Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Returning items (was Amazon ban zombie thread)

Quote:
First of all, if an electronic device is purchased and is defective, the best solution is to contact the manufacturer, NOT Amazon. They will then replace or repair the product. The only exception would be the Kindle, itself, since Amazon manufactures it.
No, the first port of call should be where you bought it from. It is their responsibility to provide you with a working device. The only time you would go to the manufacturer is if it develops a fault after you bought it and within whatever warranty period you got with it.

So if you bought a dead Kindle from Tesco you would take it back to Tesco, not send it to Amazon.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
No, the first port of call should be where you bought it from. It is their responsibility to provide you with a working device. The only time you would go to the manufacturer is if it develops a fault after you bought it and within whatever warranty period you got with it.

So if you bought a dead Kindle from Tesco you would take it back to Tesco, not send it to Amazon.
Absolutely right. Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, and - whatever they might claim - they have a legal obligation to either repair or replace it, or to offer you a refund.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm assuming that's British law. Here in the States, you generally deal with the store during the return period (14 days, 30 days, 90 days, etc) for defective items. After that, most stores will refuse to deal with it and will direct you to the manufacturer and the terms set forth in the warranty.

Some stores have very generous return policies; but they're the exception to the rule.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm assuming that's British law. Here in the States, you generally deal with the store during the return period (14 days, 30 days, 90 days, etc) for defective items. After that, most stores will refuse to deal with it and will direct you to the manufacturer and the terms set forth in the warranty.
I think it's a general principle of contract law, rather than statute law in any particular country.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I think it's a general principle of contract law, rather than statute law in any particular country.
More than likely, since different stores have different policies.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Some stores have very generous return policies; but they're the exception to the rule.
What always jars me are those products that have the big notice inside: "If you have a problem with the product, contact us directly, NOT THE PLACE YOU BOUGHT IT FROM". What's up with that? ;p
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
What always jars me are those products that have the big notice inside: "If you have a problem with the product, contact us directly, NOT THE PLACE YOU BOUGHT IT FROM". What's up with that? ;p
In my experience these are usually products that consist of many parts and must be assembled by the consumer. The companies would much rather send you missing or damaged parts than get this stuff sent back to them by the retailers.

I have called several of them in the past and had parts shipped to me free of charge and very quickly. They have even gladly replaced parts that I broke myself during assembly at no charge.

You CAN still return those items to the store where you purchased, but it's much easier to just call the number provided. Nothing to be wary of.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
The EU law is that you can return online purchases within 14 days for any reason (with some exceptions, of course). In fact you can return the item even if you simply changed your mind. Many sellers conveniently hide this fact and do not take such returns lightly and may even ban you from further purchases but at least you can buy online from untested sellers without fear of being stuck with expensive but poor quality item.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon will take back any product within a 30 day period of purchase. As a matter of fact in my situation, the only 2 products I did return were my first Kindle 3 for a replacement and the Kindle cover with metal hooks for a refund. Amazon honored both requests without any objection.

I also returned a blue tooth speaker to a 3rd party seller via Amazon and also received a replacement without a problem. I had ordered a $ 500 chair from a 3rd party Amazon seller and changed my mind on it. Amazon helped me resolve the issue with the seller and I received a refund to my credit card with the shipment cancelled.

However, after 30 days the manufacturer usually has a one year warrenty. If the product breaks after one year, I usually dump it and just buy the next generation.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-25-2011 at 09:04 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
fettpett
Enthusiast
fettpett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a feeling that there was more to that story, but I digress...Some companies are good about returns and others arent. I bought a power supply for my desktop a couple years ago and it fried on me after a couple weeks, I called the place that I got it from and they wanted me to pay like $20+ for the shipping...that was more than what I purchased the stupid power supply for. I took the loss and went an got a better one that lasted over a year
fettpett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Amazon has been very good (possibly too good/easy/lenient) with exchanging defective/broken kindles for me. I do hope they don't just one day decide I've made one return too many and pull the plug, but instead give me a warning "sir, as much as we value your business, you're killing us with all these returns. WTF, man?"
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I accidentally bought two Kindle books wirelessly (I'd been attempting to download samples), and returned both to Amazon for a refund. However, both times I failed to press the "Purchased accidentally?" link that allows you to "return" them instantaneously.

The first time I was under the impression I'd downloaded the sample, and only twigged when I was far, far into the book that it was too long to be a sample. (Yes, you'd think I would have noticed the confirmation of purchase page. I think I pressed the Back button so quickly that the Kindle flashed on it only momentarily, so I didn't spot it.)

The second time, there was a bit of delay (maybe my network was slow?) and I thought I was pressing down to select Sample instead of Buy, but managed to press Buy. Then I squawked "Back! back!" and pressed the Back button in the hope that I could reverse before the purchase went through... but of course what happened was that I bought the book AND wasn't able to press the "Purchased accidentally?" link because I reversed back to the main book page too quickly :-P

I immediately contacted Customer Service and asked them to take the book back (in the second case, I did not even open it - which I hope they could see). They were very gracious about the whole thing. I, of course, felt like a complete idiot.

So henceforth I am being very slowwwww and careful, as I really do not want to find myself being banned. (And that's one thing about purchasing via the website and uploading via USB port, rather than via the Kindle itself: it's almost impossible to make that mistake!)
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
I accidentally bought two Kindle books wirelessly (I'd been attempting to download samples), and returned both to Amazon for a refund. However, both times I failed to press the "Purchased accidentally?" link that allows you to "return" them instantaneously.

The first time I was under the impression I'd downloaded the sample, and only twigged when I was far, far into the book that it was too long to be a sample. (Yes, you'd think I would have noticed the confirmation of purchase page. I think I pressed the Back button so quickly that the Kindle flashed on it only momentarily, so I didn't spot it.)

The second time, there was a bit of delay (maybe my network was slow?) and I thought I was pressing down to select Sample instead of Buy, but managed to press Buy. Then I squawked "Back! back!" and pressed the Back button in the hope that I could reverse before the purchase went through... but of course what happened was that I bought the book AND wasn't able to press the "Purchased accidentally?" link because I reversed back to the main book page too quickly :-P

I immediately contacted Customer Service and asked them to take the book back (in the second case, I did not even open it - which I hope they could see). They were very gracious about the whole thing. I, of course, felt like a complete idiot.

So henceforth I am being very slowwwww and careful, as I really do not want to find myself being banned. (And that's one thing about purchasing via the website and uploading via USB port, rather than via the Kindle itself: it's almost impossible to make that mistake!)
Haha! The sample vs buy thing gets me all the time. Thankfully, I usually catch click the Purchased Accidentally button. Only once did I have to contact customer service for an accidental ebook purchase.

I think that one should be able to return a book through the firmware within 3 minutes of purchase. That way, if the book is poorly formatted or different from expectations, the customer can easily return the book without having to take the time to contact customer service. In addition, there should also be a list of options (after clicking the return button) to explain why the book should be returned.

However, it's not a significant problem. Contacting Amazon customer service is relatively painless.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you buy a product from a store and it comes with a problem, go back to the store and get them to swap it out for a working product.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #15
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
That One-Click Buy is a tricky thing. I was browsing books on my Kindle and the next thing I'd bought one. But fortunately I did see the "Purchased Accidentally" link and pressed it immediately. I am now extra careful when browsing ... guess I learned my lesson.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote