Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Kob Firmware 2.3.2

Seeing how 2.3.2 has just been released, I've started a thread to discuss it. The direct links are in the Direct Links thread.

It also looks like Kobo has released new dictionaries, which will sync before 2.3.2 does (if you can't get 2.3.2 to automatically be updated).

Last edited by murg; 12-22-2012 at 09:04 AM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Anyone try this yet?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Interesting to see 2.3.2 released so quickly. I -really- hope it fixes some of the more egregious bugs in 2.3.1. Any patch notes?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
2.3.2 seems to be only for Japan at the moment, which does not mean this will also be an official update for the UK and elsewhere.

As others have asked, what do the release notes say, anyone? If it includes fixes for the bookmark isues and some fonts not being italicised properly, then it might be worth updating manually. I think we all would like some more info first.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
2.3.2 seems to be only for Japan at the moment, which does not mean this will also be an official update for the UK and elsewhere.

As others have asked, what do the release notes say, anyone? If it includes fixes for the bookmark isues and some fonts not being italicised properly, then it might be worth updating manually. I think we all would like some more info first.
no release notes
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Not a great experience with it.
I have a kobo Glo bought in Australia.
I installed 2.3.2 and it took a couple of restarts to pick it up.Even then it couldn't see any of the books on my sdcard.

So I wouldn't recommend trying it out unless you have a Japanese kobo.

The release notes btw are the same as 2.3.0

I was previously on 2.3.1 when I applied the 2.3.2 update.

Now I'm doing a factory reset and it's downloading an update..

I couldn't read my microsd card after all that, (even after the factory reset and update
)The microsd card got corrupted and the Glo reported it wasn't fat 32 anymore.

THEN I loaded the microsd card up in windows and it saw it.
I copied everything off the card and formatted it then loaded all the ebooks back on.
I didn't copy some folders called footprint, calibre and so on, only the folders and files I knew were ebooks.

Now everything is working as normal again.

Good fun! lol
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
hubertphava
Connoisseur
hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, Onyx-Boox Poke5
I've had the problem of no-books in sdcard with the upgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.3.1. Erased all the books from computer( but *not* formatted the card) and re-sideloaded them with the card inserted in the glow, now i'ts all fine. Fine but annoying.

@danskmacabre: does new firmware still has the bold-ification of italic fonts?
I've had this problem after upgrade with all fonts, system and sideloaded fonts. Now, after a factory-reset and a manual upgrade (i'm still on 2.3.1) i've found that sideloade and embedded ( in epubs) fonts are fine bat still system fonts ( i've played with 3 of them) have the bug. Did the upgrade to .2 resolve this bug?

HP

Edit: corrected above wrong firmware version from 2.1.5 to 2.2.1

Last edited by hubertphava; 12-22-2012 at 04:29 PM.
hubertphava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just for the heck of it and being the weekend and being the end of the year, not that much is happening, I upgraded to 2.3.2 without doing my usual wipe back to factory, remove the SD card, upgrade.

Yarrghhh... The first book I opened came up in flyspeck font size but the page numbers on the side were in the normal font size. Hmmm... looks very familiar.

Okay, remove SD card, wipe to factory, setup using desktop, copy over 2.3.2 upgrade files, fonts and Adobe folder. First book looked okay. Read about 4 chapters, used power switch to put into sleep mode. Oh-oh. Sleep mode displays a blank white screen. Needed to hold power button for about 15 seconds to force power off and then hold it for a couple of seconds to power on. Came back up looking okay and now goes to sleep normally. Using a magnet to simulate a sleep cover had the KG going into sleep mode with the magnet near the lower right corner of the screen and waking up when it was removed.

Time for font testing. Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel still show bold where italic should be. OTOH, the copy of Gill Sans from an earlier firmware edition with the font name changed to Gill Sans2 to differentiate shows italic. Open Dyslexic still looks like crap.

<<Removed comment about characters going missing in Charis SIL. The regular font file as copied to the KG showed a different MD5 checksum from the one on my computer. Recopied, power cycled the Glo and font looks okay now.>>

So far about 10 chapters read and no flyspeck font size. Otherwise, not much reason to switch.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-22-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Removed error
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Open Dyslexic still looks like crap.
I think it's supposed to...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I think it's supposed to...
What I can't understand is why anyone would include it in the limited number of factory fonts. It's like those odd fonts that make up most of the free font packages. The fonts no one in the possession of a moiety of their senses would use for more than a couple of words. Filler, at best. A decent monospaced font would have been a better choice. Courier Dark is my current choice for a monospaced font since it looks good on a eInk display but a factory version with the advanced settings would be nice.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-23-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Typos, endless typos... where's my blue pencil???
Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I put 2.3.2 on my Touch. The two changes I have found so far:

- Series info is in a different font and grey rather than black.

