Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
duqiaochai
duqiaochai began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
Question after jailbreak, my pw2 auto updated, can I re-jailbreak?

I bought a pw2, version 5.4.2. I jailbreaked it, and installed koreader.
Then I followed the instructions online, put a file named "DISABLED_OTA" in the root directory.

Today, it updated to 5.4.2.1 automaticlly, and my koreader has gone.
What should I do, if I want to use koreader again? Can I just use the jailbreak file to update directly? Thank you!
duqiaochai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
KOReader isn't "gone". An update doesn't touch user content.

Check the jailbreak FAQ for more details, but you'll basically just have to reinstall whatever you require to actually launch KOReader (meaning MKK if you were using KUAL, or kpvbooklet if you were using that).

On a sidenote, I don't know where you got the "DISABLED_OTA" thing from, but that's a new one to me, so I'm not terribly surprised it didn't do a thing besides clutter your USB root.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
duqiaochai

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
KOReader isn't "gone". An update doesn't touch user content.

Check the jailbreak FAQ for more details, but you'll basically just have to reinstall whatever you require to actually launch KOReader (meaning MKK if you were using KUAL, or kpvbooklet if you were using that).

On a sidenote, I don't know where you got the "DISABLED_OTA" thing from, but that's a new one to me, so I'm not terribly surprised it didn't do a thing besides clutter your USB root.
thank NiLuJe! I reinstalled MKK, but it didn't work
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Define 'doesn't work'? What state is your device in? What do you have in the USB root?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
duqiaochai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Define 'doesn't work'? What state is your device in? What do you have in the USB root?
I used 1.8.N to jailbreak my pw2(5.4), and then install kpvbooklet 0.53, koreader and usbnet.
After it updated to 5.4.1 automaticlly, the koreader is gone. and then I install MKK, but still can't see the koreader.
Advert
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@duqiaochai-
Per NiLuJe's previous post, if you used kpvbooklet before (and not KUAL version) you will need to re-install kpvbooklet to get koreader to work (MKK is for Kual version).
I do not use koreader, so I am simply interpreting the previous posts, but that's how it reads to me. Good luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
duqiaochai

kpvbooklet works! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@duqiaochai-
Per NiLuJe's previous post, if you used kpvbooklet before (and not KUAL version) you will need to re-install kpvbooklet to get koreader to work (MKK is for Kual version).
I do not use koreader, so I am simply interpreting the previous posts, but that's how it reads to me. Good luck!
I thought kpvbooklet and MKK were the same, I was wrong. After re-installing kpvbooklet, koreader works again!
Thank you very much, NiLuJe and Gosharks!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@duqiaochai-
Your welcome! If you want to avoid unwanted, surprise automatic updates messing with your hacks, you might take a look at adding the BackDoorLock hack in the Dev's Corner subforum.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@duqiaochai-
Your welcome! If you want to avoid unwanted, surprise automatic updates messing with your hacks, you might take a look at adding the BackDoorLock hack in the Dev's Corner subforum.
Or this one: Tutorial An easier way to disable auto-updates

Since it works by reserving the location the update would've downloaded to, it is actually jailbreak-independent. Both should work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
duqiaochai

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Since it works by reserving the location the update would've downloaded to, it is actually jailbreak-independent. Both should work.
Thank you all! I will try.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

an update on that -
the firmware series 5.6.x can over-ride that method.

I.E: if running a 5.6.something already, the rename will not prohibit it from updating to 5.6.something_else
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:15 AM   #12
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
I keep my KPW offline most of the time but connect it periodically, and I've been using the folder name method of disabling auto updates. So far, afte 7 months, it hasn't updated.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Readirect: That's because the PW1 hasn't (yet?) been hit by the FW 5.6 disease .