasion I sit in a doctors office and have to wait a bit. I consider my phone another tablet really, smaller one at 5.5, but still a tablet screen I can't read on. Books that is. Fine for a couple of minutes of looking at emails and such.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:59 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
99 % of time my reading is done on a dedicated e-ink reader. Always kindles.

I cannot read on a tablet. And I use my phone on the rare occasion I sit in a doctors office and have to wait a bit. I consider my phone another tablet really, smaller one at 5.5, but still a tablet screen I can't read on. Books that is. Fine for a couple of minutes of looking at emails and such.
Exactly the same here.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #13
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Neither iPad Mini.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #14
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Ebooks on Ereader and PDFs on laptop.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #15
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Lately, I've been doing most of my reading either in the web browser window of my work PC, on my original iPad, on my phone, or on my Sony PRS-T1.

I did not vote in the poll because I could only choose one and neither choice is more than the other.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote