Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Do I need to registration and supply Credit-card Details?

I am considering buying either the Nook ST or the Glowlight version. I plan to use the device as an e-ink tablet.

1) If I avoid registration via the factory button at startup, does this mean wifi will always be on and therefore be a drain on the battery. Can I get round this? How bad is battery usage if I can't deactivate wireless.

2) If I register the device, do I have to supply credit-card details? Is there no way round this?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
2) If I register the device, do I have to supply credit-card details? Is there no way round this?
Make a new gmail address.
Register the device using this.
No credit card necessary.

When I was rooting my device the device had to be registered.

Just go to their site before purchase and register there, so you make sure that you can register without CC. Then you simply link the device to the existing account.

When I purchased NST, I was EXTREMELY annoyed when I found out that they hold your device hostage in order to force you to register. But ... my NST was an impulse purchase during Black Friday sale last year at Target ($50), I didn't do any research before purchase.

By the way, NST makes poor tablet.
The memory available for your programs is very limited - 300MB, the Android version is quite old - 2.1. Look it up.
It has no menu, back or home physical buttons, so you need an on-screen button that activated menu with those.

Last edited by kacir; 04-21-2013 at 08:38 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the very useful information. Yes, 2.1 is a bit older than I'd like. But I don't see any alternatives. I have a Sony T1, but I've arranged to sell it to fund the NST because the NST seems a much better bet for overall for rooting and running as a tablet. What's more, I have doubts Nook are going to release another e-reader, plus Sony are locking down their devices to make each generation more difficult to root. The NST might be as good as it gets. I might also go for the lighted version, though I've doubts about the potential problems with the lighting.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a Sony T1, but I've arranged to sell it to fund the NST because the NST seems a much better bet for overall for rooting and running as a tablet.
I am not sure NST makes a better device for rooting. T1 and T2 have at least physical buttons.
You just have to make sure to get T2 with the older firmware, because from what I have heard Sony has patched the newest versions of firmware.

If you want a tablet, you can buy a killer tablet from AliExpress for under $100. With capacitive multitouch, bluetooth, USB guest *AND* USB host, GPS chip, large memory, allwinner CPU, Android 4.0 or better, you do not need to root it, you so not need to muck with it. It "Just Works" (TM) out of box.
With NST you are boing to piss against the wind constantly.
The only advantage of Android on NST is that you can install Coolreader and FBReader and perhaps a few more reading apps. The overall experience is still not as good as on PocketBook e-ink reader. I have both of those, plus Paperwhite. I have borrowed Sony T2 for testing recently, so I know what I an talking about.
For reading I would suggest a dedicated e-ink device, for "tablet" use a decent dedicated device as well.

Disclaimer/Alibi:
Your Mileage Might Vary ;-)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
As has already been said, no need for credit card details. They donät even check the e-mail. You just have to give an e-mail (fake or real) and password.

The NST won't be much of a tablet, to be honest, but that's of course up to you! But, FWIW, the cheap "China tablets" aren't much to write home about either, IMHO. I've got one. It works well as a tablet, sure, but battery life sucks big time, and that's pretty standard for the AliExpress Chine tablets. If you don't need bluetooth, camera and GPS a rooted Nook Tablet is great tablet, onece again IMHO.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired

I believe you. I don't actually want a tablet. My situation is I have a T1 sitting around that I don't use (I prefer my 650), and I thought I'd sell it and pick up a Nook which I'd could use as a note-taker and general fun device as well as an e-reader. I was going for the rooted Nook over the T1 because I've read about a lot of bricked T1s, while the Nook seems almost unbrickable. I see your point about the buttons, but the Nook would have screen buttons. From what I've read, it seems that the Nook can just run a lot more than the Sony. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I really want a rooted glowlight, but I've read about too many problems with the screens to risk it.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
I don't actually want a tablet. My situation is I have a T1 sitting around that I don't use (I prefer my 650), and I thought I'd sell it and pick up a Nook which I'd could use as a note-taker and general fun device as well as an e-reader.
while the Nook seems almost unbrickable. I see your point about the buttons, but the Nook would have screen buttons. From what I've read, it seems that the Nook can just run a lot more than the Sony. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I was in the same situation.
I DO have PocketBook 360° that is going to fail any moment now (the screen controller seems to be failing slowly) and a Kindle PaperWhite that I am going to sell the moment new PocketBook Touch Lux hits the market and the first positive reviews appear. I do not need another ebook reader.

So I have purchased a heavily discounted NST so I would have a cheap interesting Android device to play with. At the same time my friend purchased a cheap 7" tablet from some Chinese supplier for a very similar price. My NST sits gathering dust, while his little tables is getting regular workout. We were visiting USA together on business.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired

Hmm. Fair point. I think maybe I'll shift the T1 and wait to see what comes out this year. If the Glowlight screen was rock-solid, I would have got it. As it is, I'm going to wait and see. Thanks for the info.