Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
FredD
FredD began at the beginning.

Device: epub
InDesign and epub

I am just beginning to dip my toes into ebook creation and am not sure whether the outcome I am producing is the "way it is", or because I am doing something wrong.

I exported my first project from InDesign to the epub format. When the document is opened in an ereader (Stanza or Digital Editions) all the text is the style and weight.

When I open one of the html documents produced, all the text styles are converted to paragraph tags to which classes are attached with names that link in some way to the InDesign Style names. There are also spans (<span class="generated-style">) wrapping the inside of every element which appear to serve no purpose at all.

What I would like is to attach html heading tags to my my subheading styles so that I get something a little more semantically correct. And also loose the extraneous spans.

Tips, links, advice for getting up to speed with InDesign and epub would be helpful.

Quote:
<p class="subhead01-sec01" id="toc-anchor">
<span class="generated-style">Introduction</span>
</p>

<p class="paragraphs-paragraph-1st">
<span class="generated-style">School shootings, gang activity, armed robberies gone awry, desperate calls for attention, young children discovering weapons they can’t handle and simple arguments that escalate too far. Gun violence takes the lives of thousands in the United States each year.</span>
</p>
FredD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
setzer
Enthusiast
setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle2, Palm, iPhone
---sorry for my bad english ---

i think u have to detach Character-Styles to the text-passages that are italic/bold/etc.
then export it and the style attached to "span"-tags won't be generated-style anymore but the character style u had given to it.
Some other Spans are created because of "bastards" (donno if it's called like that in english...) in your paragraph styles.

me always find/replace text passages that are italic/etc. and attach a character-style to it. so the bastards shouldn't be there anymore.

hope that's helpful... lol
setzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
FredD
FredD began at the beginning.

Device: epub
Thanks for the reply Setzer.
I usually don't apply inline character styling and use defined styles, but I don't know if I have defined character choices in each paragraph style.

Also InDesign seems to treat every paragraph as a <p> -- rather than mapping styles to other HTML tags like h1-h5. This is normal? Is there am option I am overlooking which will enable mapping subheading to h(1-5) tags?

TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by setzer View Post
i think u have to detach Character-Styles to the text-passages that are italic/bold/etc.
FredD is offline   Reply With Quote