Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool eliminate the usb cable and connect wirelessly as a network drive

is there any way to eliminate the usb cable and connect wirelessly as a network drive that can be assigned a drive letter on an individual pc on the local network?

Last edited by alansplace; 09-21-2011 at 07:26 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
is there any way to eliminate the usb cable and connect wirelessly as a network drive that can be assigned a drive letter on an individual pc on the local network?
Not that I'm aware of, Alan. BUT, that being said, you could certainly run Calibre and connect over HTTP to grab books. No cable required. And there are Cloud solutions (such as dropbox) that work as well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not that I'm aware of, Alan. BUT, that being said, you could certainly run Calibre and connect over HTTP to grab books. No cable required. And there are Cloud solutions (such as dropbox) that work as well.
yeah, i know. but for the reply.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
yeah, i know. but for the reply.
you can use ssh : http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&s...etter+windows+
(to use adhoc (peer to peer) network you may need: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128247
and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128845 )

alternatively:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129157
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre can run a wireless server, to download books.

You can also store your Calibre library via dropbox, like I do.

If you do ssh, don't you have to hack the kindle?

Last edited by markdek; 09-21-2011 at 04:26 PM.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well there are wireless USB extenders, which should achieve the same effect.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool oops!

i'm sorry for not being clear in post #1, but my question was meant to ask this:

is there a method one can use to have the kindle appear in the windows network window (much the same as a usb connected kindle appears in the [my] computer window) as a device that you can use as an external/network drive. in my humble opinion amazon sure missed the boat on that when introducing the wireless 3rd gen kindle.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's somewhat doable with the usbnetwork hack, via ssh (or another protocol) over WiFi, (I'd use sshfs on Linux, for example), but it might not be for the faint of heart, and I have no idea how to implement that on non-Linux systems.

On the 'another protocol' front, I guess one could go the overkill way and try to setup a samba server on the Kindle... or Bonjour or whatever the hell Apple uses nowadays.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's somewhat doable with the usbnetwork hack, via ssh (or another protocol) over WiFi, (I'd use sshfs on Linux, for example), but it might not be for the faint of heart, and I have no idea how to implement that on non-Linux systems.

On the 'another protocol' front, I guess one could go the overkill way and try to setup a samba server on the Kindle... or Bonjour or whatever the hell Apple uses nowadays.
let me reword my question (again!!!)

without additional hacks or jumping through hoops, is there a simple procedure one can use to have the kindle appear in the windows network window (much the same as a usb connected kindle appears in the [my] computer window) as a device that you can use as an external/network drive.

in my humble opinion amazon sure missed the boat on this when creating/designing/introducing the wireless 3rd gen kindle.

i guess i'll just have to assume that the answer is no.

"...and so it goes..."
Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
let me reword my question (again!!!)

i guess i'll just have to assume that the answer is no.
If there was an easy way to do it right out of the box, do you think everybody'd be wasting their time explaining these workarounds and hacks to achieve a similar solution?

Of course there's no way to do without hacking.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool gee wiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If there was an easy way to do it right out of the box, do you think everybody'd be wasting their time explaining these workarounds and hacks to achieve a similar solution?

Of course there's no way to do without hacking.
well gosh, i didn't know (as well as wouldn't know) till i asked. did you want me to just assume? it's pretty stupid to assume.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-21-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've wondered this sometimes myself. But, having looked it up, it's usually more trouble than it's worth to only obviate the use of the USB cord.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I've wondered this sometimes myself. But, having looked it up, it's usually more trouble than it's worth to only obviate the use of the USB cord.
Worth it for me, since I already have it set up ^_^
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu
Worth it for me, since I already have it set up ^_^
You have your Kindle showing up as a lettered drive on your PC (wirelessly) using no hacks? Do tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace
well gosh, i didn't know (as well as wouldn't know) till i asked. did you want me to just assume? it's pretty stupid to assume.
Sorry, Alan. My post came across much snarkier than I intended it... and for that, I apologize.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-23-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: attributing quotations
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool no problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You have your Kindle showing up as a lettered drive on your PC (wirelessly) using no hacks? Do tell.

Sorry, Alan. My post came across much snarkier than I intended it... and for that, I apologize.
forgotten