Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #91
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What dictionary issue please?
When you look up for a word in dictionary you cannot get the keyboard. This was discussed in this thread.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #92
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_bear View Post
When you look up for a word in dictionary you cannot get the keyboard. This was discussed in this thread.
fixed!
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #93
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The right margin text overflow issue in the dictionary seems to be solved. Tested only with a Dutch dictionary.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #94
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Thank you Uschiekid and Anak.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #95
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Strange, I just synced my Touch twice, no firmware updates (currently 2.5.1)
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #96
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
I hated the text being so much close to the top in sideloaded epubs. I used to set a margin in every book. Now i use the Kepub plugin so for me the title on top is welcome. Maybe i am the only one! :-)

No, you are not alone. It just doesn't bother me.

Still, I can somewhat understand others frustration. There should be an option to turn it off.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #97
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Now this makes sense...I mean even just using the term "full screen mode"....no one at Kobo can claim that concept is too complicated for the average user to give them this option! Almost any screen based gadget has this option SOMEWHERE....even our Kobos do, with the covers in sleep mode!!

PERFECT SOLUTION!
Sure, a full screen mode can be implemented. Not just sleep covers are full screen. In kepubs all images that are equal or larger than the screen resolution are displayed full screen: hiding header and footer. This is not the case with epub where the footer is displayed.

See this really old ereading device (and I still own one). Full screen mode, pdf reflow).

Pandigital Novel 6" Personal eReader - Canadian edition

Canada: with Kobo shop integration! (Model Number: R6E2WHK8EU)
US: Barnes and Noble shop integration (PRD06E20WWH8)
Also sold under other brandnames: Icarus Sense, bq/booq Avant, ProMedia eBook Reader, OYO, and many others. These are branded versions of a Qisda reference design.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pandigital-novel-6-manual.pdf (1.03 MB, 179 views)

Last edited by Anak; 05-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #98
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It should be working fine with the main memory. As GeoffR said, when resending books and covers, sometimes you need to restart the device to clear any cached images. But sending a new book shouldn't have a problem.

Can you check if the image file is written to "./kobo/images/" after sending the book? The image file name is constructed from the books file path, so you should be able to search for part of that name. The extension is "parsed" but it is a JPEG.
I have restarted the device, but still no covers, except for the one that I am reading (apart from that one the home screen is empty), the image files, or at least some of them are in ./kobo/images/
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #99
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
No, you are not alone. It just doesn't bother me.

Still, I can somewhat understand others frustration. There should be an option to turn it off.
Count me in this camp too. In fact, I actually prefer the title in the top margin, as it more accurately reflects the environment/view of a dead tree book.

But to each his/her own!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #100
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Same over here, I usually don't get updates when they are just announced. I assume they roll them out some regions first then the rest afterwards. Not sure why or what order there is. Since you are in Canada I would have assumed you'd get updates when they are first available.
But I'm okay with that for it allows me to hear about the update before I could inadvertently synch my reader to it.
And in cases like with firmware 2.5.2 I know about it being an unwanted firmware iteration and have the choice of not downloading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Strange, I just synced my Touch twice, no firmware updates (currently 2.5.1)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #101
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is about right:

- kepubs have always had the title at the top of the screen.
- epubs have never had this until 2.5.2. With 2.5.2, the title is there.

This change turned up in the latest beta with no explanation for it. And our displeasure was expressed. Or at least mine was
Just to add my vote ... I'm staying on 2.5.1 because I *do not want* the title wasting valuable real estate on my screen.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #102
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
This strikes me as an effort to make the experience on Kobo devices more consistent between kepubs and epubs. Kobo has always been in favour of the title information on the top line... kepubs have been that way for years now.

Given that Kobo believes the formatting choice has value, it doesn't really surprise me that they've had it implemented on the epub side of things.

Just sucks for those who used the difference in rendering engines to their advantage. They have my sympathy. Me, I just don't care. I get into a kepub on the Touch and I don't even notice the title bar.

Wish that PDF ghosting had been fixed though... I was disappointed to read the retraction later in this thread.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #103
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
This strikes me as an effort to make the experience on Kobo devices more consistent between kepubs and epubs.
I think you might be right.

Kobo

Also staying on older firmware here. No nice new features to upgrade for and I don't want something taking up more space on the screen.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #104
Anak
Fanatic

Let do some simple math. I'll use my Touch.
Horizontal resolution: 600 px
Vertical resolution: 800 px
Diagonal: 6" screen (15.24cm)
Display size: 3.6" × 4.8" (9.14cm × 12.19cm)
Source: DPI Calculator / PPI Calculator
My own height measurements of header and footer (using a measuring tape)
Header: 0.80cm
Footer: 1.20cm
Total height of header and footer: 2cm.
The header and footer use (block) 16.41% of the screen. Just 83.59% is available for reading.

The actual number of pixels available for reading:
Height: 669 px (83.59% of 800px; rounded)
Width: 600 px (100%; assuming that the left and right margins are zero. Which is not the case when reading kepubs)
Diagonal: 5.39 inches (13.69cm)
Display size: 4.01" × 3.6" (10.19cm × 9.14cm)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #105
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I already showed in another thread that my Sony 5" screen can have as much text as the Kobo Glo 6" screen because of the wasted space at the bottom and the too-wide line spacing. The change that added the title bar to the top of every page in epubs now makes my 5" screen show more than the 6" Kobo screen.

Please get rid of the top title bar or at least an option to turn it off. And do the same for the bottom bar since it is 2x as wide as it needs to be.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote