Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Nuvomedia Rocket and Softbook eBook readers 1999 review

Just found an interesting article about the launch (almost 10 years ago) of the Nuvomedia Rocket and Softbook eBook readers entitled:
Devices turn the page on how we read
Two view-only products offer clear text and some useful features but don’t quite qualify as classics.

By Thomas R. Temin
Government Computer News Staff
August 23, 1999 issue
For those that can remember (and relish) those early daysl

Too bad these devices failed to spark interest in the then fledgling ebook community!

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-18-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: improved formatting
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Just found an interesting article about the launch (almost 10 years ago) of the Nuvomedia Rocket and Softbook eBook readers entitled "Devices turn the page on how we read" Two view-only products offer clear text and some useful features but don’t quite qualify as classics.

By Thomas R. Temin
Government Computer News Staff
August 23, 1999 issue

For those that can remember (and relish) those early daysl

Too bad these devices failed to spark interest in the then fledgling ebook community!
I was one of the early adopters for the Nuvomedia Rocket Ebook. It was a fantastic device, and My wife and I were still using it until she dropped it last year. That's when we bought our prs-500.

The resolution of the screen was great for text (although images weren't that great), and the backlight, dictionary, and note-taking capabilities were fantastic.

I still miss that device. The next generation devices that RCA built, and ebookwise sells, are good, but I didn't like my ebookwise 1150 as well as I liked the Rocket Ebook.

Nuvomedia was just way before their time on this one.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
The next generation devices that RCA built, and ebookwise sells, are good, but I didn't like my ebookwise 1150 as well as I liked the Rocket Ebook.
I came into the ebook reader scene 5 years after their launch and have never seen nor used one of these early devices. However, I have to agree that the ebookwise 1150 is my least favourite with the REB1200 the most and the REB1100 in the middle, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't say I "hate" any of them, though, and I'm not ready to abandon something that works well for an e-ink device that "misses the boat" on so many levels that these early readers nailed first time running!!!

Just replace/update the screen and memory card to e-ink and SD card and I would be in bliss!
Old 10-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are wiki articles on these old devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Just replace/update the screen and memory card to e-ink and SD card and I would be in bliss!
I think they could just use a color LCD screen with a higher resolution and use SD card. If they could be able to stay near the current 1150 price I'd love them.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
I think they could just use a color LCD screen with a higher resolution and use SD card. If they could be able to stay near the current 1150 price I'd love them.
I think that would be a wonderful idea. Break the colour (and low-resolution) barrier with a better LCD screen (ala Palm PDA only bigger) instead of eink! Then they would have to rig some sort of adapter for SM->SD cards and we would be set!!!

I think that ETI's has had the 1150 "colour" LCD screen idea for a while as evident by the last entry in the 'Read Me.txt' from the eBook Publisher install, namely
Code:
	Need a color vs. grayscale viewing option for the Grayscale HalfVGA
	preview to anticipate development of HalfVGA content for color
	devices.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
Does anyone know where I can re-download some of the free ebooks that used to be available for the Rocket Reader? There was one that I had that was set in Southeast Asia on coastal sailboats - written by someone like Jack London. I can't remember the title or the author's name, but I really liked that book and I'd like to get a download of it if anyone still has it.
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringecup View Post
Does anyone know where I can re-download some of the free ebooks that used to be available for the Rocket Reader? There was one that I had that was set in Southeast Asia on coastal sailboats - written by someone like Jack London. I can't remember the title or the author's name, but I really liked that book and I'd like to get a download of it if anyone still has it.
I might have a copy if you can recall what it is.
I've got quite a few .rb files from the old Rocket Library; the Jack London ones I have are:
Adventure.rb
Before Adam.rb
Burning Daylight.rb
Call of the Wild.rb
Faith of Men.rb
Game.rb
Human Drift.rb
Iron Heel.rb
Jacket.rb
Jerry of the Islands.rb
Jerry.rb
John Barleycorn.rb
Love of Life and other stories.rb
Martin Eden.rb
Michael.rb
MoonFace and other stories.rb
Night Born.rb
People of the Abyss.rb
Red One.rb
Sea Wolf.rb
Smoke Bellew.rb
South Sea Tales.rb
Strength of the Strong.rb
Tales of the Fish Patrol.rb
Tales of the Klondyke.rb
To Build a Fire.rb
Valley of the Moon.rb
White Fang.rb
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
For rb there are quite a few sites that still offer this format. I sometimes use it to convert to imp as the converter is quite good. Munsey's and even fictionwise multiformat I believe still have this format. There are more of the same ilk.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
Thanks so much for the intormation, folks! I think that the book I've been looking for might be Jack London's "South Sea Tales". I'll see if I can get it either for the RocketBook or for my Sony 600 in a different format. If I can't, then maybe I can get it from you, Sparrow. And thenks again!
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Munsey's and even fictionwise multiformat I believe still have this format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringecup View Post
Jack London's "South Sea Tales". I'll see if I can get it either for the RocketBook
This ebook, South Sea Tales, is available at www.munseys.com and can be downloaded in various ebook formats including .rb (Rocket eBook) and .epub.