Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #211
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwilson View Post
Since there's been a bit of interest, I thought I'd upload the latest 'work-in-progress' version of the Calibre plug-in.
Nice. PM me if there's anything you need on my end of things.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #212
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
I tried to make an x-ray with this new plugin and failed. This error message:
XRAY generation failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 208, in run
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 247, in _generate_xray
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 550, in rawml
IndexError: list index out of range
Thanks for the feedback. Is that for all books or just some? (or did you only try on one book?)
mjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #213
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
i tried the plugin with 3 different books and it was the same error.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #214
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
i tried the plugin with 3 different books and it was the same error.
I have a book here which fails with the same error so I should be able to find out what's going wrong.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #215
kindleloh
kindleloh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
[QUOTE=Ephemerality;2481827]That is the intended function. The alias file is there to add extra terms to be matched within the book.

Hi Ephemerality,

I have understand the function and I wanted to use the function, but it works not as you describes it. After canceling the x-ray process (choice aliases question with 'N') I edited the generated aliases file. Then I restart the x-ray process. The console announce the usage of the edited aliases file, but use instead the shelfari content.

kindleloh
kindleloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #216
mjwilson
Connoisseur

Hopefully this newer version is better.
Attached Files
File Type: zip plugin_xray_generator.zip (66.8 KB, 253 views)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #217
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
why don't you post this on Calibre's plugin forum ?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #218
mjwilson
Connoisseur

It seemed premature before it's really working.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #219
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Quote:
It is working great now, no errors so far with 2 books .
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #220
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleloh View Post
I have understand the function and I wanted to use the function, but it works not as you describes it. After canceling the x-ray process (choice aliases question with 'N') I edited the generated aliases file. Then I restart the x-ray process. The console announce the usage of the edited aliases file, but use instead the shelfari content.

kindleloh
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. It will use the edited file for aliases, then download the character list and descriptions from Shelfari, then scan the book for those characters and the aliases that were defined.
Or do you mean that after it processed the book, the X-Ray file doesn't contain any excerpts from the aliases that you used? Posting the log, alias file, and which book may help if this is what's happening.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 04-20-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #221
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
X-Ray in other languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. It will use the edited file for aliases, then download the character list and descriptions from Shelfari, then scan the book for those characters and the aliases that were defined.
Or do you mean that after it processed the book, the X-Ray file doesn't contain any excerpts from the aliases that you used? Posting the log, alias file, and which book may help if this is what's happening.
I've fiddled a little with the command-line version you put on GoogleCode.

Since it relies on Shelfari, it can quite obviously be actually useful for english books only. However, I'm quite confident it could be easily adapted for other languages.

Let me explain what I mean.

I tried to create the X-Ray file with "Incontro con Rama", which is the italian translation of "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke.

Character names are mostly the same in the italian version, and indeed the generated X-Ray file mostly works.

However some places and names are translated differently.

For example, the Italian translations for "Dr. Perera", Rome", "Paris", "Moscow" and "Cylindrical Sea" are "Dottor Perera", "Roma", "Parigi", "Mare cilindrico" and "Mosca".

If I add the translation to the "xyz.aliases" file as an alias for the corresponding english character name everything is OK, but the english name is shown in the X-Ray window of my Kindle, while it's actually never used in the book.

If I add italian character names (which are obviously not provided by Shelfari) they're skipped. If I delete english entries they're added back by XRayBuilder (and no match for those terms is found within the book).
Other infos are automatically detected in the shellfary page and there's no way for overriding them.

It would be nice if XRayBuilder could dump all those infos to some UTF8 text file which could then be manually edited, and to have an option to load it overriding shelfari.

Something like:

Spoiler:

[main]
whatever = ...

[description]
description = At first, only a few things ... behind a Raman airlock door.

[synopsis]
description = Spacemen explore alien spaceship

[characters]
Norton = "Commander of spaceship Endeavour", "alias1", "alias2", ...
Rama = The mysterious flying object

[quotes]
quote1 = "..."

[locations]
Cylindrical Sea = "", "alias1", "alias2"
New York = "An artificial island in the cylindrical sea", "alias1"
Rome = "", "alias1"

Could this be possible?
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #222
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I've fiddled a little with the command-line version you put on GoogleCode.
Hi there, I got your email as well but hadn't had a chance to respond to it.
I was thinking about different options and the first thought I had was to have a feature that replaces the original character's name (the one from Shelfari) with the first alias, so:
"Billy the Kid,Senor Billy,Bill,etc"
would end up dropping the "Billy the Kid" entirely and replacing it with "Senor Billy" on the Kindle.

However, if you wanted fully-translated descriptions as well, dumping the whole thing to a file and reading it back later might be the simplest way to go.

I think Shelfari allows translations to be added to the site as well, which means you could have a totally separate entry for the translated version. Otherwise anyone else who wants to have the book X-Ray Enabled would have to write the descriptions themselves.

I don't have time to add the feature in right now, though. Sometime in the next month I might, but if you/someone wants to give it a go, I could certainly take the patch file and add it to the repo.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #223
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Hi there, I got your email as well but hadn't had a chance to respond to it.
I wrote to you via e-mail because I missed your nickname here (didn't want to bother you). But then I found it and wrote a reply to this thread because I thought it could be an interesting feature for everybody.

Unfortunately I don't actually have the skills to help you with coding but in case you're going to implement this feature I would be glad to help you with testing!

P.S.
I tried adding an italian translation on Shelfari an then creating an X-Ray file: it works perfectly.

Last edited by pirl8; 04-21-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #224
vitalij
vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vitalij ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I tried adding an italian translation on Shelfari an then creating an X-Ray file: it works perfectly.
How did you do this?
I would like to do the same thing for german translation.
vitalij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #225
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalij View Post
How did you do this?
I would like to do the same thing for german translation.
Quick and dirty way:
  1. Log in to shelfari with your amazon account
  2. Click on the books tab and search for any
  3. At the bottom of the page you will find a note "If you can’t find the book you’re looking for, create a new book. If you see duplicate books, combine them"
  4. Click "create a new book"
  5. Follow directions
At the end you should have your language edition of the book. Still looking how to add the translation to an existing book, but this not needed to run XRayBuilder.

Then download XRayBuilder from googlecode, unpack it into a dir of your choice.
I wasn't able to run it by dragging and dropping the mobi file on it so I did it via CMD (actually I don't like Win CMD when dealing with very long prompts and command lines and I useConEmu or Console which are truly resizable).
  • Run the tool passing the book as an argument.
  • Enter your shelfari URL
  • CTRL-C when it asks if you're ok with the aliases downloaded from Shelfari
  • Enter the ext directory and edit the "yourbook.aliases" file as described on the readme file (It seems to me that aliases are case sensitive - check it just in case) and save
  • Run again the previous command and press "Y" or "Enter" when needed
  • At the end you should have an out directory with your xray file
  • Copy the xray file to your kindke device into the yourbook.sdr folder
When you open the menu while reading your book you should now find the "X-Ray" tab.

Last edited by pirl8; 04-22-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, kindle tools, x-ray