Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, that is on the TODO list, using monocle for an in browser ebook reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #17
rayuki
rayuki began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Any web page (EPUB,PDF...) you see is Downloaded (or you would not see it )
If you have bandwidth: you could run VNC on your (GUI) Host and
run http://www.realvnc.com/products/android/1.1/userguide/ VNC terminal on your honycomb device.
Calibre viewer (or any other program) would be running on the 'server'
I understand that and i actually do have VNC running, i dont think you understand my point so i'll do my best to explain what i had envisioned.

I basically have limited storage on a portable device, and with something like 50gbs of calibre library books I was just saying I would love it if there was some way to "stream" from the Calibre Content Server to a device.

now what i was thinking is something along the lines of how conventional video content is streamed but with books. probally not possible but next best thing would be a way to "open" the file on the host computer but "view" it on the device, so it doesn't ever get stored on the device.

obviously a TEMP file would have to be created on the device, but once you have finished with the book it deletes off the system.

hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The point is that ePub is not a serial format, so it is not really amenable to 'streaming'.

The only way I could see it working is if there was some sort of server side process that could convert the book to HTML and then deliver up the HTML pages on demand. However this is not something I have seen any references to anyone developing such a capability.
That would be just as good, since calibre leaves itself open for such ease of use in terms of converting there would be no problem in converting or even having multiple formats of the same book in my library. Perhaps something could be developed in an app that views the HTML file from a Ebook reader app straight from the content server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually, that is on the TODO list, using monocle for an in browser ebook reader.
awesome thats great to hear! this will be the next best thing to what i was envisioning.

Last edited by rayuki; 07-02-2011 at 01:21 AM.
rayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathia View Post
Wow...I figured there would be more interest in this topic. Looks like I was one of the few wanting to do this.
Not a hiccup so far. Works great.
I seem to recall calibre running as a service several updates ago. What happend to it? Because thats something i would love to have back

regards
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I seem to recall calibre running as a service several updates ago. What happend to it? Because thats something i would love to have back
Hmmmm...

Wasn't ever a part of calibre. Several people have posted questions and solutions. Perhaps that is what you are remembering.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Hmmmm...

Wasn't ever a part of calibre. Several people have posted questions and solutions. Perhaps that is what you are remembering.
No im sure of it.

But it was way back 7. something

then one update it was gone
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Jack are you thinking of this thread --> PHP+Apache web server for calibre ...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #22
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
No im sure of it.

But it was way back 7. something

then one update it was gone
I do not remember this ever being a standard built-in feature However since I do not need that feature I guess it is possible I missed such a change.

There have been plenty of forum threads, though, on how to achieve this.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I do not remember this ever being a standard built-in feature
I'm with itimpi and chaley (august company ) - I don't recall this as ever being part of Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #24
jackastor
Wizard

Nope But since its not running and I cannot for the life of me tell you what version it was I cant offer any more insight other then insisting it was. That said I could be wrong But i dont think i am... I remember when i would run calibre the server would run. I could shut the main calibre down but the server would run on the task bar window with all the other tiny icons from clock to network to sound icons.
Any way it does not do that now. Which is sad as i kind of like the feature.

regards
jack
Old 07-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I suspect that you may have been getting confused by "thinking" that you had shut Calibre by clicking on the 'x' at the top right, but all you had done was minimized it to System Tray (CTRL-Q need to really close). That would of course also leave the Content Server running.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #26
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I remember when i would run calibre the server would run.
The content server always runs if it's turned on and calibre is started.

Quote:
I could shut the main calibre down but the server would run on the task bar window with all the other tiny icons from clock to network to sound icons.
That's not a sign that calibre s running as a service. That's the default setup.
Quote:
Any way it does not do that now. Which is sad as i kind of like the feature.
It should do it now, unless you've turned off tray notification. Mine works that way, and I don't run as a service.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #27
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I suspect that you may have been getting confused by "thinking" that you had shut Calibre by clicking on the 'x' at the top right, but all you had done was minimized it to System Tray (CTRL-Q need to really close). That would of course also leave the Content Server running.
That is entirely possible. I know it was running.. but if thats what it was then thats what i was. It of course does not do that now. At least i cant make it do it anymore. Is it possible to min to system tray again?

update: thanks to Starson17 I found the information I needed about this!!!!

thanks

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 07-03-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #28
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The content server always runs if it's turned on and calibre is started.

That's not a sign that calibre s running as a service. That's the default setup.

It should do it now, unless you've turned off tray notification. Mine works that way, and I don't run as a service.
sorry missed this... where do i turn on the tray notifcation for calibre?

update: Starson17. Thanks for the information I found it. But I never turned it off at least not knowingly. Regardless It was off but now its on. Thank you very much for your tip

regards

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 07-03-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
That is entirely possible. I know it was running.. but if thats what it was then thats what i was. It of course does not do that now. At least i cant make it do it anymore. Is it possible to min to system tray again?

thanks

jack
Preference: Main Interface
Tick the one about Tray Icon
Will require a restart
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #30
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
It would appear that you are correct and thanks to Starson17 for pointing me in the correct direction.