- When using the navigation bar, in an ePub, the pop-up has the chapter title in it! This was removed in 2.0.0. The bug with keeping track of the TOC is still there, so when you first open the navigation bar, it is probably the wrong chapter. But, it updates correctly as you step through the chapters.

- After adding an annotation, the annotation/dictionary menu is closed.

- The aspect ratio of cover images are not changed when resized for display. This doesn't change how cover images are generated, but if an image is not 3:4 ratio, it will not be distorted when displayed. At the moment, this will only be noticeable for books synced from Kobo.

I can't tell if any of the bugs from 2.3.1 have been fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I put 2.3.2 on my Touch. The two changes I have found so far:

- Series info is in a different font and grey rather than black.

- When using the navigation bar, in an ePub, the pop-up has the chapter title in it! This was removed in 2.0.0. The bug with keeping track of the TOC is still there, so when you first open the navigation bar, it is probably the wrong chapter. But, it updates correctly as you step through the chapters.
I'm using 2.3.2 on a Glo so some items may not be the same.

The navigation bar does correct the chapter number as you use the >> or << to step forward or back. Problems is, so far, the first time I use it, it opens on the first TOC entry and steps forward from there. Say I am on Chapter 8 in a book with a Prologue. The navigation bar opens on page 232 of 607 but shows Prologue as the chapter. Hit the >> and changes to Chapter 1. After that first time, it opens on the current chapter and steps from there.

If I move the slider by touching it or using the single arrows, the chapter number doesn't change. So from Chapter 8, page 232 of 607, I am now on Chapter 8, page 555 of 607. On the bright side, I am getting much better at rolling my finger on the display to move in smaller increments and the return button is getting over used.

So far the flyspeck font size bug hasn't resurfaced since I did the factory reset/update. Keeping my toes crossed.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-23-2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Added flyspeck font sentence
Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm using 2.3.2 on a Glo so some items may not be the same.
For this sort of thing, it will be the same.
Quote:
The navigation bar does correct the chapter number as you use the >> or << to step forward or back. Problems is, so far, the first time I use it, it opens on the first TOC entry and steps forward from there. Say I am on Chapter 8 in a book with a Prologue. The navigation bar opens on page 232 of 607 but shows Prologue as the chapter. Hit the >> and changes to Chapter 1. After that first time, it opens on the current chapter and steps from there.
That is what I meant by the "TOC tracking bug". If open a book and read it through several chapters, the current chapter is not updated. If you open the TOC, it thinks you are on the first chapter. The navigation bar starts with the same chapter.
Quote:
If I move the slider by touching it or using the single arrows, the chapter number doesn't change. So from Chapter 8, page 232 of 607, I am now on Chapter 8, page 555 of 607. On the bright side, I am getting much better at rolling my finger on the display to move in smaller increments and the return button is getting over used.
I hadn't noticed that before. But, it fits with the not tacking the chapter problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #14
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
OpenDyslexic is not a "wacky" novelty font. It actually helps people with the learning disability dyslexia read better. If you don't have dyslexia, you are not the target audience, although some people without dyslexia do enjoy it.

For more info: http://dyslexicfonts.com/
rwhe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
OpenDyslexic is not a "wacky" novelty font. It actually helps people with the learning disability dyslexia read better. If you don't have dyslexia, you are not the target audience, although some people without dyslexia do enjoy it.

For more info: http://dyslexicfonts.com/
As part of my work, I do computer support for quite a few special needs children. We have used OpenDyslexic as a font choice working with dyslexic teens though the results have been mixed. One of the SEAs (special education assistants) I deal with has been a big fan of the Eulexia font for the last while.

The problem I have with Kobo's implementation and which makes me regard it as a short step from useless is that it has not been modified sufficiently to improve it's appearance on an eInk screen. Comparing a book opened in ADE with either OpenDyslexic or Eulexia to the same book opened on a Kobo Glo, the difference is very noticeable. Until those improvements have been done, it is just another novelty font in my not so humble opinion.

I did play with the Eulexia font in it's TTF version doing some darkening and tweaking and it looks better on the Kobo's screen. Still not very usable but did have the advantage it was usable on a Touch.

Regards,
David