Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #226
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
I am posting here again fot those, who is monitoring my new posts but not rereading my old updated posts

Here is my new promised video. On the video I'am comparing the 9,7" devices from Onyx and PocketBook.

Unfortunatelly I've had to split the whole video in two parts.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvxXD4NUlc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnPo29WQaU
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #227
brombus
Enthusiast
brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
As expected the M90 has better contrast and picture quality than the PB 903. The only problem is its firmware that still needs a lot of improvements.
brombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #228
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh the M90 is so much slower with PDFs, I was not expecting that at all. I dont think I can motivate a purchase of it now. I like the design and the screen of the Onyx but it is too slow I wonder how much faster the M91S is
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #229
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Unfortunately I haven't got an M90 in my hands yet (only the M91S)
I don't know what happend to your device but my M91S is 10 times faster. I can open a 30MB PDF in 2 seconds and page turns take less then a second.

Last edited by Onyx Europe; 06-20-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #230
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Thanks for this video!

Hmm, this thing is SLOW. I don't like the constant red light below the (not working) IR button, that's an unnecessary energy waste. Also I belive that I've seen, that the m90 does not fully support the formatting in epub files, it looks actually better on the 903, who would have thought that?.

Hm, hm. On the other hand, a 'killer' feature for me would be the zooming abilities, unfortunately there was not much to see about that in this vid (but that's ok). Battery-life would be interesting too. I do not know the company Onyx too well, have they provided updates of their FW before? Can you 'trust' them on improving their SW?

Also I was suprised, how dark images on the M90 appear, it sure has a better contrast, but it seems that image's details might suffer from it.
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #231
pietro
Enthusiast
pietro began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1, kobo auraHD
Mmmh, this would make me think of getting a pocketbook instead but looks like we will need to wait an see another month to find out how reliable these comparisons are. Only, I would feel more confident if Onyx posted their own comparison. I'd rather know if there are conflicts of interests in those who post these movies...

I wish a known company, like Amazon or Apple or Sony, would produce a large reader good at pdf so we wouldn't have to try guessing from semi-clandestine youtube movies and companies we never heard of...I bought my daughter a sony 650 and works so nicely...probably should get one of those to read books and an ipad for pdfs.
pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #232
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OphReader View Post
Thanks for this video!

Hmm, this thing is SLOW. I don't like the constant red light below the (not working) IR button, that's an unnecessary energy waste.
That's really weird. The light below the IR sensor (which works perfectly on the M91S) is an indicator that the device is loading.
So Booxter, your device is constantly loading!!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #233
brombus
Enthusiast
brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
I don't like the constant red light below the (not working) IR button, that's an unnecessary energy waste.
I agree.This switched-on diode will surely affect the power consumption.

Quote:
I do not know the company Onyx too well, have they provided updates of their FW before? Can you 'trust' them on improving their SW?
The company Onyx has been very well known for its firmware updates. In cases of their previous models they provided dozens of updates for their ereaders.

Onyx Europe, maybe you could make a video of the M91S for a comparison with the M90?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #234
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
Unfortunately I haven't got an M90 in my hands yet (only the M91S)
I don't know what happend to your device but my M91S is 10 times faster. I can open a 30MB PDF in 2 seconds and page turns take less then a second.
The processor in M91 is more powerful (800 MHZ M91S vs 532 MHZ M90), but i ignore if this is the reason... it could be possible that M90 isn't yet ready for this lack of performance.

I hope that at Onyx they are working to a new firmware in order to increase performances of M90.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #235
brombus
Enthusiast

Quote:
That's really weird. The light below the IR sensor (which works perfectly on the M91S) is an indicator that the device is loading.
Onyx Europe, you are right. Look at this video, there is no light and it is only activated if you do something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6TRRaw0A-4

Booxtor, something's wrong with your M90 or you should deactivate the loading option.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #236
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brombus View Post
Onyx Europe, maybe you could make a video of the M91S for a comparison with the M90?
I'm already preparing a comparison between the M91S and the PB 902.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #237
Nards Barley
Nards Barley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Touch
Onyx Boox

While I am still reserving judgement on the Onxy, I was thinking this weekend that what I would like for reading pdfs is a device like my recently rooted Nook Simple Touch, but with a 10" display: I could install the terrific EZ-PDF app onto it and I would be all set.

Hopefully some manufacturer will tear apart the Nook Touch, figure out how to copy the hardware, load a basic Android 2.1 OS onto it, and bring it to market.
They wouldn't need to mess with audio, video, or custom apps.
Nards Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #238
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by brombus View Post
As expected the M90 has better contrast and picture quality than the PB 903. The only problem is its firmware that still needs a lot of improvements.
Firmware can be improved over time, contrast and picture quality not so much.

I am curious, what about a place to store the styluys? It has been reported there is none in the chasis of the M60? I hope there is one in the cover coming with it...
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #239
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
The light is on because I had to charge the battery while recording the video. The battery was suddenly empty . This is another issue of M90. Sometimes it loses complete charge just one day after it was fully recharged..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #240
harikamboji
harikamboji began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
Regarding PDFs:

I have a boox A60 (6 inch reader), but I assume the firmware is similar. I've been using it for over a year. For 99% of pdfs, the page turns instantaneously. I only read one pdf on my boox where it took several seconds like in the video. It was a 12MB pdf of a scan from google books. If you have a natively generated pdf (rather than a pdf of a scan) even with images etc, you won't have that bad delay.

When he rotates the boox in the video, it doesn't fill the screen. That is because he is in single page mode rather than "scroll pages" mode. I always use the latter mode when viewing pdfs and it fills the width of the screen.

The boox's ability to customize your zoom by selecting an area with the pen is really nice.

Last edited by harikamboji; 06-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.
harikamboji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90