Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hasn't been announced yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Upgrade ran through with little obvious hitch , took about 2 minutes to download itself onto the Cybook .
Nothing obvious noticed , though I get the impression page turns are a mite faster .
No change to the speed at which I can scroll through the library , though .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Nothing obvious noticed , though I get the impression page turns are a mite faster.
That just might be post-update hope!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
That just might be post-update hope!
You just feel that after all the wait , that there ought to be something tangible to experience .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #20
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
After updating my unit I found that a MobiPocket book that would previously crash the Gen3 due to a large cover picture now opens without problem.

However, a pdf file that previously worked (although hard to read due to its size) now crashes the Gen3 after a few page turns.

I am extremely unimpressed with the features in this new release. After the time it took Bookeen to produce such a minor update, it's amazing they managed to release the Gen3 in the first place.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #21
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
You just feel that after all the wait , that there ought to be something tangible to experience .
Yes. Heheh. It's kind of like installing Vista SP1. "It's faster ... I think. Is that faster? Do you think it's faster? It's gotta be faster...? Right?"
Old 05-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
Yes. Heheh. It's kind of like installing Vista SP1. "It's faster ... I think. Is that faster? Do you think it's faster? It's gotta be faster...? Right?"
It's funny, because I read somewhere on an MS devs blog that one of the complaints, slow file copies, that was fixed in Vista SP in no way changed the time it took to actually copy the file... they only changed the UI that expressed the copy was taking place. Although most beta testers said the file copy was now "much faster".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #23
magiske
magiske began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
You've tested 685 and found this to be true? That would be a shame if so. I'm curious myself as to what Mobipocket improvements are still needed.

Derek
Yes, PDF is still very defunc..

/M
magiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm curious myself as to what Mobipocket improvements are still needed.

Derek
There are quite a few features of the Mobi file format which the Gen3 doesn't currently support, such as hyperlinks to other books, for example. It would also be nice to have such features as user-adjustable margin settings and line spacing (both of which the Pocket PC version of the Mobi reader has).
Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are quite a few features of the Mobi file format which the Gen3 doesn't currently support, such as hyperlinks to other books, for example. It would also be nice to have such features as user-adjustable margin settings and line spacing (both of which the Pocket PC version of the Mobi reader has).
Well, there are those of course. And I'd love to have HTML support include the ability to link to other HTML files - we don't have that yet.

Considering the wait, I'm not all that impressed with what we did get. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I get the impression that this is pretty much an interim "bug fix" release to keep people quiet (or quieter, anyway) while they work on adding new stuff. There's some nice stuff - I've really missed the lack of table support in Mobi books; now I'll be able to go back and "improve" some of the books I've previously posted.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #27
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Considering the wait, I'm not all that impressed with what we did get. Is anyone else feeling the same way?
Sort of. If the few minor bugs I have occasionally encountered (bookmarks, lockup w/ dictionary lookup) have been extinguished, I'll be happy enough. Also, it could be a placebo effect, but page turning seems more responsive to the button.

I didn't have great expectations that we would see better library management with this release, and that is really the only biggie for me.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Sort of. If the few minor bugs I have occasionally encountered (bookmarks, lockup w/ dictionary lookup) have been extinguished, I'll be happy enough. Also, it could be a placebo effect, but page turning seems more responsive to the button.

I didn't have great expectations that we would see better library management with this release, and that is really the only biggie for me.
I suspect the improved event handling is the fix that improved the responsiveness to page turns. It may also take care of the other problems you mentioned. Handling interrupt processing can be tricky and take a long time to resolve and get right. Until that works properly the features, IMHO, should take a back seat.

Has anyone tested the clock stuff?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is possible that the page turning if better since the event processing has been improved. So it could be more responsive to events such as button pressing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #30
tcv
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's funny, because I read somewhere on an MS devs blog that one of the complaints, slow file copies, that was fixed in Vista SP in no way changed the time it took to actually copy the file... they only changed the UI that expressed the copy was taking place.
Yes, that's the absolute truth. I read the explanation and understood what was being said, but I can't find the explanation again. As I recall, it had to do with data being queued up to be written faster than the actual copy took place. In XP, the UI was freed-up more quickly than it is/was in Vista because Vista gave a FULL copy time from start-to-end. Now copying will go back to the XP way. Perception is reality.

sorry.