Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sony has TWO versions of the Reader software

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
I already HAVE the latest edition of Adobe 1.7.1 and my computere already IS authorized to it. The Sony Reader library still will not open at all. It was working PERFECTLY before I had to backup and restore my entire hard drive to a new blank hard drive, after which it stopped working. I was on the phone for hours with the Sony engineers and they said many others have been having this same problem and they are still working to find out what is wrong. Has anyone been able to fix this problem yet?
Sony has two versions of the Reader software. When you install Sony 3.1, be sure to UNINSTALL the prior version. The new version may not work if the old version is still on the disk. The new version installation does NOT uninstall the old version automatically.

Also, the new hard drive may have to be registered with Adobe 1.7.1 AGAIN. Since the book files have DRM associated with the particular hard drive, you will probably have to re-download them again. The old book files will probably be useless now.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-20-2009 at 11:34 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Sony has two versions of the Reader software. When you install Sony 3.1, be sure to UNINSTALL the prior version. The new version may not work if the old version is still on the disk. The new version installation does NOT uninstall the old version automatically.

Also, the new hard drive may have to be registered with Adobe 1.7.1 AGAIN. Since the book files have DRM associated with the particular hard drive, you will probably have to re-download them again. The old book files will probably be useless now.
Um.. if you run eBook Library and check for a new version, you will be able to UPGRADE to Reader Library. No need to uninstall eBook Library first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Um.. if you run eBook Library and check for a new version, you will be able to UPGRADE to Reader Library. No need to uninstall eBook Library first.
I did this both ways. I upgraded from the old program, it didn't work. I uninstalled all old programs and associated files from the Control Panel and reinstalled the new program fresh (did this MULTIPLE times), still did not work. I went into Adobe DE to associate my PC again and it says my computer already is associated and did not give me an option to redo.

To reiterate, I had already upgraded to the new version 3.1 BEFORE my system was restored to the new hard drive and it HAD been working perfectly up to then. After the transfer of my system image to the new hard drive EVERY program on my system remained working perfectly EXCEPT the Sony Reader program. It is the ONLY one that will not open at all even though it was working before the system transfer.

Last edited by leday; 12-20-2009 at 12:06 PM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

I believe the software registers to the COMPUTER, not the hard drive on the computer. When I open Adobe it states my COMPUTER is already authorized. My computer is the same, just the hard drive was replaced. All software that I had on my old hard drive works perfectly after transfer to the new drive, except for Sony Reader Library. It is the ONLY program that now won't open, even though it DID before the transfer.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #20
azlkk
azlkk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, iPad
With a PC running XP I see Reader Library.exe running in the task manager and that's about it. My PRS-700 shows that it's connected to the PC, but Library does not open. I have to use Calibre to see what's on the reader, and even that doesn't work all the time. I had the same problem with 3.0.

While I like the reader, I find it amazing that a company the size and reputation of Sony can hose up something like this so consistently. I've been through several generations of iPods and never once had an synch issue.
azlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Must uninstall old after installing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You MUST uninstall the old version MANUALLY AFTER installing the new version. The new installation does NOT uninstall the old version.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
62Healey
62Healey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I haven't had the time to further diagnose the problem (Christmas and all) but try this as a stop-gap. It isn't elegant, but it appears to work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=65074&page=3

Post #45.

If there is a more clever way to do this cross posting, if someone would kindly point it out...

Last edited by 62Healey; 12-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.
62Healey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Healey View Post
If there is a more clever way to do this cross posting, if someone would kindly point it out...
Click on the post # within the thread (at the top right corner of every post, in this case #45) to display that single post. Within the URL can be found the internal post number. The internal post number is everything after the "p=" and before "&postcount". In this case the internal post number is "701484".

Then use the "POST" BB code. Example:

Have you tried the method at this post?

Press on the "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of this post to see how the code is used.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
62Healey
62Healey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Click on the post # within the thread (at the top right corner of every post, in this case #45) to display that single post. Within the URL can be found the internal post number. The internal post number is everything after the "p=" and before "&postcount". In this case the internal post number is "701484".

Press on the "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of this post to see how the code is used.
Ah-ha! Easy as pie. Now don't I feel sheepish. And thanks for cleaning up my mess of a post as well.

