Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Educate me please... Overdrive, Adobe Digital Ed, Libraries, Bluefire

Hi... just established my first library account at Singapore National Library. I have some questions.... Please help this free library newbie...

I established account and downloaded my first book while browsing the library on my iMac (safari). I was anticipating the book to open in Overdrive but when I launched the book it opened in Adobe Digital Editions.

That was stupid I then think to myself... I want the book on my iPad. So I did manage to download the book to my iPad with Overdrive (from the library site.)

Seeing that the book worked in Overdrive on my iPad, I went back to my iMac to open the download in Overdrive but I can't. It will not recognize the .acsm file (stays dimmed).

So... I have the book in Digital Editions on iMac and Overdrive on iPad.

Questions...
1.) Why can't I open the .acsm book file in Overdrive on my iMac?
2.) If I had downloaded with overdrive on my iMac would my iMac and iPad sync? (i.e.: does overdrive sync between devices)
3.) Bluefire Reader supports Adobe Digital Rights Managed books... is there any way to use my downloaded .acsm file with Bluefire?

Thanks to all in advance - I'm looking for best way to handle library downloads on my iMac and iPad. You advice is appreciated.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
ok... found how to drop the actual epub file (not the acsm) to Bluefire in on the iPad. With Adobe ebooks "enabled" on Bluefire I can now read the library book in Bluefire. I guess that's another plus for using Bluefire Reader.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
1.) Why can't I open the .acsm book file in Overdrive on my iMac?
Overdirve for Mac (or PC for that matter) doesn't contain any reading software in it. They both rely on ADE for book downloads to those platforms.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Bluefire will open .acsm files directly. You can email them as attachments to your iPad's mailbox for example, or using Dropbox.

It is also possible to have Bluefire open the .acsm directly on iPad from the library web site. Doing so may require using a 'bookmarklet' (javascript fragment) with Mobile Safari (at least it did last time I did this), though if I remember, other browsers (iCab) can do so by setting appropriate browser agent.

Or if you are frustrated by the whole .acsm thing, you can just get Kindle for iOS (or OSX) and use that to read library books. Doesn't cost anything to set up an Amazon account, no computer required. Any highlights and notes you make are saved to your Amazon account where you can get at them even after the book is returned, and unlike Bluefire (or other RMSDK-powered apps like Overdrive Media Console) you can pan/zoom images.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-04-2011 at 03:24 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote