Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
whenster
whenster began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 FBReader
Help installing on Ubuntu 12.04

Can anyone help to identify problem I'm having installing 0.7.1 on Ubuntu 12.04.

I followed the instructions from the wiki https://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/RunningFromSource using rquired version of cmake built from source.

When I run the script to execute sigil I get this error.
Quote:
line 1: 2798 Illegal instruction (core dumped) D_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.2/5.0.2/gcc/lib /usr/local/bin/sigil
Installed cmake-2.8.10.2 (built from source) to usr/local, Qt5.0.2 installed to /opt, and sigil 0.7.1 installed to default /usr/local.

Had previously tried to install sigil to /opt and had a similar problem see #20 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=206328&page=2

I cannot work what is causing the problem or how to fix it.

Last edited by whenster; 04-16-2013 at 04:22 PM.
whenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Try removing all files related to sigil and downloading 0.7.2 and compiling again using the latest examples from the RunningFromSource page. It works ok for me on 12.04 64 bit so should also work for 32 bit.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
whenster

Glad to hear you're able to install on a 64 bit 12.04.

I'm having no luck with my 32 bit 12.04. I don't know where to start to solve the problem.

I installed as the example in the wiki other than I used checkinstall rather than make install. Would this cause the problem?

Checkinstall reported the installation of both cmake and sigil to be successful. Qt5 was run offline.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can you launch the Sigil binary directly (from the build directory)?

It should work with checkinstall, but I believe it strips binaries and libraries. Probably wouldn't hurt to try it without--it's not hard to delete all the files that get installed with Sigil manually, so the benefits of using checkinstall aren't really huge to begin with.

There's the binary of course (/usr/local/bin), and the sigil folder (/usr/local/share/sigil), but besides that, there's nothing but the pixmap (/usr/local/share/pixmaps) and the .desktop file (/usr/local/share/applications) to contend with.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
whenster

Sigil will not launch from the build directory either.

In order to test whether my system is broken, Ive done a clean install of 12.04 in another partition, and installed again using both checkinstall and make install. The result is the same. Sigil will not run. I get the error shown in post 1 when I run the script.

The installation of cmake, Qt5 and Sigil are successful, but Sigil will not launch.

Has anyone successfully installed Sigil onto a 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 and if so what version of Sigil?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
I had a similar error (illegal instruction) when I first tried to run from sources on my Kubuntu computer. The problem turned out to be my CPU, which didn't support the SSE2 floating point instruction set. I got a 64-bit AMD chip and motherboard, built a 64-bit Kubuntu system on it, and *then* compiled something like Sigil 0.4.2. It worked OK then. I'm currently running Sigil 0.6.0 on Kubuntu 12.04 (64-bit), waiting for an official release of Qt5 to appear on the repositories before I upgrade Sigil to 0.7.x.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenster View Post
Has anyone successfully installed Sigil onto a 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 and if so what version of Sigil?
Yes. Sigil version 0.7.2.

Stock install of 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04. I built cmake v2.8.10 using the bootstrap method and installed it using checkinstall.

I then followed the instructions (https://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/RunningFromSource) pretty much verbatim... with the exception that instead of building/installing in one step, I did it in two:
Code:
make
then:
Code:
sudo checkinstall --pkgname=sigil-0.7.2 --pkgversion="$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)" --backup=no --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default
Everything works as expected.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
whenster

Not sure where to go to solve this one.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can find what is causing the problem launching Sigil?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenster View Post
Yes, all versions up to 0.7.2.
I do my installation locally: Qt5 is in $HOME/installs/qt5.02, Sigil source in $HOME/gits/sigil, Sigil binary in $HOME/bin.

I compile Sigil with script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release $HOME/gits/sigil -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=$HOME/installs/qt5.02/5.0.2/gcc/lib/cmake
make 
make install
I invoke Sigil with script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/installs/qt5.02/5.0.2/gcc/lib/":${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$HOME/bin/sigil  "${1}"
Runs fine.

Last edited by varlog; 04-21-2013 at 03:32 PM.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Whenster:
Just wondering what CPU your PC has?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Whenster: Could you also try
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
and paster the info from it here?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
whenster

All the versions I've tried install OK, but just will not launch.

0.4.2 installed to home directory, but will not run. I get a segmentation fault with that one.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo gives:
Quote:
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2087.500
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 4184.36
clflush size : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Are you sure you haven't (manually) relocated your Qt5 installation after building Sigil? Even with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var updated to the new Qt5 location, I've seen segfaults under those conditions. It seems the path to the Qt5 platform plugins is hard coded in the various libraries (never mind that the platform plugin doesn't show up as a dependency when using ldd). You could try adding the line
Code:
export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
to your launch script (before the call to launch Sigil) to see if you get some more useful output to work with.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-21-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I've not figured out how to tell what compiler options are in use but does the lack of sse2 support make a difference? I seem to remember seeing a post somewhere that described someone having similar problems and the re,edy was to change the compilation flags to ensure that sse2 operands were not used.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
whenster

Seems most likely that the lack of sse2 support for the CPU is the cause of the problem (as per signum and PeterT).

I searched for earlier threads and found these:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124267

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177979

In particular posts 10 & 11 of the 2nd link. Not sure if a workaround is possible. May have to upgrade my computer if I want to run Sigil.

It would have been helpful if this issue was mentioned in the installation instructions of the Sigil wiki.

BTW. Bought the computer in 12/2003.

Last edited by whenster; 04-21-2013 at 11:59 AM.