Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Factory Refurbished Sony T2 -- $30

TigerDirect lowered the price of the factory refurbished Sony T2 (with 1 year warranty) to $29.97 (plus shipping and tax). If all of them are like the one I bought (at $50 a couple months ago) then they're like new. They come complete with paperwork and warranty sheet. Mine came in a retail box with the green "Refurbished" tag.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847

EDIT: The Kobo Store is now working on Sony T1s, T2s and T3s -- at least I'm guessing it works on the T2 and T3 (I don't have the models). It definitely now works on my T2. Just tested it tonight.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2014 at 09:33 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ordered one. How could I resist that price?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Does TigerDirect offer international shipping? or is it US only?
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasyi View Post
Does TigerDirect offer international shipping? or is it US only?
They have a number to call for international shipping, but I'm guessing there would be licensing restrictions for this product. Here's a link to their ordering information.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/h...tional.asp?#i1
Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine arrived today, and I love it! I like the look and feel of it much better than that of the T1, which I had previously.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I ordered one with this deal too. Couldn't resist at that price! It's being held at the PO, though, until I get back from DC. Glad to see you like it!
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The only thing was, the battery was completely run down. Thought I had a DOA until I plugged it into my PC. That woke it up.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Mine arrived today, and I love it! I like the look and feel of it much better than that of the T1, which I had previously.
That's good to know! I ordered one too, but I've fallen out of using my T1 and mostly have been reading on my phone for the past year.
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Mine too. I'm guessing they've been sitting on the shelves for quite a while. Probably the reason these are on clearance for so little (even though TigerDirect has other T2s on clearance for about $70) is because these have an outdated coupon for a free "Harry Potter" book at "Pottermore." I've even seen a couple places where this was called the "Pottermore Edition." The coupon expired on 7-31-13. Again, as posted previously, not a big deal for me, as I wouldn't have used it anyhow.

BTW, I'm glad yours arrived without issue. I think they really are nice eReaders. I like the lighter font better in brighter light and the Kindle's (or Nook's) darker fonts better in dimmer lighting.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
These things are still available.

Either they are not selling at this price, or they have a humongous supply available.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
These things are still available.

Either they are not selling at this price, or they have a humongous supply available.
Tiger Direct is kind of an oddball outfit. Their search engine doesn't work worth a darn. When you search for eReader (for example) the first two "hits" are the Sony PRS-T2, but two different SKUs (one for $79.97, one for $79.99) than the $29.97 one (with yet another SKU) -- which is way on the bottom of the page. So, I'm guessing, they just aren't selling that well. I was surprised they didn't sell out at $49.97. I ordered a 2nd one (at $29.97) -- figuring I could find someone in my family to give it to, or sell it -- and it came from a different store than the first one. The first one came from McAllen, TX -- the second from Hoffman Heights, IL. So, I think when you make an order, they just find a store that has them in stock and then send them from there.

At any rate, if anyone is still looking for one, I probably wouldn't wait around too much longer. The first SKU version (the only one that allows you to check "store availability") only shows three stores with them still in stock -- and one of those was the one I got my second one from. When I first checked these, there were probably fifteen or twenty stores that had them.

EDIT: Actually I was wrong about the "send from" location of the 2nd T2. It came from Hodgkins, IL, which may (or may not) be a warehouse.

You can also find the same products under www.globalcomputer.com -- and www.circuitcity.com redirects to Tiger Direct. At one time www.compusa.com also redirected to Tiger Direct. But now it looks like they've dropped that name. Tiger Direct's parent company bought up these names when the store chains went under.

At any rate, it might be worth checking www.globalcomputer.com for those who can't order from Tiger Direct. Unless the name "Global" means nothing (which is probably the case).

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

stormcloude: I really do like the T2 better than the T1 in so many ways. I can't imagine reading on my phone for so long, even on my new 4" screen.

rcentros: I especially like it now that I've figured out what font and size to embed before I send it to the device. I was converting to 14pt font size but lines were disappearing. 12pt seems to work great.

everyone: I agree with rcentros! They have been this price for about a week now, it could end at any time. If you have ever considered a Sony, you will not find one this cheaply again!

Dr Drib: We are a small minority here on MR. Nobody wants these kinds of readers any more. Everyone wants tablets and/or phones, even for reading. Those that want eink want the lighted ones. So no, there is no market for the T2, thus the incredibly low price.

Of course I didn't need one, but for that price, I had to have it. And I do like it. Light weight and the firmware is very robust.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
EDIT: The Kobo Store is now working on Sony T1s, T2s and T3s -- at least I'm guessing it works on the T2 and T3 (I don't have the models). It definitely now works on my T2. Just tested it tonight.
Are these refurbs being shipped with the store change firmware update already installed, or would a buyer need to do it after the purchase?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Are these refurbs being shipped with the store change firmware update already installed, or would a buyer need to do it after the purchase?
No, you have to update them. I'm guessing they've been sitting on the shelves for at least a year now -- long before the closing of the Reader Store. The update is available directly from Sony's Support page. I also registered my first T2, the only one I'll personally keep, directly with Sony on their website. So they're still supported by Sony (whatever that support amounts to, I don't know -- and, hopefully, I won't have to find out). They do come with a year warranty.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Mine had old firmware on it. I connected to wifi and without even having to register anywhere, was able to download the latest firmware and install it. Another thing I love about Sony, you can use it without ever registering it. Now I have the Kobo store logo, and of course if I want to use it I would have to register it with Kobo.