Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
dreamer
dreamer began at the beginning.

Device: 600
Can't open Reader Library

Hi,

When the new version of the library came out, I installed it when prompted to do so. I have not been able to open it once since then, every time it just says "Reader Library has stopped working". It won't even start opening it.

Any ideas??
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I'm in the same boat. After spending well over an hour with the "help" desk staff, I was told they couldn't help me and to call their telephone people to correct my issues. They felt it is a software conflict problem, beyond their level of help.
I haven't gotten arround to calling them.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
cbnash
cbnash began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Have you attached the reader? Same thing happened to me, the program
would not open. I decided to attach reader, and the program launched.
Strange.
cbnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
MJH
MJH began at the beginning.

Device: MOT SURE ITS MY WIFES
Same Issues

Reader Library Software Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife installed the software some time ago (1 yr) and it all worked fine.

About 2 weeks ago she received an error message (she doesn't remember exactly what it said).

After that message she has been unable to open the program

We have removed the program (the right way---thru control panel) multiple times and reinstalled it. It shows that it is there and is the right size.

We have the icon and when we click on it it pauses a second and then NOTHING.

I have temporarily turned off McAfee and the Firewall and that did not help either.

We have contact Sony elibrary help and they were none.

My wifes computer is a Gateway laptop with Windows XP

It works on all other househould computers.

I have tried the DEP fix and that did not work

Thanks in advance
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I have the same issue.I was again on the phone with Sony this evening,and apparently they believe it is a software conflict,that they can't resolve (its quite ironic,because this updated version of the software works on my Macbook,my netbook but NOT my Sony Vaio laptop.) Anyways,the tech said they've been having issues and conflicts (particularly with some firewalls and antivirus) and that they hope the next version will resolve....

The machine I'm having trouble with is running Vista Business ,tried uninstalling,reinstalling,the DEP fix,disabling and uninstalling my antivirus etc-and still same issue.Software starts up,but as soon as I click on ebook store-it crashes.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Is anyone having a problem accessing the Reader Store?
I just downloaded the Reader Library version 3.1. It shows all of my ebooks, but I get the message "Unable to access ebook store". Now way back when I first got my PRS700, I had a similar problem. After much conversation with Sony tech support and my ISP, we found that the proxy for the content filter (provided by my ISP) conflicted with Sony's proxy server. My ISP kept trying to write an exception into my filter to allow access to the Sony store without any success. Well, maybe 6 months ago, all of sudden I could access the store and have not had a problem since, until just now after downloading the new version. Coincidence??
I noticed the following on their support page:
Q. Cannot connect to the eBook store.
A. Is a security service specifically provided by your Internet service provider used?
If used, deactivate the service temporarily and connect to the eBook store. (The Reader Library communication may be blocked by the service.) For details on how to deactivate the service, consult your Internet service provider.

I haven't called them (my ISP) yet, but just was wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
I have the same problem. The new version of the software was working FINE prior to today when I had to replace my internal hard drive and restore my entire system to it. Before the new blank drive was replaced, I did a complete system backup to an external hard drive. The old internal drive was removed, the new drive installed and I did a complete Restore of my entire system, which worked perfectly. The operating system and ALL applications and programs were restored just the way they were before the replacement and ALL Work just fine EXCEPT my Sony Reader Library software. Now it will not open. Click on icon, nothing happens, even though the exe program shows up in the running processes in Task Manager. I performed numerous uninstalls and reinstalls, reboots, etc and nothing. I even reinstalled my OLD ebook library software version 2.5 from the CD rom and THAT worked BUT....it opened up OK but when I tried to go to the Ebook store it said that there was an update to the software but after the update was downloaded the same problem came back. The program is installed, but clicking on the icon does not open it. Can anyone help here? The program works fine on my laptop, but no longer on my desktop. HELP!
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow, frustrating for all.

I haven't upgraded to the new 3.1 yet, but I have been saving threads with comments on problems and fixes. You may find the below threads helpful:

Fix your Sony PRS-505 Reader Library software!

NEW? Sony Reader Program - ?????

Sony Reader 3.1 software - bad again?

Books unavailable

Epub coming to the Sony Store on 11 December

Hopefully, something mentioned in the above threads will help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Possible fix

Don't forget to go to www.adobe.com and register there with an ID and password. Then enter that information on your account screen at the Sony Store.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I already have an account id and password registered with adobe. the problem is that I can't even OPEN the reader library software. I click on the icon and nothing happens, even though the exe files are shown as running in task manager.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Add it to the DEP exclusion list. I don't know why they don't just remove their buggy software protection (which doesn't protect anything...) or at least update it to handle Vista and Win 7.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Is anyone having a problem accessing the Reader Store?
I just downloaded the Reader Library version 3.1. It shows all of my ebooks, but I get the message "Unable to access ebook store". Now way back when I first got my PRS700, I had a similar problem. After much conversation with Sony tech support and my ISP, we found that the proxy for the content filter (provided by my ISP) conflicted with Sony's proxy server. My ISP kept trying to write an exception into my filter to allow access to the Sony store without any success. Well, maybe 6 months ago, all of sudden I could access the store and have not had a problem since, until just now after downloading the new version. Coincidence??
I noticed the following on their support page:
Q. Cannot connect to the eBook store.
A. Is a security service specifically provided by your Internet service provider used?
If used, deactivate the service temporarily and connect to the eBook store. (The Reader Library communication may be blocked by the service.) For details on how to deactivate the service, consult your Internet service provider.

I haven't called them (my ISP) yet, but just was wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else.
Your ISP needs to write an exception for Reader Library into their content filter. But one solution though is to go with an ISP that doesn't have a content filter. All that does is treat you like a child.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Adobe Digital Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
I already have an account id and password registered with adobe. the problem is that I can't even OPEN the reader library software. I click on the icon and nothing happens, even though the exe files are shown as running in task manager.
Download the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions. Then authorize your PC within it. It may now be required to have Adobe Digital Editions installed to open Sony Reader 3.1
Then open Sony Reader 3.1, go to the Sony Store and, in addition to your Sony ID and password, enter your Adobe ID and password there as well.

Then, with Sony Reader open, connect your approved Sony Readers and register them AGAIN even if registered before.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Add it to the DEP exclusion list. I don't know why they don't just remove their buggy software protection (which doesn't protect anything...) or at least update it to handle Vista and Win 7.
I already did this too. Nothing happens. I have XP, not Vista or Win 7.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Download the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions. Then authorize your PC within it. It may now be required to have Adobe Digital Editions installed to open Sony Reader 3.1
Then open Sony Reader 3.1, go to the Sony Store and, in addition to your Sony ID and password, enter your Adobe ID and password there as well.

Then, with Sony Reader open, connect your approved Sony Readers and register them AGAIN even if registered before.
I already HAVE the latest edition of Adobe 1.7.1 and my computere already IS authorized to it. The Sony Reader library still will not open at all. It was working PERFECTLY before I had to backup and restore my entire hard drive to a new blank hard drive, after which it stopped working. I was on the phone for hours with the Sony engineers and they said many others have been having this same problem and they are still working to find out what is wrong. Has anyone been able to fix this problem yet?