Last edited by 62Healey; 12-21-2009 at 08:16 PM.
62Healey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #25
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post

Tried it. Didn't work. Still don't understand why software is not opening even though it shows running process in Task Manager. I really want to get this to work on my PC. Calibre doesn't recognize the LRX books I had already had downloaded from Sony and I really would like to get these converted to EPUB so I can read them using Calibre and/or ADE. Also, Calibre doesn't seem to recognize the Collections I had set up on on my Reader and I really want to keep my books in Collections on the reader itself, not just on the PC software library. Can Calibre do this (transfer collections to the Sony Reader so that they actually show up as collections on the reader when you touch the "collections" menu on the reader screen, and if so, how?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #26
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Tried it. Didn't work. Still don't understand why software is not opening even though it shows running process in Task Manager. I really want to get this to work on my PC. Calibre doesn't recognize the LRX books I had already had downloaded from Sony and I really would like to get these converted to EPUB so I can read them using Calibre and/or ADE. Also, Calibre doesn't seem to recognize the Collections I had set up on on my Reader and I really want to keep my books in Collections on the reader itself, not just on the PC software library. Can Calibre do this (transfer collections to the Sony Reader so that they actually show up as collections on the reader when you touch the "collections" menu on the reader screen, and if so, how?
When I installed the new Reader Store, I allowed it to launch right away. Just to make sure it worked then I closed it. Later I tried to reopen thru the link pined to the Start Menu and it didn’t work. Checked my desktop and there was an icon for the Reader Library and it worked. So I looked at the path for each link, and they were different! Found the .exe files on my computer and tested them. The C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Reader Library.exe works fine. The C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\launcher\Reader Library Launcher.exe does not work at all.

Although I do not have the program open now it still shows up in running process in Task Manager. I believe this is normal, but then I am not a computer wiz.

Other notes about the new software: When viewing all my eBooks the “Sort” does not work properly for the “Size” and “Date” columns. Frustrating, since I don’t like to sync - just copy my new books to the reader. I have also been getting “Not Responding” notices but the program still works….

Collections: from my experience if you create a Collection in the Sony software it will not show up as a collection in Calibre and vice-versa. In Calibre if I drag a book to my reader it automatically creates a collection based on the tags of the book or adds it to a collection that Calibre already created.

Well, hopefully this info will help someone!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #27
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
When I installed the new Reader Store, I allowed it to launch right away. Just to make sure it worked then I closed it. Later I tried to reopen thru the link pined to the Start Menu and it didn’t work. Checked my desktop and there was an icon for the Reader Library and it worked. So I looked at the path for each link, and they were different! Found the .exe files on my computer and tested them. The C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Reader Library.exe works fine. The C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\launcher\Reader Library Launcher.exe does not work at all.

Although I do not have the program open now it still shows up in running process in Task Manager. I believe this is normal, but then I am not a computer wiz. !

The reader library LAUNCHER is not the reader library program itself and you will not "see" anything happen if you click this. It is the program that allows the library to launch automatically when it detects that you have connected your reader to the PC, I believe, and it runs in the background when you start up your PC. Both programs will show running in Task Manager. My links are correct. The program will start running in the Task Manager and will just hang from there. The program just does not open the application at all.

Quote:
Other notes about the new software: When viewing all my eBooks the “Sort” does not work properly for the “Size” and “Date” columns. Frustrating, since I don’t like to sync - just copy my new books to the reader. I have also been getting “Not Responding” notices but the program still works….!
I have also noticed this and it is indeed frustrating.

Quote:
Collections: from my experience if you create a Collection in the Sony software it will not show up as a collection in Calibre and vice-versa. In Calibre if I drag a book to my reader it automatically creates a collection based on the tags of the book or adds it to a collection that Calibre already created.

Well, hopefully this info will help someone!
Thanks. I guess I would just have to make NEW collections in Calibre if I can't get the Sony library to launch...OR else use my laptop where the sony library is actually working. I just want this program to work on my main computer. It is also frustrating that Calibre will not allow you to open and read purchased books that have DRM on them, so I would have to use ADE for the actual reading if I am at the PC and not using my Reader at the time. Sigh.

Last edited by leday; 12-22-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #28
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whoops, submitted twice.

Last edited by goldilocks; 12-22-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Double message
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #29
goldilocks
Addict

Actually when I installed the new Reader Library it automatically pined a shortcut to my start menu to Reader Library Launcher.exe. Why would it do that if it is not supposed to work like any other shortcut?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #30
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
The reader library LAUNCHER is not the reader library program itself and you will not "see" anything happen if you click this. It is the program that allows the library to launch automatically when it detects that you have connected your reader to the PC, I believe, and it runs in the background when you start up your PC. Both programs will show running in Task Manager. My links are correct. The program will start running in the Task Manager and will just hang from there. The program just does not open the application at all.
I'm at a loss as to what further action to suggest. I have the latest version of Reader Library working on my PC using Vista and on my Netbook using XP SP3 and both are working fine. I didn't, however, have to replace a hard drive and restore from an image.

I think that the first thing the Reader Library does is go out and check if there has been a new release. So if it can't get out, it would probably hang. On my XP, I have two program exceptions in my firewall that the installation of Reader Library created. You have probably already checked this, but just in case, here are the exceptions:

C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Reader Library.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\launcher\Reader Library Launcher.exe
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote