Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast
HawaiianLungs began at the beginning.

Device: Dell x51v, SONY eReader 505, Lenovo T61
reader outside the US and Travel

I am looking for an ereader. I think the Iliad is too big and I have heard bad reliability problems. The last thing I need ti to have an ereader have problems in China.

I have narrowed things down to the SONY and the Kindle. I have learned that even if you are out of the US, you can get books with a PC. So the issue of getting books is the same, I think.

I am concerned with several issues. First readability. My eyesight is not the best. I see the SONY has 3 steps of magnification, but the Kindle has 6. This favors the Kindle. Any comments on either reader in terms of readability?

I travel a lot. I will place my reader in a carry on, but security being what it is, the reader will be jostled, moved, and maybe dropped a foot. Any comments on how they travel?

Any comments on these readers in terms of travel outside the US?

I suspect both will need to be returned to the US for repairs, if needed.

Maybe I will read pdf's without too much in the way of drawings. I am a doctor, and get many pdf's to read.

I know that the next generationj of readers will be better. Maybe what I am looking for is an entry one.

Any comments on cases for travel?

I am leaning to the SONY. I know Amazon has a better selection of books, but I am not an avid reader. I think the SONY site has what I want.Only an occasional one. I am very computer savvy, and I like the technology.

I am just concerned with traveling and readability.

Maybe with the reader I will read more. I think that the reason I do not read more is eyesight. I can read, but I have to concentrate too much. I am lazy. I have seen the SONY at Borders here in Honolulu and I will read at the largest font size.

Is the Kindle's font sizes a lot bigger?

I have heard that compared to the SONY, the Kindle is much bigger. Maybe it will not travel well.
HawaiianLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here's a post with images of all the Kindle font sizes. Hopefully this will help a bit.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=4
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

Thank you

The fonts of the Kindle really helped a lot. Are there equvalent pictures of the SONY for comparison?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianLungs View Post
The fonts of the Kindle really helped a lot. Are there equvalent pictures of the SONY for comparison?
Not that I know of but maybe a Sony user will come along and be able to help.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

Thank you. I have spent hours reading many threads. Maybe someone will add something. I spend a lot of time in Thailand, and if something breaks or I can't use the device, I will have a problem.
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thank you. I have spent hours reading many threads. Maybe someone will add something. I spend a lot of time in Thailand, and if something breaks or I can't use the device, I will have a problem.
Right now it looks like if you break your Kindle, you'll have to buy a new one. If you break your Sony, it can be repaired but the cost is close to the cost of the original. Now, there may be some kind of insurance you can purchase along with the Sony but I'll have to let someone who knows chime in on that one.

Whichever reader you choose, treat it as you would your laptop. Make sure it's well protected and doesn't get jostled around too much.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Right now it looks like if you break your Kindle, you'll have to buy a new one. If you break your Sony, it can be repaired but the cost is close to the cost of the original. Now, there may be some kind of insurance you can purchase along with the Sony but I'll have to let someone who knows chime in on that one.

Whichever reader you choose, treat it as you would your laptop. Make sure it's well protected and doesn't get jostled around too much.
If you break a Gen3, Bookeen will charge you €120 for a replacement which is, I think, pretty reasonable (given that a new machine is €350).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I have explained on a different thread, the Sony's font size is defined by the book's creator, so it's not possible to give a "representative" illustration. On the Kindle and the Gen3, the user selects the font size.

All three machines - Kindle, Sony and Gen3 - use an identical screen.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

Perhaps some SONY ereader people can look at the Kindle fonts and tell me where they lie? Specifically, I like the fourth font from the smallest. Is that bigger than the SONY large or the same.

What I am looking for is someone to look at these Kindle fonts and tell me which ones the SONY ereader can do.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
For the fonts aspect, you will want a Cybook!

You can use any font you want - hell I have a font of my own handwriting on mine, just for the fun.
You can chose 12 sizes for the font... and... this one no other reader have today this possibility, you can change to bold any font, making much more readable in less light environments and or at night (my use for it)

Good shopping.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you break a Gen3, Bookeen will charge you €120 for a replacement which is, I think, pretty reasonable (given that a new machine is €350).
Are you sure? If I take a hammer and smash my Cybook will I get a new one for 120 euro?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What "level" of damage they'll give you a replacement for at that price I have no idea, but certainly that's the replacement cost if you break the screen, and that's by far the most common damage.

Perhaps you'd like to do an experiment and find out?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Perhaps some SONY ereader people can look at the Kindle fonts and tell me where they lie? Specifically, I like the fourth font from the smallest. Is that bigger than the SONY large or the same.

What I am looking for is someone to look at these Kindle fonts and tell me which ones the SONY ereader can do.
Please read what I'm telling you.

You can't say "is such and such a font on the Kindle bigger than the Sony Large?", except in the case of a specific book. The creator of a book on the Sony specifies what size the font is, not the person reading it. Different books on the Sony Reader therefore have different font sizes.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
deleted
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your comments. I have found out that my glasses have a faulty prescription, so fonts are less of an issue.

Tags
duck!, puppy!