Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Calibre mysterious crashing on launch - cannot run

Not sure what else to say, except that clean reinstall does not solve the problem, but does appear to permit the launch to last long enough to establish the desired location of the calibre library and showing the contents of the library prior to the first crash of that installation. All subsequent crashes happen after the calibre logo splash page appears and (sometimes) after the split-second appearance of the app window/library.

Anyone have any ideas, either on what's the solution, or what you need me to supply in additional information to help diagnose and resolve the issue?
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Not sure what else to say, except that clean reinstall does not solve the problem, but does appear to permit the launch to last long enough to establish the desired location of the calibre library and showing the contents of the library prior to the first crash of that installation. All subsequent crashes happen after the calibre logo splash page appears and (sometimes) after the split-second appearance of the app window/library.

Anyone have any ideas, either on what's the solution, or what you need me to supply in additional information to help diagnose and resolve the issue?
I'm not the one to solve this, but those that might have an idea need more information. Consider supplying the following information to start.

What's your Operating System
What version of calibre are you running?
Did this happen just after the last upgrade?
If so, what version did you upgrade from?
If not, what software or upgrades have you recently installed?
Did you notice any other errors on your system?

Add any other info that comes to mind.

I wish you luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-12-2010 at 05:09 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
qwerty57
qwerty57 began at the beginning.

Device: i-mobile i858
I've got the same problem. I installed Calibre this morning and am unable to get it to boot! I get as far as the screen that asks me where I want to put my library and then it crashes.

My OS is Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope.

Any suggestions?
qwerty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am running an Apple Mac Mini with Snow Leopard version 10.6.4 and upgraded to the latest version of calibre (0.7.18) when it came out with no fuss or errors beyond an ongoing issue with the library which I have not been able to resolve but did not keep me from 99% of the functionality of the program. I have been using Calibre now long enough that I have upgraded it faithfully upon release several times, in order of those upgrades' releases.

I have not made any significant (that I can think of) other changes to my operating system or application setup recently that I can recall.

The only thing I can think of that could remotely have affected something with my calibre installation is that a few days ago I imported a few new books (free public domain downloadable pdf files of the Holy Bible) into Calibre. At the time, calibre was functioning normally, I was able to start the content server, change/download metadata, insert covers for versions, began converting the pdfs to epub (which stanza, which I use on my iphone 3gs, prefers over pdf). Although the conversion process was laboriously slow in a way that I did not expect, eventually the conversion jobs were done and I was successful at transferring the files over wifi into Stanza for iphone.

That was my last experience with Calibre prior to the mysterious failures/crashes, and was all done after the latest upgrade so I do not believe the upgrade itself is the culprit though I could be wrong....

I do not have assistive devices enabled in my universal access, I did not find the mentioned result in my Console.app output so do not believe corrupt fonts are the problem. I do not use Voice Over.

M-
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Merischino
Groupie

Well I have good news and weird news... the good news is, calibre is now not crashing. the weird news is, I didn't change or do anything to make that happen. So, it would appear that it fixed itself? Sorry Qwerty57 I wish I knew why so I could suggest a fix for you.

M-
Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
qwerty57

I'll try starting up again when I get home, maybe it will have fixed itself! I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that didn't help. If I can't get it to work on Ubuntu, I will try installing it on my laptop, which runs Windows 7.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
From the link
# Look inside the folder you chose for your calibre library. If you see a file named metadata.db, delete it."

I just looked inside mine and that file is there. Should I delete it? Or is that only for those having problems?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The metadata.db file is used by Calibre to both track what books are in your library, and also holds all the metadata changes you make. Therefore if you delete this file you are effectively setting Calibre to a 'virgin' state with an empty library so deleting this file is very much a last resort.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
# Look inside the folder you chose for your calibre library. If you see a file named metadata.db, delete it."

I just looked inside mine and that file is there. Should I delete it?
NO, this is the heart of calibre and should only be deleted by folks looking to start over from scratch.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The metadata.db file is used by Calibre to both track what books are in your library, and also holds all the metadata changes you make. Therefore if you delete this file you are effectively setting Calibre to a 'virgin' state with an empty library so deleting this file is very much a last resort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
NO, this is the heart of calibre and should only be deleted by folks looking to start over from scratch.
Gotcha.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
qwerty57

Well, I finally got around to installing it on my laptop, which uses windows 7. It works great! I still couldn't get it to work on my desktop's Ubuntu OS though.